Notices

Smoke from bottom of engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2010, 12:56 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke from bottom of engine?

I checked my oil a few days ago and it was empty as well as the coolant. I have driven it a few times very steadily since then but today I noticed smoke coming form the bottom of the engine when I stopped the engine.

I have just put in some 5w 30 Mobil 1 and advanced engine coolant form Halfords.

Hope I haven't damaged anything. Thing is the car was serviced only a few months back. Do the 2004 Blobeye STIs drink a lot of oil and coolant?

I also had the ABS warning light and warning light on but it went out again? Could there be a electrical fault or broken wire or is the smoke related to the engine overheating and lack of coolant?

How much engine oil do the STIs need? I have 5 litres?

Tim
Old 01 June 2010, 01:12 PM
kighty
Scooby Newbie

It shouldn't be using that much coolant and oil! Is there any oil/coolant leaking onto the bottom of them engine that is creating the smoke? Is there any noise coming from the engine? I've got a MY98 turbo 2000 and had it serviced last July/August and have only put about 0.1l in to top it up and about the same coolant! Can't see there being that much difference in oil/coolant usage. Is ur STI standard?
Old 01 June 2010, 01:21 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

I'm no mechanic so I dont really know where the smoke is coming from. Its after the engine has been switched off and appears to be coming form the underside of the engine or coolant or oil reservoirs?

Daft question but do I recheck oil level when car is cold or running?
Old 01 June 2010, 01:26 PM
kighty
Scooby Newbie

Cold. When checking coolant, let the engine cool down, take the expansion tank cap off then start the car up, that way it will pull the coolant through the pipes and let you know if you have enough coolant in. Have you checked to see if there is oil/coolant sitting in the belly pan?
Old 01 June 2010, 01:30 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

Not really. Whats the best way to check this? Hard to see down there? Bright torch? Jack the car up?
Old 01 June 2010, 01:34 PM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

Hi mate sounds like the rocker cover to me!Not sure about coolant but smoking from bottom is usually where the exhaust melts the seal on rocker cover gasket then oil drips onto exhaust!But does seem like its losing more than that!May be worth getting head gasket diagnostics done to see if its burning it!
Old 01 June 2010, 01:35 PM
kighty
Scooby Newbie

You could jack the car up and put your hand it at the back of it. If there is oil/ coolant in it then it could be happening because the sump gets hot and if the bell pan is full it will be smoking from the liquid touching it. Check it and see if theres any there. I would get it check though because you shouldn't be loosing oil/coolant that quick.
Old 01 June 2010, 02:05 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first check your coolant tank which is on the left of the inlet manifold as you look at it for oil residue or grey/green slush. if you have slush this means you have a gasket failure somewhere allowing the oil to mix into the coolant - this would explain where your water is going.

Need to carry out a check on the car engine bay for oil leaks mate, get a torch jack the car up and begin investigating from underneath....ensure the jack is on properly though and do not rush the procedure check and double check.

Check the driver side area in particular closest to the brake/clutch fluid reservoirs....as this is where majority of gaskets fail epsecially the rocer cover and half moon gaskets on the heads.

Then move onto inspecting the middle housing of the turbo, on the side of the turbo you will see 2 15mm banjo bolt connections check these for coolant leaks.
Old 01 June 2010, 03:02 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

I filled the coolant into a reservoir on the front right of the engine as looking down on it and the oil was just next to that. Coolant isnt just water? I bought engine coolant/antifreeze from Halfords and shoved that in - pink colour?
Old 01 June 2010, 04:39 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

The front right reservoir is an overflow fella....its the header tank you want to fill. This can be found on the left of the inlet manifold...i'll see if i can find you a pic.....this might be your problem.
Old 01 June 2010, 04:48 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

I have put a red square around the header tank where the coolant goes mate....yes you can put a mixture in and the pink should be fine. Your header tank might be plastic and not metal but the location should be the same. The high pressure cap on the tank is a giveaway.

Last edited by STI_Baly; 01 June 2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01 June 2010, 05:38 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

Crap I filled the left hand side one just out of the picture to the left of the oil dip that says coolant on the cap? Will I have done any harm?

