Notices

2005 UK Impreza sti wont start, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2010, 08:00 PM
Don Paulos
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 UK Impreza sti wont start, help please.

Hi,

Some advice needed please.

Driving to work yesterday i noticed when i pulled into the car park some steam/smoke from the drivers side of the bonnet. Temp was still normal so I stopped the car and popped the bonnet but couldn't see anything obvious. Let it cool down and checked the water in the rad but no loss.

After work i Started the engine and l all seemed fine so gently drove it the 3 miles to my house, thought i noticed steam again as i got to my house but again everything looked fine, no temp increase and no water loss.

Was planning on driving it to my local garage so they could check it out and the car now wont start. at stage 1 the dash lights up as normal and i can hear what i assume is the fuel pump but when i try to start it i get silence then a click. I've tried it a few times and get exactly the same thing. l also set off a 2 second burst from the alarm when i try to lock the doors.

So I'm now thinking something electrical/ignition related and instead of steam it was something smoking... but i'm not sure where to look next or what's I should check?

Any help much appreciated.
Old 21 January 2010, 12:57 PM
n8i
Scooby Regular

hi there,

don't know whether the 2.5 litre engine is in your car... could be the head gaskets
maybe it's the anti-theft-device, but I can't figure out why.
Better take the car to your local garage, hope they'll do their job better than any Subaru garage in Germany does
Hm, unplugged the battery and tried again after half an hour?

cheers
Nico
Old 21 January 2010, 01:47 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like something has shorted and flattened the battery.

JohnD
Old 22 January 2010, 12:20 PM
Don Paulos
Scooby Newbie

i managed to jump start it this morning with no problems and let it run for 20 mins, no smoke or any other probs/warning lights so not sure what may have shorted. gonna leave it for a few hours and see if it'll start again then let the garage take a look as i'm assuming it won't just be a failing battery.