Notices

Hi Guys

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2010, 03:57 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Guys

Hi Everybody my name is chris, im new to scoobynet and subarus in general and have just bought a 93 (kreg) jap import in beautifull condition from suffolk.

I will get some pics up this week.

The car drives fine about 70-75% of the time however the remainder of the time it is not boosting properly, it just dosnt pull fully in all gears. theres no real kick it strugles to get past 100 mph, but as soon as it feels like boosting it will boost all the way to 130 no probs. Im takin her to scooby clinic on sat but just wanted to see if anybody had any ideas what it could be. Further symptoms to help u diagnose, seems to happen most times when i pull over and stop for a couple of mins when i set back of it wont boos fully but then ten mins later will be ok, sometimes it wont boost fully for ages like 40 mins, when it is not boosting properly it seems like its juddering slightly like it gives up then trys then gives up so you dont get a full boost. The man who sold it me tells me it needs a ecu reset but scooby clinic say thats rubish, I Really hope i dont need a new turbo any ideas would be appriciated. I read in the cars history that it wont connect to subarus gear or universal but scooby clinic say they can find out from rolling road. Any ideas???
Old 02 February 2010, 05:58 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

anybody???????
Old 02 February 2010, 06:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its hard to say, what fuel do you run her on to start with? could be some of the pipe work is split slightly, the clinic should sort you out though

Tony
Old 02 February 2010, 08:24 PM
cushti
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris & welcome,

If you're regularly going to run around at those speeds (130mph - on private land of course) for a prolonged period I would ensure everything's running spot on (& I'd want an uprated oil pump to save those bearings as well ).

Ecu reset will not solve the boost problem. The boost issue could be absolutely anything though from the info supplied - I had very similar issue from an intermittant ecu fault. Could be dirty maf, the original old fuel pump starting to pack in, a split vac pipe or probably the boost solenoid & associated hoses need a good clean out. As Tony says above, what fuel as should be running on V-Power or similar, not just unleaded (I'd never use BP Ultimate from personal experience).

Give us a bit more info such as any mods on it & what you have checked already.
Old 03 February 2010, 09:28 AM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies, i VERY rarely drive at those speeds that was the first time, i was checking because it hadnt been working properly. I have only used vpower since i bought it and know the previouse owner did the same, he told me about it. in my history for the vehicle someone has written car must be ran on high octane fuel as it is used to the fuel in japan. the only thing i have been able to check as im not a mechanic or know much about scoobs YET is i did a ecu diagnostic this mornig when i set of to to work and it has given me fault code 32 which is oxegen sensor. i did say to my friend when it started it felt like an air problem, with regards to mods it has a sti rad, dump valve, you will prob see more yourself by looking under my bonnet click this

Subaru : Subaru Impreza WRX Import, 1993 and owned for last 7 Yrs.

Thanks again im really hoping its this oxegeon sensor, would a faulty oxegen sensor create theae types of problems in your opinion??
Old 03 February 2010, 09:34 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Can cause over/under fueling, as it's not reading the quality of the oxygen in the exhaust gasses correctly. I would get the ecu mapped to run on uk fuel also, as japanese fuel is 100 ron and the best we can get over here (without octane additive) is 99ron from the likes of shell and tesco.
Old 03 February 2010, 10:00 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rookymatt
Can cause over/under fueling, as it's not reading the quality of the oxygen in the exhaust gasses correctly. I would get the ecu mapped to run on uk fuel also, as japanese fuel is 100 ron and the best we can get over here (without octane additive) is 99ron from the likes of shell and tesco.
bp do 102 ron and we also have E85
Old 03 February 2010, 10:20 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Lucky bugger! But he said he's running it on v power, and thats only 99. So i think it would be advisable as you can't always plan each journey you take on the availability of 100+ ron fuel stations.