Newage Sports Cat exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2009, 04:15 PM
Gkp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage Sports Cat exhaust

Hi Everyone,
I currently have a Bugeye WRX, completely standard.
Quick question about a sports cat i purchased off ebay. Is there any way of telling how good it is by looking at it, i got it 2nd hand so i dont know if its worth while putting on or not.
Also i have heard if you mix and match exhaust pipes from different manufacturers they may not fit correctly. Can anyone suggest me the most cost effective way of upgrading my full exhaust system?
Ideally i want a sports cat but would be happy with full decat if anyone can tell me if it is handy to replace standard cats for MOT?
sorry i am a bit new to the scooby scene.
Hopefully someone can give me some advice.
Thanks
G.
Old 04 October 2009, 04:33 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best initial mods you can do on a bugeye WRX is a high flow flat panel air filter, Snorkus delete mod and decat uppipe. That should net you around 260+bhp after a remap. Don't be tempted to do the exhaust first as your biggest restriction to more power is the uppipe cat.

Thereafter change the backbox and center pipe for 2.5" internal diameter aftermarket items and if you're feeling very flushed stick a decent sports cat on the end of your OEM downpipe or buy a stainless downpipe with built in 100Cell cat to get you through MOT emissions testing.

You can go decat on your standard exhaust if you drill and take out all three cats. That and the snorkus mod are DIY items.

Go full decat right through if you know a friendly MOT testing station.

Buy exhausts from one manufacturer and it should all fit perfectly.

Last edited by scoobiewrx555; 04 October 2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04 October 2009, 05:40 PM
Gkp
Scooby Regular

What is the snorkus delete mod? And how does it help?
Old 04 October 2009, 05:42 PM
Gkp
Scooby Regular

Would a prodrive sports cat be of much benefit? I was thinking of trying to pick up a second hand full prodrive system. I have a de cat up pipe already just needs to be fitted.
Old 04 October 2009, 06:12 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why bother with a Prodrive system and pay a premium even for 2nd hand Prodrive bits. Don't be fooled into thinking that something stamped with the name Prodrive means it's better than other aftermarket bits. There are plenty of exhausts on the market for reasonable cost. They are cheap enough these days to buy brand new.

Snorkus delete mod deals with modifying the resonator chamber in the drivers side inner wing cavity to allow it to flow cold air to the airbox from the inner wing cavity in conjunction with airflow from the plastic air scoop at the front. The more unrestricted and cooler the airflow the more power you will make if you map for it.

Great mod for over 400bhp+ capability if you use standard MAF sensor linked to a Big MAF tube and an ECU hack. Thereafter maybe think about a cold air induction kit.
Old 04 October 2009, 06:23 PM
Gkp
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info!
Can you or anyone else recommend an affordable exhaust system?
Old 04 October 2009, 09:10 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

tornado exhaust parts from scoobyparts.com are pretty good and competivley priced too.all stainless steel.ring 'em for a catalouge.