The piston slap club

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2010, 11:37 AM
fireengine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The piston slap club

98 2000 uk Turbo
I think I'm the latest recruit to the piston slap club. 110k on the clock but not present at 108k when i bought it. Just to clarify the symptons I have:

On cold idle it sounds ok and not obvious at all but Blip the throttle to get a few revs and the clatter comes in. If I rev higher than that its harder to pick out the slap from general exhaust and engine noise but once moving i can still hear its faint diesel like trace.

The slap is virtually gone once full warm up is achieved ( on mine that temp guage half way up) this can take about 10 mins of driving so that once im in trafiic jam its only very faintly audible on the blip of throttle and if i didnt know better id never have noticed it.

Small puff of blue smoke on start up but nothing after that. Its not burning oil such that ive noticed on the dip stick.

Engine Power seems fine.

Im about to go back to a standard exhaust (having got a decat 3 inch) so im guessing next week ill hear that slap and worry more.

Please send me reassuring replies that I shouldn't really worry. Lastly ifi did an oil change ( i dont know whats in it now) what would be the recomendation in light of the slap?
Old 19 May 2010, 12:23 PM
nks
Scooby Regular

I have this on my classic too! Been there for about 5K miles, I would be Interested to know the replies...
Old 19 May 2010, 01:32 PM
harrisonl84
Scooby Regular

blue smoke out of exhaust???? hmm duno about that.... i got piston slap but no smoke.
Old 19 May 2010, 01:56 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Have piston slap exactly the same as you on my 99 - ie, it's noticeable when revving it cold, but once warmed up/at higher revs it's very faint and can't really be heard.
Old 19 May 2010, 02:08 PM
fireengine
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harrisonl84
blue smoke out of exhaust???? hmm duno about that.... i got piston slap but no smoke.
I think its blue, its not white vapour like a very cold start> could be fuel too because the big exhaust system doesnt have any cat or baffles of any significant effect. From cold start it always smells of fuel when i reverse over my own exhaust trail.

Is fueling always very high at start up or is it just the big exhaust not containing the fumes? Its stays at high idle for a good time. How is fueling checked what needs to be performed?