Notices

launch control??

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2010, 10:01 AM
imprezabob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default launch control??

Hi all.. i am thinking of upgrading the ecu in my 96 (v2) STI.

I would like to be able to use launch control and am wondering which of the following will enable me to do this.. Apexi PFC, Simtek, Hydra???

Ideally i want to get the Apexi PFC..
Old 26 April 2010, 10:07 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

don't think you will find the apexi offers launch control.

simtek does if it is enabled as an extra and the hydra does as well.
Old 26 April 2010, 10:24 AM
-Clarkey
Scooby Regular

GEMS is another one which will have it on
Old 26 April 2010, 10:32 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TBH chap i have LC on my Simtek and its pretty useless. Unless you have the ability to change the rev limit on it youll always launch better with your foot.

Verying temps, road surface, what tyres u have one, if its wet, dry, damp, fresh rain, sludgy etc etc all change too much for LC to be anyhting more than a gimmik.

just my 2p tho..
Old 26 April 2010, 12:48 PM
imprezabob
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys... scoobyc thanks for the opinion, given what you have said i tend to agree, only ever wanted it for occasional use at the lights..

Can i have some opinions on apexi vs simtek.. i dont really do any track day use, i have recently had an ESL chip installed but am now thinking that as have moved to a city centre that the abolity to have more than 1 map would be handy.. i know there is no full knock control on the apexi but i plan to have it mapped properly.. do you think the simtek is worth the extra £100-£150 thank the apexi second hand?
Old 26 April 2010, 01:07 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyc
TBH chap i have LC on my Simtek and its pretty useless. Unless you have the ability to change the rev limit on it youll always launch better with your foot.

Verying temps, road surface, what tyres u have one, if its wet, dry, damp, fresh rain, sludgy etc etc all change too much for LC to be anyhting more than a gimmik.

just my 2p tho..
I've got LC on my simtek also but certainly wouldn't class it as useless.

Yes in some conditions launching with a bar of boost can be too much for the available grip but then all you have to do is pull away normally.

LC is all about getting the most power as quickly as possible and that is what it does, don't confuse it with traction control.
Old 26 April 2010, 01:08 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezabob
Cheers guys... scoobyc thanks for the opinion, given what you have said i tend to agree, only ever wanted it for occasional use at the lights..

Can i have some opinions on apexi vs simtek.. i dont really do any track day use, i have recently had an ESL chip installed but am now thinking that as have moved to a city centre that the abolity to have more than 1 map would be handy.. i know there is no full knock control on the apexi but i plan to have it mapped properly.. do you think the simtek is worth the extra £100-£150 thank the apexi second hand?
There isnt full knock control on the Simtek either AFAIK, its supposed to be getting done but when **** knows I've been waiting months for the update, I thought the Simtek was a fair bit more than £150 dearer than the Apexi though?