Notices

Octane Booster Myth.

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2010, 12:49 PM
waffoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octane Booster Myth.

My local petrol staition has a problem with its super unleaded pumps and I haven't been able to fill up for a while. I live in the SW so super unleaded is rare, 20 miles to the next lot. The petrol light was on so I decided to put Octane Booster in and fill up with normal petrol. Great job done! When I got in I decided to see what the BHP increase would be and found this on You Tube.......... 5th Gear - Octane Boosters put to the test Anyway am wondering now am I just running on normal petrol. I would like to see a similar test between normal and super petrol. While Im at it, how far will a scooby go with the fuel light on?

Last edited by waffoo; 04 February 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04 February 2010, 12:57 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Find out your tank size, how much fuel did you put in to fill it?

On my MY02 the most I ever squeezed in was 51l, in a 60l tank that leaves 9l+ after the light came on. Call it 2 gallons at 25mpg = 50 miles.

However when the fuel gets low you can suffer effects like fuel surge when cornering, so best not to let it get too low. Personally i would say 20 miles is easy with the light on, but you have to be sure you spotted it when it came on .
Old 04 February 2010, 01:18 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

21 mpg * 10 litres / 4.546 = 46 miles

HTH

dunx

P.S. Octane booster MAY not give a higher horsepower figure, BUT a higher octane rating allows the ecu to run more ignition advance.

Mine loves the stuff, pulls much stronger in the 2000-3500 rpm range.
Old 04 February 2010, 05:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You run a JDM WRX RA and you want to run it on unleaded
Have you anything to check the engine is detting? I suggest you purchase either a knocklink or even better a KS3 and see whats happening inside your engine (and it wont be good) before it does one of the following:-

1. Holes a piston
2. Piston through block
3. Big end failure
4. All of the above

Either way it will cost you a fortune for an engine rebuild (hoping its not holed due to piston ejection), but as your car is mapped for 97ron and it really doesnt have a good knock reduction factor (ie virtually zero) and its not my car (which has lots of things to show me whats going on in the engine bay ) im not too fussed

Tony

PS, the octane booster myth wasnt tried on cars that run (note mapped for) 100 ron fuel but rather mapped for 95 ron.
Old 05 February 2010, 01:06 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

It's not about cheap halfords octane booster and BHP.

If you import is designed to run higher octane fuel, you need to run it or map for lower quality fuel.

Without monitoring det you won't know what's happening.

AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Knock Analysers :: KS3 Knock Analyser

Mine doesn't even like going from Optimax/Tesco 99 to BP Ulitmate. Switching to the poorer BP Ultimate and engine will start detting (displayed by the KS3 Knock Analyser).