Notices

Turbo Timer(Yes or NO)

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2010, 12:02 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Timer(Yes or NO)

Hi guys my brother just yesterday brought Subaru Impreza JDM 2001 JPN import(bugeye),but my brother have quick question,buy turbo timer or no.For any help thanks.
Old 27 April 2010, 01:40 AM
shamone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine with one fitted, but i don't really use it that often. If you've been out driving hard then obviously it is ideal for letting it cool down properly; but as long as you spend the last ten minutes taking it easy and off the boost, then that should be enough to let the turbo cool..... it certainly does no harm letting it tick over on the timer for a while as well / instead though!

To be honest, i use it more in the mornings to let it get UP to temperature when it's cold (am i alone in doing this??)

Another thing - my alarm doesn't fully set if the timer is on either, just locks the doors, so if i'm leaving it somewhere then i'd have to hang around anyway to set it properly, and where better than in the drivers seat with the keys in and tunes on!!??

They're not expensive. Not likely to cause any damage / problems. Cool if you're into gadgetry i suppose........

Guess the short(er) answer is: not essential, but can be a cheap, handy addition if you've got nothing better to spend your pennies on!!
Old 27 April 2010, 07:13 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Turbo timer, No waste of money unless you like pointless bling
Old 27 April 2010, 07:55 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Anything that helps to preserve the life of the turbo/engine cannot be a bad idea!

I have one but like others, only really use it after long trips/hard driving
Old 27 April 2010, 08:09 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Camoscooby
Anything that helps to preserve the life of the turbo/engine cannot be a bad idea!
Unless your ragging the car right to your door which people shouldent be doing anyway unless they live on a bloody farm then its a waste of space
Old 27 April 2010, 08:24 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

pointless tat

HTH
Old 27 April 2010, 08:42 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

its not really pointless tat if you havent got the time to wait around. they do work, i dont want to starve my turbo of oil or not let it cool down properly. (and no im not a chav who drives around 100mph everywhere)
Old 27 April 2010, 09:23 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

you don't have to let the engine run for a couple of minutes,just switch it straight off.This is another subaru myth that people have stuck in their heads.If you drive the last mile home sensibly ie without ragging the car there is no reason at all why you cant just switch the engine off.Do people really drive to their front door on boost The impreza shouldnt be treated any different to any other turbo charged car and no other makes have their drivers sitting there pointlessly waiting 2 minutes
Old 27 April 2010, 04:59 PM
bobby chang
Scooby Regular

turbo timer as its name suggested, is to let the trubo cool down before shut down, nothing wrong with it, but the point is , do we need the device to do the work for us or we do it ourself ? that's the question we have to ask ourself. Just like if you want a driver's car, then Subaru is good, if you want a car drives you, then a luxury car is for you.

Last edited by bobby chang; 27 April 2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 27 April 2010, 05:53 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
you don't have to let the engine run for a couple of minutes,just switch it straight off.This is another subaru myth that people have stuck in their heads.If you drive the last mile home sensibly ie without ragging the car there is no reason at all why you cant just switch the engine off.Do people really drive to their front door on boost The impreza shouldnt be treated any different to any other turbo charged car and no other makes have their drivers sitting there pointlessly waiting 2 minutes
exactamundo.
Old 27 April 2010, 05:59 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Camoscooby
Turbo timers don't preserve the life of the turbo or engine. They're pointless tat, as has been said.

If anything leaving the engine idling for a couple of needless minutes every switch-off increases wear and underbonnet temps, rather than the reverse.
Old 27 April 2010, 06:56 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

a 2min drive home off boost is beeter as you get the right airflow over the engine and through the rad for cooling,

all show no go...........having said that i have mine built into my alarm so i have a choice if it gets used and more often than non it does not