Notices

cutting resonator with simtek

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2009, 09:50 AM
mattchew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting resonator with simtek

Hi guys i have seen and heard of a few people on this fourm and othr scoobie fourms cutting thee resonator out of the air in takr my qustion is is there much benefit (as its free) and will it effect the map on my simtek?

its an 03 impreza sti type uk
Old 10 October 2009, 10:52 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have an 03 Sti with a Simtek....How much power are you making??

The standard ECU is a cracking bit of kit and should be plenty good for 350+, and with some hacking of the ECU map and the addition of a large MAF tube you should be good for 400-450bhp with your MAF sensor fitted and it will run like it came from the factory.

More importantly you get to keep knock control which may well save your engine from a possible Big Bang one day. You can also add Launch Control to the std 16-bit ECU but no flat foot shifting till 32-bit ECU's came along on 2006 onwards cars.

The Simtek is a very good aftermarket ECU and i presume you run MAFLESS with the Simtek but as far as i know Simtek doesn't have knock control.

Sorry, not being critical here just a surprise unless you're running big power. By the sounds of it you're probably not making huge power maybe 350ish??, as you're talking about a Snorkus delete mod so you're still running factory standard induction.

I presume you have a high flow flat panel air filter fitted so the Snorkus mod is a good idea as it will ensure you get plenty of unrestricted cool air into your engine. Do the mod, i've logged improvements on customers cars in terms of lower charge temps and more air flow. It shouldn't alter your mapping in any way, the ECU should more than compensate for a tiny bit more airflow and lower charge air temps but you may feel a difference with sharper throttle response and a bit more induction noise which is always nice.

Hope this helps
Old 10 October 2009, 07:08 PM
mattchew
Scooby Regular

ye mate running simtek ecu with ppp and decat running 340 bhp and the simtek does have knock dedectaion

ok thanks bud ill chop it of tomorw if it runs crap ill pop the standard ecu back on for a while until i can get the simtek remapped again

i ahve a uprated panel filter matey think itsgreen panl one

chers
Old 11 October 2009, 01:16 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no knock control on a Simtek. Not been introduced yet but they should be able to retro-refit/reflash older Simteks when they finally do.

You have knock detection so that your check engine light flashes when you have knock so you can back off, but that is generally too late and by which time the damage has already been done, However, there is no knock control so that timing is automatically retarded by a pre-determined amount when knock is detected. Your ECU will back off quicker than you can.

Last edited by scoobiewrx555; 11 October 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11 October 2009, 05:39 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
There's no knock control on a Simtek. Not been introduced yet but they should be able to retro-refit/reflash older Simteks when they finally do.

You have knock detection so that your check engine light flashes when you have knock so you can back off, but that is generally too late and by which time the damage has already been done, However, there is no knock control so that timing is automatically retarded by a pre-determined amount when knock is detected. Your ECU will back off quicker than you can.
>

I take it you dont like the simtek or havent tried one? Im running one on an 02 sti and the drive is far superior to the o/e ecu in my opinion. I have the same mods and roughly the same power output with both ecu's but the drive on the simtek is so much better.