Notices

fuel smell on 98 classic

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2010, 02:33 PM
Jamie Bird
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel smell on 98 classic

I've got a smell of fuel in my 98 turbo 2000. I've been searching the boards and all the threads seem to point to the Subaru recognised problem of the dodgy rubber hoses under the manifold. However all of the threads i've read seem to relate to the blob-eye.
Is it likely to be something else seeing as its a classic or has anyone got any pointers ?
Thanks Jay
Old 23 January 2010, 07:15 PM
956curtis
Scooby Regular

i had this problem on my 2000 turbo.turned out it had a uprated fuel pump in it.it was really bad u could be doing 60 with the window down and it was like u had a pipe firing petrol in to the car.fixed it by putting a new uprated fuel pump in and a few more mods.
Old 23 January 2010, 07:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found it can be a slight leak from the passengers side (near side) bulkhead where the fuel pipe comes into the car, check around there when the car is running (ensuring no one can take your car though! )

Tony
Old 23 January 2010, 08:48 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Check the filler neck in the OSR wheel arch - They're prone to rotting through. I've replaced a few now (mainly on UK cars that have been exposed to salty roads)

Check all lines and connections in the engine bay
Check Fuel rails, injectors and connections on the inlet manifold.
Check the carbon cannister has all it's hoses and valve(s) connected correctly, and the hose at the base of the cannister is venting into the inner wing.
Check the fuel hoses running through the car - down the passenger side on the inside of the sill - remove the door kick trims and lift the carpet up.
Check the seal around the fuel pump assembly in the tank - Driver's side at the front of the boot - remove the tin plate held in by 4 phillips self tapping screws and you can see the top of the pump assy.

Follow your nose - may help in pinpointing the source of the smell

Hope that helps
Old 24 January 2010, 12:42 PM
Jamie Bird
Scooby Regular

O.k thanks for the pointers people
Old 01 March 2010, 10:41 PM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
Check the filler neck in the OSR wheel arch - They're prone to rotting through. I've replaced a few now (mainly on UK cars that have been exposed to salty roads)

Check all lines and connections in the engine bay
Check Fuel rails, injectors and connections on the inlet manifold.
Check the carbon cannister has all it's hoses and valve(s) connected correctly, and the hose at the base of the cannister is venting into the inner wing.
Check the fuel hoses running through the car - down the passenger side on the inside of the sill - remove the door kick trims and lift the carpet up.
Check the seal around the fuel pump assembly in the tank - Driver's side at the front of the boot - remove the tin plate held in by 4 phillips self tapping screws and you can see the top of the pump assy.

Follow your nose - may help in pinpointing the source of the smell

Hope that helps
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I appear to have a fuel leak and it looks like the fuel is leaking from my rear p/s area, am I right in saying it shouldn't be the fuel tank filler neck if it's coming from the rear p/s? Any ideas? Thanks