Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2009, 12:36 PM
16v205
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in head :(

Hi

My wife has a '99 standard impreza turbo uk model and we have a small problem,

It looks like a core plug has fell out the head. Ive spoken to several impreza dealers who havnt a clue what im talking about as its not on there parts system.

Luckily my wife has a friend who has a ej20 engine in the garage so I can take some clear pics of the bit missing.

Is this just a core plug thats rattled out?

Can anyone help with a replacement part or point me in the direction of where to find one? the cars been off the road for 3 weeks now and i dont really want to replace the head because of this 5p part

Many thanks
Rich

Old 11 November 2009, 01:24 PM
Deepee74
Scooby Regular

Looks to me like a Casting Blank as its solid inside not a Core Plug, as you can see it does not go all the way into the water jacket. Easy way to tell is to fill the engine with water if water comes out the hole you have your answer.
Old 11 November 2009, 06:10 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich,
Have an engineering firm machine an alloy blanking plug up - needs to be an interference fit into the hole your are blanking off.

Mick

ps - Welcome to the Forum
Old 14 November 2009, 05:27 PM
16v205
Scooby Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the replys,

Mick I think your way sounds the way to go.

Does anyone know the dimensions of this core plug or alloy bung or whatever it is called? I can get a vernier to the hole but id like to get a second opinion as its quite fiddley down there and I dont want to screw up the sizing as i dont have access to a lathe.

The engine runs fine, water level is still spot on. Its oil that comes out this hole and not at a particulary fast rate so im assuming its a oil return or atmospheric chamber area the other side of this hole.

Just seems weird I cant buy this part, im more used to old peugeots where you can get everything from local motor factors as there built with much cheapness in mind

Cheers
Rich
Old 14 November 2009, 07:11 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Very unusual for the left hand head to leak from a blank casting on the back there - if you have a look at your friends engine again but on the right hand head (turbo side), im pretty sure the casting you have circled in red will be on/into the coolant gallery.

No idea on the size of the blanking plug tbh - all you can do is to measure carefully for a blanking plug to be machined up.

Mick
Old 15 November 2009, 07:35 PM
16v205
Scooby Newbie

Right ive got to apologise for wasting people’s time so far. I got my wifes camera down there today and snapped a pic, ive circled the wrong bloody hole in the pics above

The new pic clearly shows a hole beneath the head casting blanks with oil coming out. There is a continuous lip all around the inside of the hole about 10mm in. There’s markings on the outside machined surface where something has been pushed up on the face but any idea what should be here?

This hole isnt on the pics of the head in the first post? Is this something found on later edition engines?

Cheers
Rich
Old 15 November 2009, 08:52 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Ahhhh - its a bit clearer now Rich,
At sometime in the cars history, it's had a Twin Turbo engine fitted which has had the oil return pipe for the Left Hand turbo removed and blanked off (and the blanking plug has fallen out).
If you can remove the metal oil return pipe on your friends spare engine, you can accurately measure up for an interference fit blanking plug to be machined up.

Hope this helps,

Mick