It says never remove the cap you are referring to? What should I do?
Old 01 June 2010, 05:41 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

No harm done, but my concern is that the car may be running dry of coolant as i believe the one your filling is an overflow.

Therefore remove the cap that says do not remove which should actually say "Do Not Remove When HOT" and check the coolant level.
Old 01 June 2010, 05:47 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

How do I check. Visual inspection? is there a max and min level anywhere? Sorry I'm a novice!

Also where is the max and min level on the oil dip stick?

And for my final question how do I adjust when the red light comes on for gear changes? There is a wee spindle that has an arrow with + and 1 on it but I cant for the love of me figure out how to set the gear change rev limit?

Last edited by Tim(e); 01 June 2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01 June 2010, 06:01 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming you have no Owners Manual mate.....download your owners manual from here as its virus free (i just checked it)>>>

http://freepdfdownload.net/2004-suba...rs-manual.html

Hopefully this will now sort you out.
Old 01 June 2010, 07:25 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

Its a .rar file? Anyone know what this is?

I opened the coolant like you said and it is 3/4 full? Should it be full to the brim?

Last edited by Tim(e); 01 June 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01 June 2010, 08:00 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Yes mate it is a "WinRar" file the program you need can be downloaded here>>

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Select the very top one and install it, its a trial but should do the job for you.

3/4 full is better than none.....now monitor this for loss.....but never open this when the car is at operating temperature as it is pressureised....but hopefully the owners manual will explain all to you....remember to read the maintenance section in the manual.

Good luck mate

Last edited by STI_Baly; 01 June 2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12 June 2010, 07:39 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

Ok so I got some Mobil 1 %w-30 and engine coolant back into the Scoob. Seems ok but then the wife let the car run out of petrol....

Seems very unresponsive since and down on power/boost?

Any ideas? Does the fuel filter need changed if you run out of petrol? Need to fit a Walbro Fuel Pump I have but not sure how easy it is to do?

Car definately doesn't feel right though. No funny noises or smoke or anything though.

We only get 95 RON fuel over here or 97 Super. Should I be running Super all the time? I was told anything else is piston melting material?

I havent been running Super as its hard to get here even!
Old 12 June 2010, 07:55 PM
girdermonkey84
Scooby Regular

dont know if this will help you but im also a novice,got my97 wagon uk turbo couple of months ago was running sweet until i noticed patches of fluid collecting under the car,looked like oil and water,then noticed after a hard run would get a bit of smoke coming from under the bonnet,checked the coolant and it was manky(like rusty fluid if that makes sense)oil level wasnt too bad,checked the rad and was corroded real bad with green **** all over the back of it and could see water coming out,fitted a new rad then decided to get the oil leak done professionaly,worst news i could have had was crank seal(gearbox out jobby)also the water pump was ****ed,picking my baby up monday should be sweet after that my advice would be to get it looked at rather than trying to diagnose it yourself,could have been alot worse for me if id have left it,hope this helps you mate
Old 13 June 2010, 09:03 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

Car is definitely down on power and not boosting as strong...

I have been informed that as I ran out of fuel my fuel filter is probably knackered and maybe pump....

OIl/Coolant seems to be ok now.

No more smoke from bottom of engine and no oil or fluid patches on driveway.

Would running 95 RON petrol make much of a difference than running 97/98 RON?
Old 14 June 2010, 10:14 AM
kighty
Scooby Newbie

I would defo change the fuel filter as when you run out of petrol whilst driving, all the crap at the bottom of the fuel tank gets draged through the system so could have knackered your filter. You are supposed to run it on 97 ron but couldn't tell you what the difference is between using 97 and 95. I would change the fuel filter and put 2 full tanks of 97 ron through it aswell as put a treatment in with the fuel. See what its like after that and maybe you might need to change the pump.
Old 14 June 2010, 11:47 AM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

On the petrol flap it says use 98 RON only?
Old 14 June 2010, 11:51 AM
kighty
Scooby Newbie

But you said that you can only get 97super so using that is better than 95.
Old 14 June 2010, 11:54 AM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah I know thats right but why make a car that is supposed to be run on 98 RON only and sell it in a country that doesnt offer 98 RON?
Old 14 June 2010, 11:56 AM
kighty
Scooby Newbie

I cant answer that