breathing mods

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2009, 12:04 AM
hirsty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breathing mods

Hi,

i am after some advice with induction kits.

i am going to be fitting a full 3" system decatted inc manifold and a walbro 255 fuel pump then i will be having it mapped.

Should i buy an RCM induction kit and fit that before the car is mapped or hold out til march and get the induction kit when i get a FMIC?

I have been told the standard airbox is better until i fit the FMIC?

Thanks
Old 15 November 2009, 03:01 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You're fitting all this to what? I see from your posting history that you has an MY03 STi Type UK PPP, but if you want specific advice, for future reference you'd be far better off including the necessary information in your post than expecting us to guess.

On the face of it it's difficult to understand why you're even thinking of fitting an FMIC at all at this point, seeing as you haven't also mentioned a turbo swap.

The STi top mount is more than capable of dealing with anything a VF35 can chuck out, and so for that matter is the standard airbox and induction tract. So on that basis the FMIC would be a waste of money, and by extension, so would fitting the induction kit.

Also - you might want to double-check whether the MY03 PPP includes an upgrade fuel pump, because if it does, in shelling out on the Walbro, you would be buying something you already have.

What are you actually trying to achieve here?
Old 15 November 2009, 03:18 PM
hirsty
Scooby Regular

My apologies, i had a long day at work. yes it is an 03 plate sti with ppp.

I am looking to fit a FMIC in march along with bigger injectors and a new turbo, i was just wondering if the standard airbox will be sufficient for now or should i get the induction kit now?

Thanks
Old 15 November 2009, 03:46 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin

The STi top mount is more than capable of dealing with anything a VF35 can chuck out, and so for that matter is the standard airbox and induction tract.
Splitpin, might I respectfully disagree with the particular point about the stock induction tract. Although I am assuming his intake tract is similar to that on my STI8 PPP. I opened out the tract slightly and created a cavity in the top of the front grill and bonnet ridge to feed it. By itself this led to an extraordinary difference in the car's mid to high end power delivery. Instead of peaking at ~5500rpm, the car pulled really hard all the way to the redline. At the time this was the only mod I had done. Hadn't even remapped it at that time. I'd be inclined to advise that the stock induction does constrain the VF35.

Totally agree about the FMIC. I've ported everything I can and the STI TMIC appears to have no problems handling the flow or temps.
Old 15 November 2009, 03:47 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin

The STi top mount is more than capable of dealing with anything a VF35 can chuck out, and so for that matter is the standard airbox and induction tract.
Splitpin, might I respectfully disagree with the particular point about the stock induction tract. Although I am assuming his intake tract is similar to that on my STI8 PPP. I opened out the tract slightly and created a cavity in the top of the front grill and bonnet ridge to feed it. By itself this led to an extraordinary difference in the car's mid to high end power delivery. Instead of peaking at ~5500rpm, the car pulled really hard all the way to the redline. At the time this was the only mod I had done. Hadn't even remapped it. I'd be inclined to advise that the stock induction does constrain the VF35.

Totally agree about the FMIC. I've ported everything I can and the STI TMIC appears to have no problems handling the flow or temps.
Old 15 November 2009, 11:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Axel - I'm not sure whether you're actually disagreeing with me there!

My point to hirsty was that IMO there's no point replacing the regular newage induction tract with an induction kit.

If anything rather than disagree you appear to have proved my point, given that, unless I'm reading your post wrong, you haven't fitted an induction kit either - you've modified the standard one?

Probably some interesting things going on there with ram effects to cause the change in performance you noted. Would be interesting to see some photos of what you've done.

Hirsty - the STi TMIC would be good for well over 400bhp so a lot depends on your proposed turbo and intended power goal. If it isn't appreciably into or over the 450's there probably still isn't an outright need for an intercooler swap.
Old 16 November 2009, 12:54 AM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

LOL - Fair point! I think I'm guessing that if opening up the stock induction improves things then might an after market induction kit be better still?

I did take some pics; I'll upload them tomorrow so we can have a good laugh at the damage one can do with a dremel and a lump hammer