Notices

info on engine numbers needed

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2010, 03:07 PM
budd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on engine numbers needed

Hi all, some of you may know I’m currently building a car for the Nippon Challenge/Subaru Cup, well the car is a bit of a dog but I suppose that’s OK for what I have planned for it!!!,
anyway the seller couldn’t find any paperwork for the car when I bought it no V5 , S/H , MOTs nothing ( so I was taking a big risk buying it in the first place and wouldn’t recommend anybody buys a car with no documents) but it was cheap so I went ahead and bought it despite my reservations, the first thing I did was apply for a new V5 and then waited, would the car come back stolen? or a write off needing a VIC check? Would I be getting a call form the DVLA or even the Police!!!
All manner of dodgy scenarios have been going through my head in the wait for the new V5, well it arrived today, the DVLA have done a decent job (for a change) in getting the new V5 sorted out in less than a month (the last one I applied for took over 3 months).
And it’s all good news, none of my fears have been realised and everything is in order, the only problem (there had to be one) is that the engine no doesn’t match the V5, how do I find information on the fitted engine? Eg what year is it? Is it a UK or Jap spec engine ?
It could be an STi engine but how do I tell?

The engine no on the V5 is 449227 the actual one on the engine is 854778 ( this is stamped on the casing next to the starter), anyone know how to trace info on the engine from just it’s number?

Last edited by budd; 15 March 2010 at 03:08 PM.