v3 WRX STI

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2009, 07:43 PM
BlackV3STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v3 WRX STI

Hi

i am new to the scoobty scene as i was heavily into honda vtecs but after i wrapped my dc5 round a post after flying on to a round about.

I wanted something new with a turbo and couldnt live with something other trhan japanese so i opted for a 98 impreza v3 sti , the car vis gorgeous and totally rust free and eveerything was perfect untill i started proper nailing her , ansd sooner or later i realised id fried a piston, , the car lost power and it was a sucker so me and a friend decided to fix her. So we have ripped it apart and i replaced all four pistons with a set out of a P1 , these were forged and looked different from mine and seem to be signifantly lighter but felt sturdier , iand i bought a set pistons rings, i also went ahead and replaced the injectors with 550's, and replaced the conrods with a set out of the new age sti's which feel alot stronger . i changed the bottom end bearings, i replaced every gasket, to thick steel ones and i bought a new turbo inlet pipe which was significantly better than the ****ty scooby onE , I ALSO REPLACED THE TURBO FOR VF24 IHI AS I JUST PREFER THEM TBH! , enjine was put back together , timing was perfect , again i replacewd manifold gaskets and the like , dropped the engine in and connected her up and she started on the first attempt and sounded perfect , but after the car warmed up a little bit it started misfiring and cut out , it also smells like its over fueling ther car as it flooded it on a couple of occasions , i believe that this is caused by the maf sensor as i know that it got filled up with water by accident in my carriage ( roof leak) and when the engine is running and if i disconnect the maf it still runs for awhile and then cuts out the same , am i to presume the maf has gone kaput as i am going to go pick one up from a SCOOBYNET MEMBER tomorow . would you guys say my presumption is correct. it is a orange labeled maf which i beleiev is off the v3 v4 sti's, also what power can these handle and what power can the vf24 handle , i am looking for about 340 bhp , my car was dynoed at 293 bhp just before i touched the engine , bear in mind it has panel filter , a straight through exhaust and is ran on decent fuelk and maintenace adhered too maticulously. Would you say my goal is a chievable wit not much mre than a re-map or am i in cooko land.

Also is it possible to install dccd switched for the diff in these cars and how is that possible , is it a full ngear box.

I am also unsure as to what to do with the suspension as it feels sturdier but i am used to dragging cars along the floor with my hondas. would you say its worthwhile dropping the cart with spring , or shockers and springs or a proper suspension set up. i am looking at taking thje car to a couple of tracks and entering it into official races as some point but ive beenb warned that ill be rebuilding the engine every couple of months!!!! i think thats boloks so im sure you guys can help

Cheers
Old 04 December 2009, 10:05 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post your location and someone local may have an Orange label MAF you could just try on yours quickly.

I wouldn't know for sure, but would changing the injectors cause it to not fuel right?
Old 04 December 2009, 11:27 PM
BlackV3STI
Scooby Regular

i am from manchester denton. and if there is any1local it would be a big help. i thought it might hav been injectors even tho they are minters but to be honest i do think its the maf. the engine is perfect but the maf is not .
Old 05 December 2009, 04:52 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

putting bigger injectors in and not compensating for them could be part of your problem car should still run though,just lumpy.
i'd try a maf first like you said if maf cures the cutting out it may still idle lumpy as said above.

Tim
Old 05 December 2009, 05:02 PM
millzy555
Scooby Regular

i had a vf30 on my v3 which made 340. its for sale for 350 plus postage. vf24 will strugle with any more than what u have. would also be worth investing in a mappable ecu for uk fuel
Old 05 December 2009, 05:24 PM
BlackV3STI
Scooby Regular

ive bought the maf , just nt had a chance to stick it on but hopefuly i wi do tonight and update!!!!!

iv been told that v3 v4 sti's cant be remapped on standard ecu is this correct
Also what is the lag like on the vf30 , as its one of things i like on the 24 that it spools fast! also what maximum power am i talking bout with the vf24?? what can i push it too!!!
Old 05 December 2009, 05:27 PM
BlackV3STI
Scooby Regular

and when you say im not compensating the injectors, what dya mean? as its abit vaige , remember i might know a bit about cars but i am by no means a mechanic , im an accountant :-( so lamans terms is whats needed!
Old 05 December 2009, 05:29 PM
BlackV3STI
Scooby Regular

and how do i ell by he chasis code whether my car is a proper sti , ive been assured it is but i just wana check

