blob sti oil change

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2010, 10:11 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up blob sti oil change

hi there

can anyone tell me if its the same to do an oil change on the blob sti as it is on the 2000 turbo 99 as im wanting to do it my self if i can .

thanks
Old 14 March 2010, 10:14 PM
Trevcoss
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Simtek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say if you managed ok on your MY99 you should be fine on your blob
Old 14 March 2010, 10:19 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trevcoss
I would say if you managed ok on your MY99 you should be fine on your blob
thanks trevcoss i assume you disconnect the crank sensor the same as the turbo .
Old 14 March 2010, 10:35 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Not wanting to start the usually oil change debate, but I have NEVER disconnected to crank or cam sensor. In January my car got mapped at 416bhp at 97K miles so cannot have done any damaged by doing a normal oil change. I accept pre-filling the filter as we do it on diesel engines where the oil filters can hold over a litre of oil, but why is the Subaru engine so different in that you disconnect a sensor. Have never done the likes in 26 years of car ownership and who knows how many works engines I have serviced.
Old 14 March 2010, 10:46 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
Not wanting to start the usually oil change debate, but I have NEVER disconnected to crank or cam sensor. In January my car got mapped at 416bhp at 97K miles so cannot have done any damaged by doing a normal oil change. I accept pre-filling the filter as we do it on diesel engines where the oil filters can hold over a litre of oil, but why is the Subaru engine so different in that you disconnect a sensor. Have never done the likes in 26 years of car ownership and who knows how many works engines I have serviced.
To be fair this is my second turbo and only started doing it as that is what people on here say to do but i never did it on my first turbo and never had a problem either in three years with that one but when you hear the storys what people say have happened well i just do it now to be safe it only takes seconds .
Old 14 March 2010, 11:06 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

exactly the same. the undertray may have different fixings to remove thats the only difference
Old 14 March 2010, 11:44 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Was this not more prevelant on the PPP cars due to the generic mapping? It seems strange to me that a flat four engine, where the vertical height in less, is more suseptable that a straight four or a V formation engine where the vertical height is greater.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:10 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
but why is the Subaru engine so different in that you disconnect a sensor.
Does this:

look like this:

...this:

Or like this:

?

That bottom one's a BMW aero engine but it demonstrates my point. All engines are not the same, just as all cars are not the same. Different engine designs have different strengths and weaknesses.

Different engines are different sizes and shapes, oilways are different sizes and shapes, oil pumps are different sizes, flow rates and capacities. Journal bearings are different sizes, ECUs are different and allow different periods of time between engagement of the starter and initiation of spark and fuel. etc. etc. etc.

It seems strange to me that a flat four engine, where the vertical height in less, is more suseptable that a straight four or a V formation engine where the vertical height is greater.
You mean the ultra compact flat four engine that has tightly interleaved pistons, placing a constraint on the width of the bearing shells that doesn't apply to an inline engine of the same cubic capacity, overall weight and power output?

Question: Given your general argument - that appears to be more or less that one engine is more or less the same as another, why is it that only Toyota make cars whose accelerator pedals stick to the floor?