Notices

Found Oil in engine bay :(

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2010, 12:32 PM
Stevie-Type25
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found Oil in engine bay :(

Was cleaning the engine bay a little today and noticed a pool of oil (see pictures

anyone have any ideas?

I'm going to get intouch with Ian at Litchfield in a few weeks when i get time off work for a service but i wanna know if its safe to drive around in the meantime. There's no smell of burning oil and the car feels fine in its self (sounds abit tappety on tick over). i guess just keep checking and topping up oils if needed.

thanks for reading and any info
Old 23 July 2010, 01:12 PM
newman90
Scooby Regular

I would try clean it out and see how quickly it refills give you an idea on how bad the leak is
Old 23 July 2010, 01:47 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

could it be the rocker cover gasket leaking, there is also a breather pipe that runs across there.
Old 24 July 2010, 12:54 PM
Stevie-Type25
Scooby Newbie

Think ill give it a good clean and keep my eye on it untill I take it for service.

Cheers guys
Old 24 July 2010, 05:24 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

i too have noticed a small amount of oil residue not too far from where yours is,where the air con pump/compressor is if you look to front of it and little to the left and down a bit theres a sensor conector (cam sensor i think) i have a bit of oily substance.split pin did say a few suggestions of what it may be but was wondering if it may be any oil from air con pump/compressor ? ive had regass on air con and its lost its chill in about 3 months so either a leak or pump seals,not sure if oil would come out if seals are gone tho,any one know ?
Old 29 July 2010, 04:18 PM
Stevie-Type25
Scooby Newbie

did a 600+ mile trip the other day check oil level in the morning and it was fine just checked the oil now and the dip stick was bone dry

this is going to be annoying.. i dare not take it all the way to litchfield so ill have to take it to the local garage and see what they say.

anyone any ideas?

theres no smell of burning oil, no patch on the floor where its parked its as if its been stolen over night or burnt off out the exhaust or somthing which cant be a good sign

ill let you guys know how things go. hope this isnt going to turn out to be a lemon
Old 29 July 2010, 11:02 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

my sti leaked from here ,there is an oil way bung in the block just under the water cross over pipe (allen key bolt can just see it).
100% be coming from there.
only way to fix is remove inlet manifold.
drain water remove alloy cross over pipe
clean oil up and remove bung and use new copper washer and use little bit of sealers if
you feel the need to.
Old 04 August 2010, 12:50 PM
Stevie-Type25
Scooby Newbie

Its looking more and more like the headgasket. I'm pushing coolant out the cap on the overflow and theres a black stain inside the overflow. Its going into garage next week anyway so hopfuly should be allsorted at a price that i know im not gonna like lol