Notices

Help!! Start problem on Mapped WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2010, 03:42 PM
leecharlton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Start problem on Mapped WRX

Hi I have a little prob with my bugeye the car is runnin 310bhp with mods and a remap all been on the rolling road and everything is ok and safe but i have a problem when car has been runnin when i leave it for 5 mins then get back in it it takes a while to fire up sometimes arounds 5 seconds plus to fire always starts but seems not right the only thing which it hasnt is a heat sensor in the up pipe this has been unplug as its broken could this be the problem it has both lambda sensors connect has any one got any ideas as it seems to be getting worst
Old 03 June 2010, 03:45 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a common problem according to my mapper. There is no scaling for the fuelling on start-up in terms of cold and hot start. To get a good hot start it would have to be set to run very rich when cold, but that is the fix apparently.
Old 03 June 2010, 04:02 PM
sc_sjo
Scooby Regular

Did it do this before it was modified/remapped? If not then go back to your mapper, or find a better one if he/she can't fix it!
Old 03 June 2010, 04:06 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by sc_sjo
Did it do this before it was modified/remapped? If not then go back to your mapper, or find a better one if he/she can't fix it!
Mine was exactly the same before, if not slightly worse. I did replace the front O2 sensor when I decatted the car as it was throwing a fault code during spirited runs, and that has now cleared.
Old 03 June 2010, 04:08 PM
sc_sjo
Scooby Regular

I'm not familiar with the strategies in the OEM ECU but i'd be very surprised if Subaru let it out the door with hot start problems. Saying that, my classic takes longer to fire upon cranking when hot than cold, but I have other not-yet-diagnosed issues which could be causing it.
Old 03 June 2010, 04:15 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
It is a common problem according to my mapper. There is no scaling for the fuelling on start-up in terms of cold and hot start. To get a good hot start it would have to be set to run very rich when cold, but that is the fix apparently.
While I can believe that's true, as my general belief is that the 16 bit ECUs are a little rudimentary in places, I would be amazed if there is absolutely no cold start compensation at all, purely on the basis that there is a very intricate system on the 99-00 cars, and if they have it, it follows that there should be at least something on the newer units.
Old 09 June 2010, 04:59 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMc
Sorry but this isnt true (unless EcuTek doesnt have access to those tables). There is a very full and comprehensive cold/warm start 2D tables that plots coolant temperature against additional fueling required. There is no need to accept less than perfect starting in all temp states from the OE ecu.

Last edited by dynamix; 09 June 2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09 June 2010, 05:32 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Sorry but this isnt true (unless EcuTek doesnt have access to those tables). There is a very full and comprehensive cold/warm start 2D tables that plots coolant temperature against additional fueling required. There is no need to accept less than perfect starting in all temp states from the OE ecu.
Thought so. If it can be done on the earlier cars, it's bizarre to contend that it isn't possible on later ones.
Old 09 June 2010, 05:41 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I cant believe that ecutek doesnt have this ability either.
Old 09 June 2010, 05:48 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I cant believe that ecutek doesnt have this ability either.
Quite, sounds more like "mapper" not knowing what's possible than the alternative.

Last edited by Splitpin; 09 June 2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10 June 2010, 01:42 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

avaiable in ecutek too.

if issue was there before remap, then perhaps crank and cam sensors worn..

Simon
Old 10 June 2010, 09:11 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

thought so Simon, couldnt believe it wouldnt be there.

Good point on crank/cam sensors.