Notices

02 Impreza Ecu question

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2010, 04:00 PM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Impreza Ecu question

hi folks a friend of mine has purchased an 02 plate which has been quite heavily modified
forged block,cams,FMIC,reversed inlet plenum,GT3040 on twisted manifold etc.
the car runs very well but is very rich on idle,cruise and WOT.the ecu is currently ecutekd but he is looking to get another standard ecu so that it can be tuned with opensource software as and when the need arrises.

So,the main question is are there any complications in swapping for a standard 02/03 ecu.im aware there is an immobiliser of sorts so will the code need taken from the current ecu and embedded into the new one or is there another way around it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

John
Old 21 July 2010, 04:20 PM
Petbeemer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyt80
hi folks a friend of mine has purchased an 02 plate which has been quite heavily modified
forged block,cams,FMIC,reversed inlet plenum,GT3040 on twisted manifold etc.
the car runs very well but is very rich on idle,cruise and WOT.the ecu is currently ecutekd but he is looking to get another standard ecu so that it can be tuned with opensource software as and when the need arrises.

So,the main question is are there any complications in swapping for a standard 02/03 ecu.im aware there is an immobiliser of sorts so will the code need taken from the current ecu and embedded into the new one or is there another way around it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

John
From what ive gathered so far m8 you would need the key transponder and key chip ecu from the donor car along with the ecu, easier to get the ecutek removed and put back to stock, opensource works great on these cars and is free
Old 21 July 2010, 04:26 PM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

ah ok well he was kind of hoping it wouldnt involve a doner car and hoped it was like removing the immobiliser on an evo. iv read also that its not an easy swap back from ecutek to standard as a few folks have had trouble reading ecus afterwards.

Last edited by jonnyt80; 21 July 2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 21 July 2010, 04:37 PM
Petbeemer
Scooby Regular

Yer the Evo's are a dam site easier, i helped in the original opensource project for the Evo's
If Ecutek'd back it should work fine as per opensource, do you have a deskey USB dongle at all? i managed to flash mine back to stock myself
Old 21 July 2010, 04:48 PM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

I have both openport cables 1.3u and Op2.0
Old 21 July 2010, 05:01 PM
Petbeemer
Scooby Regular

2.0 is more reliable
Old 21 July 2010, 05:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No point in going open source if you already have an ecutek license, its going to be cheaper to remap the ecu he already has.

Tony
Old 21 July 2010, 05:44 PM
Petbeemer
Scooby Regular

Not if he wants to do it himself as per original question
Old 21 July 2010, 05:56 PM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
No point in going open source if you already have an ecutek license, its going to be cheaper to remap the ecu he already has.

Tony
I agree wih you to an extent but your stuck with waiting hand and foot on a tuner which can take weeks. Or take it to a new tuner who then has to start again as ecutek dealers cannot read each others maps. Opensource is a better way of tuning as your not stuck with using one tuner or even better DIY
Old 21 July 2010, 05:58 PM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Petbeemer
2.0 is more reliable
I know I don't use he 1.3 much anymore. So can I flash a stock file over even though ecutek has locked it? I'm assuming no
Old 21 July 2010, 05:58 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

is the car JDM or UK
Old 21 July 2010, 06:18 PM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
is the car JDM or UK
Uk as far as I know. I'm pretty sure JDM ecus have no immobiliser enabled
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong
Old 21 July 2010, 06:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

I agree wih you to an extent but your stuck with waiting hand and foot on a tuner which can take weeks. Or take it to a new tuner who then has to start again as ecutek dealers cannot read each others maps. Opensource is a better way of tuning as your not stuck with using one tuner or even better DIY
You dont want to read it, just remap it

Tony
Old 21 July 2010, 06:38 PM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

