Notices

STI 2004 - Daft Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2010, 11:55 AM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI 2004 - Daft Questions...

This may seem like a daft question but these turbo cars are all new to me!

What is the optimum revs to change gear at in an 04 STI? These things rev to about 7000 but is there any point?

How long does the boost hold for?

I think I need a good remap as the low down rev range is awful until about 3000rpm when the turbo kicks in.

Also how do I set when the gearchange light comes on and at what revs?

Tim
Old 03 June 2010, 01:21 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on a std or PPP'd car a remap is the most beneficial to do, will get you more power, but more importantly more torqe. Boost will com in lower too, so car is more drivable.

for best acceleration you need fast gearchanges, that is more important as to at what rpm, believe me I know, as I tried it(in the process by mistake also hit the fuel cut and now looks I blow smth, but anyway coming back). I found that my best times were when changed gear at about ~500-750 rpm higher as my max power. On mine that is somewhere between 6.4 - 6.9 k rpms. Most important is that after gear change you are at an rpm where you have max torque, so try to keep there Ofc it is subjective a bit, you might have to drive it a bit differently depending what distance are we talking about. For normal spirited driving I have the buzzer at 6.3k rpm on my sti.

Obviously it will depend on your map exactly, but max boost you'd have only around 2k-2.5k rpms(more or less), so you'll need to play around a bit with it, which is great fun. One thing to avoid is hitting the rev limit.
On a track I found it nice to change a bit higher than usual actually, so many times I changed at around 7 k rpms
Have safe fun