Strange movement in power steering

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2010, 05:29 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange movement in power steering

Hi all,

My Ford (not a scooby but my cheap run around) fezda TDCI has a strange problem with power steering, when up on jacks you can wobble the wheels slightly at 3 and 9 o'clock, approx 10 mm. Run the engine and it's almost impossible to feel movement and again once engine is stopped (you can feel resistance instantly from the power steering fluid in system). Wait 5-10 mins and test again, movement with small klonk is found, it's almost like air is getting in somewhere. No leaks from power steering as level in bottle stays the same. She passed mot with comment regarding this, just wonder if anyone else had something similar?

I've checked the steering rack bushes and none looks like it's moving as the wheel is moved it's 10 mm. Odd

My other half has petrol version a couple of years newer and no movement in hers at all, even when left over night.
Old 07 February 2010, 05:29 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Oh, just add, went on ford forum and had no response.
Old 07 February 2010, 05:38 PM
skinner
Scooby Regular

A strange one you may have just a bit of play in your rack or in your track rods (dont confuse with track rod ends).sure its not your steering lock coming on.
Old 07 February 2010, 06:22 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Never heard of an issue on the fiesta like this before, iv been a ford techie for about 12 years, if it only happens with the engine off it's most likely a knackered rack I'd say, if you want I'll have a word with my master tech in the morning he's likely to know as he liases with ford technical weekly, he'll know if there's anything to go for!!
Old 08 February 2010, 08:50 AM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Most likely one one the internal pressure relief valves in the rack, remedy by replacing the rack. To be honest I'd wait till next mot see if it passes, or if it gets worse, at the end of the day how many times do you operate your steering with the engine off.
Hope this has shed some light on it!
Rich
Old 08 February 2010, 06:12 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Wink

Magic response there Rich...def a strange one. I can't see the rack bushes moving at all and the track rod ends move with the wheel (not worn at all, all rubbers good).

I'll keep an eye on the play side as she needs a service in May, if worse then I'll have to visit a garage and get the rack reviewed/replaced. Hopefully might pass more MOT's for now as I'll be skint in Dec this year (due to other half and new baby! )
Old 08 February 2010, 08:51 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Strange one this as both my Scoobs have the symptoms you describe, but my Festa runaround doesn't

Old 10 February 2010, 09:53 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
Strange one this as both my Scoobs have the symptoms you describe, but my Festa runaround doesn't

Hmm, not tested my scoob in a while for this type of thing but think I will. If you find a fix, let me know (even if it is scooby) as most likely will be rack problem as previous update.
Old 10 February 2010, 10:00 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Both myself and the MOT examiner are sure it is fluid being pulled through. Obviously with the engine running it won't happen. Not bothered as ok with pump pressure but strange nonetheless.

Old 10 February 2010, 10:13 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

But where does it get pulled through to? I get no change in fluid level in the power steering bottle. I was originally thinking air got in somehow and it trapped but fluid leak sounds more like it yeh...very confused.

Still, border line on my motor passing last mot cos of it, its not much movement and none when running...crazy.