Notices

new car :) piston slap :(

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2010, 07:44 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new car :) piston slap :(

recently broke my old project car as too many family problems i didnt have time anymore but in the mean time needed a motor for my work , so....
i bought a version 3 sti , i know a lot about the cars history and where and what it has had and where its been to for the work .

car was imported in 2008 , im the 2nd owner
engine replacement about 4 months ago
its rapid !!!!! lol
it idles ok
runs brilliant

now for the problem , over the past few days i have had it i always listened to it in the cold , the engine was fine but i know when it was changed it was changed for a v4 engine and the v3 heads were exchanged back over to the v4 block i only noticed this morning a knocking noise which died away when it warmed up , i must admit it was quite loud , i have never experienced piston slap before as most sub's i have had were v1 and v2's and i have heard of this being common for 97 and 98 models which with my car being the 96-97 v3 with a v4 engine would make it succeptible to slap whats the best course of action to take with this , i am in the next couple of weeks planning to change the oil to millers 10w40 but other than that i would like to know wether to do sumthin about the slap or leave it bearing in mind i do not rev the car or move it until it has totally warmed up ??? cheers
for a minute this morning i thought it was knock lol just about started crying lol
Old 11 January 2010, 08:24 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 10w-40 may solve the problem
Old 11 January 2010, 08:30 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

why would oil get rid of piston slap though . due to it being caused by differences in expansion between the piston and bores or so ive heard ??? regardless anyway the oil needs changed for piece of mind ?
Old 11 January 2010, 08:32 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because the 10w part of it is a bit thicker than standard, so it will cushion the pistons a little as they warm up
Old 11 January 2010, 08:36 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

It's quite an old car, do you really know the history of the bottom end?

A bit of piston slap really isn't that big a deal, provided that's all it is. My P1 had an engine rebuild earlier in the year and had forged pistons put in; they slap a little bit at start-up, but after 5 mins or so the noise has completely gone. It's normal, I was warned about it in advance, and IIRC they're good for 400bhp or so, should I feel the need to start fiddling.

Someone may have simply done you a favour!
Old 11 January 2010, 08:44 PM
ScatRat
Scooby Regular

Neighbours , forrester, got same, hes put some diesel oil in it, and seems to have quietened it down a bit also,
Old 11 January 2010, 08:53 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

for the record what does iirc mean lol its seriously fast , thinking of getting it dyno'd as i have been in a lot of imprezas and this thing seems the dog's bollocks , i know the v3 heads have more aggressive cams for sure but this is a bit more than that , turning the boost right down to 0.5 feels faster than my v1 sti running 290hp , very weird , at the mo i have the boost turned down and dont want to turn it back up until i know whats what , has a presto exhaust 3" straight through , pops like a kunt on decelaration lol has a cusco lsd , short shifter , 4 pots ( standard ) with braided lines , some sort of support bracket in an anodised blue connected to the brake master cylinder and then bolts onto the wing , a HUGE hks dump valve NOT A SSQV ONE THOUGH ! , front and rear struts , aftermarket front and rear arb , not sure yet as to what ecu is in it , the engine when it came was absolutely spotless , we couldnt believe how clean it was its also very smooth and quiet when warmed up , just this slapping prob which i guess is normal for a lot of people , the only prob with the car is the bonnet has a dent at the front which i suppose isnt the end of the world lol , u can smell the shell v-power a mile away lol with other scoobs ive had that smell hasnt been even half as bad lol,
all in all 2250 is a good deal in my opinion , was going to chance turning the boost back up to 1 bar as i cant see anything going too wrong although i think a dyno is a must to know whats going on , it just seems very rapid even at 0.5 bar the wheels start to lose traction , and no before sum 1 smart asks lol the tyres arent bald lol this is quite weird having this much power from 0.5 bar ??
Old 11 January 2010, 08:57 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

obviously i want to know wether to leave the slap as is taking care on startup obviously or get my mech to sort it ?? as i have read mixed opinions saying leave it and others say take it 2 subaru or some other mech to have it rectified ?
Old 11 January 2010, 08:59 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Iirc - If I recall correctly
Old 11 January 2010, 09:02 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

yeh just read up on google cheers m8
Old 11 January 2010, 09:04 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

think this 1's a keeper maybe later in the year once the family issues have died down i may start mods to it but in the meantime i think its more of a case of finding out what it has and what it doesnt have ?