Notices

Best Practice for hard start.

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2009, 10:47 PM
Cheeky_chappers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Practice for hard start.

Hi guys, new top the forum and also very new to scoobies. Got a 2002 wrx bug eye, totally standard (soon remedy that!).

Now, can anyone advise the best way to launch? I don't wanna ruin my engine, don't wanna waste time spinning the wheels and need to know how I can get the most outta the acceleration.

I'll be happy to try out any ideas!!!
Old 04 October 2009, 12:18 AM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Gently.

The thing you'll ruin won't be engine but your clutch will **** itself fairly expediently. Slip it a bit with medium revs until it bites then nail it to preserve clutch, I aim to have the slip stop at about 3,000rpm in 1st to avoid it dropping off boost too much.

Even with a good uprated clutch, I've sidestepped it at 8,000rpm and the clutch was literally biting about an inch higher afterwards pmsl.
Old 04 October 2009, 10:07 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

i have 02 sti running 330 bhp and when off turbo launching its ok,but give it some seriouse revs and it pulls like a ******* !! i did this a couple of weeks ago and maybe put too much revs it went like ****,but got the evilest smell of burnt clutch i have ever smelt on my scoobs,its been fine tho and thats the standard one.
on the subject of clutches wots it cost for new sti newage (02) clutch supply and fit ?
Old 04 October 2009, 11:39 AM
Cheeky_chappers
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that fella, on the subject of ruined clutches etc, before I do any performance mods, do you have any recommendations on parts to upgrade first? obviously I wanna make sure it doesn't blow up in my face otherwise there's no point spending dosh!!! Can't go very fast if it's lying it bits on the drive!
Old 04 October 2009, 09:30 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

i would say panel filter,full decat and remap by one of the pros-i chose simon,jolly green monster for my remap,but dont do exhaust till you can afford the remap as COULD cause damage to engine and you dont want that if funds allow then maybe upgrade to an sti turbo ihi vf35 as you will get more power,you might need fuelpump with these mods but around £80 and easy to fit its worth doing.then we come to more power=i need better brakes and better suspension so you need to think first what you want and what your pockets will allow,hth
Old 04 October 2009, 09:45 PM
Cheeky_chappers
Scooby Newbie

yeah agree with that, i was thinking doing the brakes, suspension etc first as I'm then in no rush to power up (i can save up more then!!) if i do it the other way around I'll be forced to do it all at the same time and therefore have to compromise on ecu de-cat/sportscat etc.

It's prob been discussed on another thread but you know how much a decent remap costs and what it does to fuel economy?