Sensors in the gearbox - classic

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2009, 06:53 PM
Ball172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sensors in the gearbox - classic

Hi all
yesterday my 98 uk turbo came up with the engine management light came on, speedo stopped working, idle sank and fluctuated and the revs were limited to 4500rpm for a short while. After searchng on here i see that its a fairly common problem and points towards the gearbox sensor.
Am i right in thinking there are 2 sensors in the gearbox?? My car played up a few weeks ago and had to have a sensor in the gearbox replaced to clear the CEL.
If its the same sensor gone, what could the reason be for it eating itself??
Any help would be appriciated as i seem to be throwing money at this car left right and centre!!
Old 26 October 2009, 06:57 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The first thing you should be doing is connecting the black plugs under your dash and seeing what error codes the ECU reports. That will take all the guesswork out.

The other thing to mention is that most of the posts you will see round here re the neutral position switch will be with the newage cars' AVCS being turned off because the ECU thinks the car is in neutral. It's not so common on a classic.

There are indeed two sensors on the 'box (speedo head apart) but only one of them (the neutral position switch) is connected to the ECU. The other one just switches the reversing lights on and off.

We'll get to your "eating" question after you tell us what fault codes your ECU is reporting, as the suspicion would be that whatever's causing your current one is not the neutral position switch.

Last edited by Splitpin; 26 October 2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 26 October 2009, 08:29 PM
Ball172
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply.
The neutral position switch is the one which i had replaced a few weeks ago. Mechanic said it couldnt tell whether it was in neutral or in gear so it threw up the CEL. The light wouldnt stay on constantly but come up when u were on overun. This is what its doing this time too but now with the speedo not working.
Will try and check the error codes 2nite.
Old 26 October 2009, 08:50 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ball172
Thanks for the reply.
The neutral position switch is the one which i had replaced a few weeks ago. Mechanic said it couldnt tell whether it was in neutral or in gear so it threw up the CEL.
I have a sneaking suspicion that your mechanic was probably talking from his exhaust pipe, if you get my drift. Usually these sensors fail in such a way that the CEL does not illuminate, and the ECU thinks the car is permanently in gear. The fact that your man has apparently replaced it and the problem hasn't gone away further suggests that the cause is elsewhere.

The light wouldnt stay on constantly but come up when u were on overun. This is what its doing this time too but now with the speedo not working. Will try and check the error codes 2nite.
The ones to watch for are 51 (five long flashes and one short) which is the NPS failure code, and 33, which is the speedo sensor. Wouldn't be surprised to find that you get is something else altogether either instead of or in addition to the other two.

Incidentally has the speedometer suddenly stopped working?
Old 26 October 2009, 09:00 PM
Ball172
Scooby Regular

i know he replaced it cos i was there, it was off a 2nd hand car though but i was told it was working fine as it was a customers car. The car was fine and ran perfect for about 3 weeks and now im getting these new problems.
The speedo was the first sympton i got, it went all mental and then went to zero and hasnt movd since. CEL then lit up and idle is around 200-300rpm. Revs were limited to 4500rpm for a short time also.
Old 26 October 2009, 10:31 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

you need the code before you start thinking what it COULD or MIGHT be.
Old 27 October 2009, 01:08 AM
brashy
Scooby Regular

hi mate i had the same problem once on a classic the car wouldnt rev over 4500rpm an what it was is the 2 sensors on the gearbox an the the speedo cable had snapped so i replaced all of them an the car worked perfect after that
Old 27 October 2009, 06:32 PM
Ball172
Scooby Regular

did the error codes today and its bringing up I.A.C.V and Vehicle Speed Sensor as far as i can tell. The light flashes too quick for my eyes lol
Jacked it up to have a look around but not enough room really so will try n get it in the garage tomorow!
Old 27 October 2009, 06:49 PM
Ball172
Scooby Regular

did the error codes today and its bringing up I.A.C.V and Vehicle Speed Sensor as far as i can tell. The light flashes too quick for my eyes lol
Jacked it up to have a look around but not enough room really so will try n get it in the garage tomorow!