Worried, did I kill the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2010, 10:35 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Worried, did I kill the turbo

Could someone advice on this...
Car is 05 sti, remapped running 1.5 bar boost, also recently got ported headers and uppipe and 3 port boos solenoid + new remap.
Car was running sweet till I revved it to fuel cut... I know it is bad, actually I never did it in my 3.5 years of ownership, but in an attempt to make better acceleration I hit fuel cut in 2nd, which seem to be at over 7.7k rpms. Car still felt good no problems.
However, next day driving to work, first 4 gears feels good, but in the 5th when pressed harder, and gets to boost it makes some noises which seem to come from turbo area(like grr-ggg-gr- smth like this) and hesitates a bit, goes away and pulls good. In the 6th is much worse: whenever I press throttle half or more, after it build some boost it starts making this noises and acceleration is jerky. It goes away after keeping accelerating after about 1.5 k rpms and then pulls better and smoothly.

Any ideas ? Getting worried

I have no gauges yet installed to see what happens, and I did an ecu reset which didn't help, also visually inspected the pipes around boost controller and all looks good.
Old 03 June 2010, 11:19 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Could be anything, or nothing. On the basis that you have no gauges and so-forth, and therefore have no way to give us any information that will help us suss it out, if it doesn't clear by itself you should have it looked at by someone who knows.
Old 03 June 2010, 11:54 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check vacuum hoses would be my first thought.
Old 03 June 2010, 12:20 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

yeah I know without gauges is not much info... I am trying to have somebody install them for me(already bought the defis)

dynamix, could you tell me where are these hoses located ? Unfortunately I am not so good with the mechanical parts, and search did not turn out with much ?

I have booked the car for a look at, at my local subi garage, but I have not much faith as they know little about tuning.