Turbo Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2009, 06:20 PM
Nathan6301
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Pressure

Hi guys
Again i have no boost i have checked the actuator and that opens fine, now i have put my boost gauge on my turbo outlet nipple and i have no pressure its on 0 bar even when on tickover, now i think the troble is i have no pressure going from my turbo through the boost solinod and not opening the actuator now can someone explain to me how this works.

Cheers
Old 11 November 2009, 06:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nathan6301
Hi guys
Again i have no boost i have checked the actuator and that opens fine,
How did you check the actuator? With compressed air from an airline? Either way you seem to have the function of this bit the wrong way round. If the actuator wasn't opening, you would get instant overboost and eventual fuel cut, not no boost at all.

now i have put my boost gauge on my turbo outlet nipple and i have no pressure its on 0 bar even when on tickover,
What you're reporting there is perfectly normal. Your turbo won't generate positive boost until there's sufficient load on the engine (and hence exhaust gas volume/velocity) to spool it.

now i think the troble is i have no pressure going from my turbo through the boost solinod and not opening the actuator now can someone explain to me how this works.
Can you tell us more about your car - what model/year it is, and exactly what it is or isn't doing? Are you saying that it generally runs/idles okay, but you get no positive boost at all even when booting it? What does your boost gauge say when you floor it? Does it stay negative (vacuum) or does it cross the line into positive at all? Is the Check Engine light on?

Last edited by Splitpin; 11 November 2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12 November 2009, 10:35 AM
Nathan6301
Scooby Regular

my car is a 99uk turbo with a 1996 short motor and 99 heads, the problem is not having no boost at all, it runs fine idles great slite miss if u tap accelerator quickly.
i get no boost that i can see mabye i tiny bit, but i am getting alot of noise when the turbo is spooling up and i have no engine check light on,
Old 12 November 2009, 08:23 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Have you checked to see whether the Y-pipe has either blown off or split open?