Thankss
Old 05 December 2009, 05:36 PM
rifleman
Scooby Regular

after putting bigger injectors in you should also up-rate the fuel pump(just fitted walbro kit in mine today) and it will need setting up properly.
Old 05 December 2009, 08:55 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

basically bigger injectors flow more fuel at the same duty as the originals so the duty needs to be less on the bigger injectors no way you can do this without getting mapped/aftermarket ecu.
if you had a power fc you could of tweaked the settings to suit so it was a bit better.
you might have been better waiting till you had spoken to your mapper then fitted them closer to the date of your remap
Old 05 December 2009, 09:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by BlackV3STI
i am from manchester denton. and if there is any1local it would be a big help. i thought it might hav been injectors even tho they are minters but to be honest i do think its the maf. the engine is perfect but the maf is not .
I use to live there on ruby street then decided to move out to the middle of nowhere
Anyway if you see me (as I do drive around there occasionally ) I drive a cool grey v5 STI type R, you cant really miss the number plate

Now back to the start, is your car a version 3 or a version 4? you said its a 1998 car which would make it a version 4 but they have the updated interior, the version 3's are a MY97 car (saves the confusion if you give the right Model Year as well so MY94 is the original, MY96 V2, MY97 V3 MY98 V4 MY99 V5 MY00 V6)

The pistons are all similar, ie STI forged ones, so as you put phase 2 engine pistons in to your car they will be the same as the version 5/6 cars, but your injectors are a problem and you have no after market ecu as your engine will need mapping or else you will be running very rich (thats like 440cc to 550 cc is 25ish% more fuel, not a good idea if not mapped).
I would also suggest you purchasing something like a KS3 or knocklink (I prefer the KS3 over the knocklink tbh) to see if your car is detting its little heart out again as you may not have fixed the problem but made it worse.

You need to go to a speciallist and get her sorted properly otherwise another engine rebuild could be on its way

Tony
Old 06 December 2009, 01:25 PM
BlackV3STI
Scooby Regular

I have the updated interior so yeah its a v4 , my mistake , what are the engine differences between the two versions? as my maf is the orange one?
yeah i live not too far from ruby street , in denton , near egerton park!!!!

im sure i have aready seen your tbh with you mate , whats the reg exactly , im sure we gave you a buzz in my mates bug eye sti ( registration plate says wrx)
If the injectors are going to cause problems on the stand ecu , can i buy a remappable ecu and where would you recommend , also how good are the pibby back ecu's?
it is a learning curve for me so please bare with me
Cheers
Old 06 December 2009, 01:34 PM
millzy555
Scooby Regular

spool up on th 30 is very quick but does drop off at the top. Ecu wise get yourself either esl piggyback or anything like apexi, simtek, motec, solaris. You will def need a fuel pump ( 255 walbro ).
Old 06 December 2009, 06:53 PM
BlackV3STI
Scooby Regular

right well maf sensor is on and its a lot better but it makes a racket and a half and it is popping quite abitbut aftyer a minute it automatically cuts out , and the restarts again straight away at turn of key BUT , if i ripp off the t5he airbox and put my hand over the maf sensor side(with the mesh on it) it actually runs right and when you rev it it runs cleaninly through the revs , so im guessing the maf is correct and working but i still haver a problem, would a air filter cure this as its running throught the standard box with a filter inside it , the only other thing that i changed that is in relation to the airbox is the exhaust inet that runs undfer the manifold and then the airbox connects to to a slightly bigger one ( in blue unforrtunately) from roger clrake motorsport

please can some1 enlighten me if you have had the same problem

Thanks
Old 06 December 2009, 10:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by BlackV3STI
im sure i have aready seen your tbh with you mate , whats the reg exactly , im sure we gave you a buzz in my mates bug eye sti ( registration plate says wrx)
If the injectors are going to cause problems on the stand ecu , can i buy a remappable ecu and where would you recommend , also how good are the pibby back ecu's?
it is a learning curve for me so please bare with me
Cheers

That would be mine you have seen then
Now ecu's, your open to a few options here, you cant get piggy back chips for your model though (92-96 you can get piggyback chips, 97/98 are not mappable and 99/00 are mappable ecu's, none are interchangeable out of those years).
Now it depends on what you are willing to pay for an ecu, Apexi (2nd hand) will be a bit of a bargain, even Link ecu's, simtek will cost you over 1k mapped/supplied, solaris is well out of your price bracket, motec is a possability for a 2nd hand unit so your options are quite open there, best bet is having a look in the for sale section or joining one of the local clubs like Lancashire and District Subaru Owners Club or smacs.

Tony