You dont want to read it, just remap it

Tony
The owner does want it remapped but would prefer to keep the original ecu as it is And remap another
Old 21 July 2010, 07:34 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony
I am inclined to agree with Tony. With the spec above it won't take much to seriously damage the engine and if you have no prior mapping experience you are either very brave or very foolish to try to map the above. You want the best mapper to get the best results out of the spec you have there.
Old 21 July 2010, 07:51 PM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by harvey
I am inclined to agree with Tony. With the spec above it won't take much to seriously damage the engine and if you have no prior mapping experience you are either very brave or very foolish to try to map the above. You want the best mapper to get the best results out of the spec you have there.
Again I don't disagree with points being made.The current owner is not 100% happy with the way the car runs at present. I'm led to believe that the car has been remapped several times during spec changes which again is no big problem. One major issue is that the car is mapped for using meths which the owner is not to happy about having to fuss around carrying meths for every fill up.
As stated earlier getting hold of tuners can take weeks which is not really an ideal situation
Old 22 July 2010, 01:50 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Probably gain several advantages by having an after market ecu installed which is then free for the owner to alter etc..

Simtek or Syvecs for example, the standard ecu on the power level potential you have there is not going to work as well as an after market ecu

Simon
Old 22 July 2010, 05:01 AM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Probably gain several advantages by having an after market ecu installed which is then free for the owner to alter etc..

Simtek or Syvecs for example, the standard ecu on the power level potential you have there is not going to work as well as an after market ecu

Simon
Hi jolly, what advantages are you going to have compared to the standard ecu?
Old 22 July 2010, 07:56 AM
71/200
Scooby Regular

Stand alone would allow to ditch the maf on the rotated set up. Is the MAF in the OE position or blowthrough.

Personally if i ever went rotated Stand alone would be my choice.
Old 22 July 2010, 08:01 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Hi jolly, what advantages are you going to have compared to the standard ecu?
No maf, not restricted by standard ecu which beyond 450bhp can be used but is holding it back, live tuning, multiple maps, faster processor, options of als, launch control, he can access it to alter the map if he wants, other features depending on ecu etc.
It should gain power.
Simon
Old 22 July 2010, 08:38 AM
Petbeemer
Scooby Regular

I know I don't use he 1.3 much anymore. So can I flash a stock file over even though ecutek has locked it? I'm assuming no
Ecutek use deskey encription so if you have a deskey dongle then it's possible or at least it was on mine but i did use ecutek at one time and still have the program on my comp, i gave it up when i worked on opensource
Old 22 July 2010, 09:28 AM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
No maf, not restricted by standard ecu which beyond 450bhp can be used but is holding it back, live tuning, multiple maps, faster processor, options of als, launch control, he can access it to alter the map if he wants, other features depending on ecu etc.
It should gain power.
Simon
The car is running a blow through set up so not much of a restriction. Live tuning would be a good addition but not worth the 1k plus for the ecu.what restrictions does the stock ecu pose? From what iv seen on the opensource software the parameters available are very detailed
Old 22 July 2010, 09:54 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

The car is running a blow through set up so not much of a restriction. Live tuning would be a good addition but not worth the 1k plus for the ecu.what restrictions does the stock ecu pose? From what iv seen on the opensource software the parameters available are very detailed
the restriction is not the physcial restriction side of it, but the having to use a maf and associated ecu.

its not the availablity of the map definition but the standard ecu trying to tune a car well beyonds it's design scope. It's difficult to put into words.. if you brought the car to me in current state did a dyno run on it to get torque and power, and then I remapped it on an aftermarket ecu, I would put money on the fact it would make more power and torque and if you then got someone independent to drive it on either setup without telling them which ecu was plugged in they would find the aftermarket ecu smoother and more power and torque and a better car to drive imho.

Simon
Old 22 July 2010, 10:03 AM
jonnyt80
Scooby Newbie

Thanks simon, I have no doubts that you could make more power and torque on aftermarket ecus. This is probably down to the lack of knock control in most aftermarket units. I know the evos are very sensitive to knock on the standard ecus so I assume these will be similar. Iv put the question to the owner but I'd like to know more about these ecus if possible. I had heard that a speed density conversion had been done but I think it was newer models
Old 22 July 2010, 09:52 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

The standard ecus knock control can interfere but can be helped by knock sensor location.. Syvecs has knock control and Simtek knock control is coming, currently engine light used as knock detection.. but all configurable so no pulling the power unnecessarily.. but even if you could get the standard ecu to not pull timing due to fantom noise you would still see more power and a nicer car to drive on after market ecu at the potential power level of the spec you mention.

Simon