Notices

Knock sensor fault code

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2010, 12:55 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor fault code

Help!!!! I have the knock sensor fault code has come up, can anyone give me an idea of what the problem may be? I dont want to splash out loads of cash, but cant be without the car! Answers pleeeese, kris
Old 20 May 2010, 01:12 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Big Bump!!!!! help!!!!!!!
Old 20 May 2010, 01:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I was going to answer your post but will wait a little while now because, to be honest, bumping your thread after less than 20 minutes isn't really fair to everyone else, no matter how desperate you are. If everyone did that the board would descend into chaos pretty quick.

Check back in 20 minutes.
Old 20 May 2010, 01:18 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

awwww come on thats a bit rude. know what it feels like to try and get help some times (although i have never bumped in less than 24 hours) but still help the guy out.
Old 20 May 2010, 01:20 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Sorry for being impatient!!
Old 20 May 2010, 01:22 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

see he has even apologised to you now.

what is the code that has come up?
Old 20 May 2010, 01:37 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Its a fault code 22, knock sensor. Aint got a clue where it came from, but i did have a maf fault which i sorted out. Its puzzling the poo out of me. The car is struggling a bit for power, but it is 10 years old and done 106k. Its the only car in the household, so I dont need it to be major!
Old 20 May 2010, 01:43 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_D
awwww come on thats a bit rude. know what it feels like to try and get help some times (although i have never bumped in less than 24 hours) but still help the guy out.
It's not rude, it's making a point, and I've already said that I am going to help the guy out. Like I said, bumping threads like that isn't really cricket so chose to go answer someone else's first. You could always have answered his post first

Kris: The obvious conclusion to draw would be that your knock sensor has died, although there are a couple of other explanations - either that there's a fault in the wiring loom between the sensor and ECU, or, under some circumstances, a failing airflow sensor can cause the knock sensor error.

However, as you've dealt with a MAF sensor error separately, if you're now running on a new(ish) one this gives you some confidence that you're dealing with a genuine knock sensor problem.

If the knock sensor has failed, your car is drivable but you should ideally avoid driving on boost until you've corrected the problem, as the ECU won't be able to pick up pinging and retard the timing.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, and assuming from the 10 years old comment you have a '99 or '00MY car, you can test the sensor to determine whether it's duff. If you don't have a meter, best way forward is to assume it's gone and replace it. Try Import Car Parts if you don't want to pay dealer price, and I also recall there's someone on eBay who sells genuine JECS sensors at reasonable-ish money too.

Edit: You say the "car is struggling for power". This won't be caused by the code 22 error. Can you explain this in a little more detail? Also, assuming you have a late classic, do you have the standard induction tract and panel filter, or an induction kit/cone filter/oiled foam panel etc?

Last edited by Splitpin; 20 May 2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 20 May 2010, 01:53 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Splitpin, many thanks mate.

Ok, here goes.

Its a late 99 v reg, At the minute its on standard airbox with k&n panel filter, when it was on blitz induction kit, the maf sensor went haywire, so went back to the original setup. The loss of power, i cant explain, sometimes its holding back and kinda 'chuggy' then it goes. its weird. May sound daft, but im no dimwit when it comes to cars, but where is the knock sensor located? Its never something id heard of until i checked the fault codes.

Thanx for your help!
Old 20 May 2010, 02:04 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bolted to the rear top-side of the block, passenger side.

You may have to remove the TMIC to see it/get at it for replacement:-

Last edited by joz8968; 20 May 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 20 May 2010, 02:20 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Super! many thanx mate
Old 20 May 2010, 02:36 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
It's not rude, it's making a point, and I've already said that I am going to help the guy out. Like I said, bumping threads like that isn't really cricket so chose to go answer someone else's first. You could always have answered his post first
i know you have and yes i could of helped him if i knew the answer. i wasnt being funny just trying to make nice of the situation. thats all.
Old 20 May 2010, 02:39 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

It's sunny outside folks - let's keep it all fluffy and nice, eh?
Old 20 May 2010, 02:41 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

stuck in work Joz
Old 20 May 2010, 02:41 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by krisando
Its a late 99 v reg, At the minute its on standard airbox with k&n panel filter, when it was on blitz induction kit, the maf sensor went haywire, so went back to the original setup.
Are you running the same MAF sensor now that you were in the induction kit, or did you buy a new one when you went back to the standard induction arrangement? Also, when you put the airbox back in, did you refit the resonator in the wing?

The loss of power, i cant explain, sometimes its holding back and kinda 'chuggy' then it goes. its weird.
As above the knock sensor won't/can't cause this sort of problem so you'll need to have a look elsewhere for this. Knowing whether you have a new sensor (or not) will be informative.

May sound daft, but im no dimwit when it comes to cars, but where is the knock sensor located?
The picture Joz has posted isn't quite correct. The sensor in that picture is located in the place often used for a second (i.e KnockLink/KS4-etc) sensor, that's not where the main one goes. The main one isn't actually visible in his pic, but you can see the area where it lives. If you look on yours you'll see it beneath the bunch of wires in the left of frame.

It looks just like the one in Joz's picture - donut shaped bit of black plastic held on with a bolt, and with a connector poking out the side with a wire attached to it. The wire will (or should!) be connected to that little white plug you can see in the pic.
Old 20 May 2010, 02:43 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Oops, sorry - didn't realise that.

I've slapped my own wrists.
Old 20 May 2010, 02:44 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_D
stuck in work Joz
Me too - can't breeeeethh lol

Last edited by joz8968; 20 May 2010 at 02:45 PM.