TSL Headers

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2010, 07:06 PM
John Type R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSL Headers

Hi

I have just purchased some TSL headers for my Version 4 Type R. Im currently running a front mount, exhaust, downpipe, filter and simtek ecu.

Im a long way from home where my mapper is based (Alan Jeffrey Engineering). If I installed the headers now would the car run ok and would the headers effect the map that is currently on there? as I wont be going back to see Alan until the end of August. Or would it be better to wait and have the map altered at the same? any help would be very much appreciated

thanks

John.
Old 25 July 2010, 07:14 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

If you dont mind me asking, did you buy the headers from the shop or via the internet? I have heard TSL have closed down but not too sure.
Old 25 July 2010, 07:16 PM
John Type R
Scooby Regular

No i purchased them from ebay. Im pretty sure the online shop is still open though
Old 25 July 2010, 09:50 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as you stay off boost and dont drive like a loon, im sure it will be fine
Old 25 July 2010, 10:31 PM
DanT20
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastboyslim
If you dont mind me asking, did you buy the headers from the shop or via the internet? I have heard TSL have closed down but not too sure.
TSL has gone as a premisses but believe still selling remaining stock via ebay shop

http://www.proplates.co.uk/
Old 01 August 2010, 12:16 AM
Minjeeta
Scooby Regular

What turbo are you running, and what are ye puttin on the downpipe side of the turbo?

Everything thats modified up or down - remap. Why mods are done in stages I'd think.
These headers apart from sounding the business give ye more exhaust flow and higher engine temperatures - what gives ye more power, can also melt yer pistons.

The headers and downpipe - along with your current FMiC, airfilter and simtek ecu - i'd say you were maybe 3 more mods away (maybe 2 mods, depending on what turbo you're running), from takin your EJ20 an gearbox to the max limit for a street car you can use most days 320-330 brakes of horsey power.

My advice before going for a remap, is to spend another (100-150) for a set of pink sti 550cc injectors and a walbro 255 lph fuel pump.....

The guy doin the remapping will keep ye right if ye tell him what yer doin no?

The advice from us - stay off the boost, don't be a loon and spend more cash.

DaOne will **** himself when he reads his post back when he's sober.

TSL Motorsport the engineering company closed last year or the year before.
Old 01 August 2010, 12:31 AM
John Type R
Scooby Regular

Im running the standard turbo. If you mean whats after the downpipe, I have a Kakimoto full system. My car has been mapped by most likely the most highly regarded mapper on this forum (Alan Jefferey/Martin Jefferey - Engine Tuner).

I have been told the Standard Type R gearbox will take alot more than 320bhp, even with severe abuse. I also allready have a Walbro Fuel Pump and Power Enterprise 750cc Injectors.

As im really far away from plymouth where engine tuner is based im taking my car to the actual person that designed the Simtek ECU (steve simpson) so im sure my car will be fine, thanks for the advice anyway! :P
Old 01 August 2010, 02:06 AM
Minjeeta
Scooby Regular

Firstly mate, ye asked for help, an ah wasnae bein wan eh the smart pri!cks an givin ye the smarmy patronising sh!te - and if I maybe did, in stating that you need a remap for EVERY modification, and that this bit of kit you're asking if you can put on an run without having the ecu remapped could roast the f*ck out of your engine. The most likely most highly regarded idiot on this forum told ye that.

I meant on the downpipe side of the turbo i.e. from the turbo - down out the @rse of the car, so I could help you again by advising what to do with the manifold exhaust sensor, depending what you had fitted, and what hole to blank up on the headers if you had it relocated already in the downpipe (hence needing to know what you had from the turbo back and not the downpipe.)

Also surpised you haven't been told, that as you are fitting a decat up pipe, the O2 sensor thus becomes redundant resulting in a CEL and limp mode, (so there goes the stay off the boost **** from one of our pedigree chum) so the sensor needs swithed off via OBD or the circuit can be closed with a 2ohm resistor in the plug.

Now, I'm not by any means critisising any of your celebrity tuners and designers or whatever mate, or critisise your car or what you do with it. I only took the time out to post to make sure you didn't f*ck your engine by doing what you asked the question about.

Ah don't mean to sound like a c0ckend, but ye ignored the answer to the question you posted and thanked me for the advise which was just stupid sh!te at the end.

Cheers.
Old 01 August 2010, 02:26 AM
John Type R
Scooby Regular

Wow crikey! where did that come from lol. jeeeeez man u feeling ok? Well i do realise that a tweak or in some cases to ensure maximum potential from a modification a remap must be carried out. All i wanted to know was whether the car would be safe to drive, that is all!

Thanks for your advice and help i really appreciate it, however what you have just told me i already know. The most critical factor if installing these headers as ive been advised is due to the increased flow of gasses, therefore with no extra fuel added to compensate will cause the engine to run lean therefore increased temperature will be generated.

My initial question wasnt about where sensors should go or which holes should be blanked, all i asked is whether it would be safe which i stress yet again. anyway thanks for the help dude, i really appreciate ure time.
Old 01 August 2010, 08:04 AM
71/200
Scooby Regular

LOL, i wonder if minge had a few bevvies last night?

Some good solid advice there for a newage wrx

OP,s car is a classic, different set up but i think he will be fine now.
Old 01 August 2010, 10:11 AM
Minjeeta
Scooby Regular

Ha ha. At least I knew I was bein a c0ckend.

Yeah, all the best John, hope ye get all sorted mate. An ah hope ah get rid of this hangover....
Old 02 August 2010, 08:09 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In answer to the OP, your new headers will probably radically alter the spool point which could now be in an area not previously mapped so I suggest you drive with some restraint until you get a remap which will probably involve removing fuel in some places but adding fuel in others and for this reason avoid WOT and heavy load until the remap takes place.