Notices

WRX to STI conversion

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2009, 02:21 PM
scoobye-len
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX to STI conversion

Hi folks I am new to all this so bare with me!!!
I have some questions about my UK 2002 Bug-eye impreza. The engine went bang about a year ago and i am now ready to sort it out!!! I want to put a classic STI lump in as i am told they fit? but in truth i am not too sure about what i can and can’t do!

My plan is to:

1. Fit a classic STI lump into car. (SUBARU IMPREZA STI 92-98 EJ20 ENGINE)
2. Put a TD05H-20g turbo on.
3. Front mounted intercooler

The engines comes with no ancillaries on it, so i was hoping that a lot of my parts on my WRX would transfer over?
Some of my questions are:
1. Will my ECU work with the engine?
2. Would my injectors fit and be sufficient?
3. Would fuel pump be ok?
4. Is the turbo a straight fit and will the feeds to it be standard as the WRX?
5. Anything else that will cause headaches such as gearbox, flywheel etc that i have to consider or buy/modify?

Thanks in antisipation for your help guys.
Len
Old 27 October 2009, 02:52 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Best thing to suggest at the moment is that you do some more reading and searching, as your idea currently has more than a few holes in it, it isn't immediately obvious what you're trying to achieve, and some of your follow-on questions you'll be able to answer yourself with a little more knowledge. It sounds like you're trying to do this on the cheap (by fitting an old engine), but on the other hand seem to be after a power hike.

For starters, fitting a "92-98" long engine (whether STi or otherwise) will cause you a major headache as your newage parts, primarily the inlet manifold, won't fit. You'd therefore be volunteering for a load of hassle fitting a matching classic manifold (plus fuel rails, injectors, idle speed control valve etc. etc.) and connecting it all up both electrically and pipework-wise and trying to make it work with your newage ECU. An early block also won't bolt up completely to your eight bolt TY754xxx gearbox.

Add to that that early STi engines have several achilles heels that were progressively fixed in the newer units, it just doesn't seem the optimal way to go in your situation.

If you're going to fit a classic long engine then the only ones that drop in physically and electrically are 99/00MY EJ205/207's - although with a 207 (STi 5 or 6 engine) you will then be dealing with the need to remap. Your 380cc/min injectors will also need to be replaced if you want to make the most of a turbo like the TD05.

Similarly the FMIC route may or may not be the optimal way to achieve your goals. If you want specific help here it may be easier to tell us what you want to do and how much you want to spend to achieve it.

Also, do you have a definitive cause for the failure of your original engine, and are you fully aware of the damage? If you don't know what went wrong, you really need some specific advice in order to ensure that whatever happened before isn't going to repeat. May also be that getting your own engine rebuilt may get you where you want to be more cost-effectively.

Last edited by Splitpin; 27 October 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 27 October 2009, 02:58 PM
mach
Scooby Regular

only my opinion but why not go for a 2.5 short motor using all your other parts to bolt on then it's only a case of a re-map.
Old 27 October 2009, 03:02 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mach
only my opinion but why not go for a 2.5 short motor using all your other parts to bolt on then it's only a case of a re-map.
This is why I asked about the nature of the damage to his original engine. We don't know as yet what sort of state the heads are in. If they're okay, a short motor exchange of some sort (whether 2l or otherwise) becomes possible. If not...
Old 27 October 2009, 09:42 PM
scoobye-len
Scooby Newbie

Default More info

thanks for the reply guys,
the engine i have seen is a recon STI engine for £1000 from SMR recon engines as below
SUBARU IMPREZA STI 92 - 98 EJ-20 EJ20 ENGINE on eBay (end time 05-Nov-09 11:58:40 GMT)
The car still starts and drives, but sounds like the bottom is gonna drop out any minute!!! it has also done 120k as i used it to commute.
i have about 2k to fix it, but wanted to get it to around 280-300hp with reliability so i thought the sti lump would be better.
i have someone who can swap engines over and stuff like that but no-one who can stripdown and do more of the engineering side of things.
cheers Len
Old 27 October 2009, 09:56 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobye-len
the engine i have seen is a recon STI engine for £1000 from SMR recon engines as below
SUBARU IMPREZA STI 92 - 98 EJ-20 EJ20 ENGINE on eBay (end time 05-Nov-09 11:58:40 GMT)
The car still starts and drives, but sounds like the bottom is gonna drop out any minute!!! it has also done 120k as i used it to commute.
i have about 2k to fix it, but wanted to get it to around 280-300hp with reliability so i thought the sti lump would be better.
i have someone who can swap engines over and stuff like that but no-one who can stripdown and do more of the engineering side of things.
cheers Len
put in the search for threads by the voices and you will find out why you need to put these details help i killed the scoob that will expose how bad these geezers are

Last edited by nick172sport; 28 October 2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: COULD BE LIBELOUS
Old 28 October 2009, 05:51 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobye-len
As has been said that organisation has a very poor reputation, if you need yet another reason not to go this route!

The car still starts and drives, but sounds like the bottom is gonna drop out any minute!!!
That could be any number of different things some of which may be less serious than you fear.

No that's not really applicable. The power level you're looking at can easily be got from bog standard newage WRX engine internals with long-term reliability. There's simply no need to fit an STi engine, and the option you'd chosen, even forgetting about SMR's rep, causes you a whole load of compatibility headache.

Given your budget and intended goals, the first thing I'd probably do in your situation would be to get the car looked at. If the engine is internally damaged, you can then make an educated decision on whether to go for a rebuild or a used/reconditioned engine.

If you do decide to replace rather than rebuild, for 300bhp and given the skills you have available the easiest and most cost-efficient option is probably to get hold of a warranted long engine from an 01/2, or ideally 03/4/5 WRX and drop it straight in. Give APi or Grade A a ring and find out what their going rate for one is.

Incidentally, if your aim is 280-300bhp, the 20G turbo you mentioned up top is the wrong choice. That's a 350bhp+++ turbo

Last edited by Splitpin; 28 October 2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 28 October 2009, 05:58 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

DONT BUY A SMR LUMP!!!! if you got a couple of k to play with go see david @ API. simples!
Old 28 October 2009, 09:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont you just love these threads
Just spend your 2k on getting your engine rebuilt, think about having it remapped later on rather than spending cash on a dodgy old classic engine (new age STI engines are much stronger) then finding your clutch/gearbox etc cant handle the power and need upgrading (along with half the other stuff you mentioned) and spend 5k in total for something you didnt want to do in the first place (when you can buy a decent MY02 STI for all the cash you spent and it will have less miles on the clock).

Tony
Old 28 October 2009, 09:41 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
do not buy from smr they are crooks put in the search for threads by the voices and you will find out why you need to put these details help i killed the scoob that will expose how bad these geezers are
i am sure SMR's legal team drawing up their libel case as we speak. i cannot understand why people do this. instead of PMing the OP and explaining your concerns, you libel a business on a public forum. can't understand why the mods haven't amended this post either.