New Owner - Exhaust Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2010, 12:06 PM
LEE-03WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - Exhaust Advice Needed

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a 2003 WRX (Non-STi), for a bargain price. The guy was in tears when I left with it as his other half was more a less forcing him to sell it lol. Remind me never to sell my car when the GF is present Love the feel and drive of the car. Its had the PPP pack fitted although not sure exactly what, I have the receipt indoors so I'll have to check.

So onto other modifications I want to buy a new exhaust system for it as the prodrive exhaust doesn't do the car justice if you ask me. I have been looking at the Nur Spec R. I'd want to fully decat the car as I have a friendly MOT tester . Including the up & down pipes.

I've read through the forums and can see that most people recommend a re-map after the exhaust has been fitted. Basically I want to know who can re-map the car and roughly how much it will cost. I live in East London so the closer the better to be honest.

I found the Nur Spec R for £500
How much for the Downpipe?
How much for the Uppipe?
How much for the remap (approx)

I have also seen a K&N Appollo Cold Air Induction System for £150. Would this be a worthwhile investment too?

P.S I've also noticed I automatically joined a secret club when I was driving the car back. Saw 2 other Scoob drivers who waved and flashed me to say Hi. Same thing motorcyclists do when we see another rider on a Superbike, we nod heads (I also have an R1).

Thanks all,
Lee
Old 28 July 2010, 03:59 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi m8 if you want remap in your area,nearest is Slowboy aka Neil,Top bloke which did my car(remap now happily runing 300BHP,fitting Nur-Spec,FMIC and doing everything on my car),here is website and tel.number,for remap charging 350£
http://www.slowboy-racing.co.uk/
I personally dont recommend you any induction kit if don't go more than 360bhp(if you are going FMIC route go for CAIK)and if you are stick with TMIC,panel filter its not restrictive for up to 350-360bhp.
I have fitted Nur-Spec,its very loud and my neigbours are not very happy,.
Personally first fit exhaust and after go reamp(if its possible look for up pipe)
Dowpipe cost around 160£(i personlly recomend H&S,Afterburner,Cobra and please dont buy cheap ebay stuff)
Uppipe cost aroud 60-120£(i recommend you for Harvey uppipe,just search on forum)
Remap cost from 350£(which is opensource) or try EcuTek route(which is more expensive 600£)
Induction kit its for your current setup waste of money and probably will kill your MAF(which its not cheapest around 200£).
Save money for induction kit,buy some droplinks and anti roll bars or save money for STi brake kit

Last edited by jura11; 28 July 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 29 July 2010, 08:17 AM
LEE-03WRX
Scooby Newbie

Some good information there. Thanks.

So anyone know the best place to order the Nur Spec R from? I looked at a couple of sites and £500 was the cheapest I found.

Nur Spec R: £500
De-cat downpipe: Afterburner £165
De-cat uppipe: Afterburner £135
Green Air Filter £40

£840
if it hasn't been already should I get the Walbro 255lph fuel pump for £90?

So thats £930 + labour + £350 remap.
Worthwhile?
Old 29 July 2010, 10:47 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEE-03WRX
Some good information there. Thanks.

So anyone know the best place to order the Nur Spec R from? I looked at a couple of sites and £500 was the cheapest I found.

Nur Spec R: £500
De-cat downpipe: Afterburner £165
De-cat uppipe: Afterburner £135
Green Air Filter £40

£840
if it hasn't been already should I get the Walbro 255lph fuel pump for £90?

So thats £930 + labour + £350 remap.
Worthwhile?

Hi m8

Nur Spec R from classic will fit on New Age WRX,i'm brought last time(1 week ago) full exhaust from classic(Nur Spec R) for 175£ on eBay,just look on eBay.
If you want very loud exhaust try Cobra Exhaust(for full exhaust you will be looking around 400£,which its not bad price with downpipe,center section).
If you have UK WRX you will be looking around 240-250BHP,if you have JDM WRX you will be looking around 270-280BHP(if you lucky you will looking around 300BHP),on WRX its stopping point turbo,if you want more power you must looking for bigger turbo aka VF35 and bigger injectors and after this you will see 340-350BHP,but after this you must upgrade brakes and clutch.For better opinions just call any mapper or just call Neil aka Slowboy Racing,which you recommend and give you better opinions on what buy,what no etc.
If its worthwhile,i don't know but for me its worth every penny.
Old 30 July 2010, 06:32 AM
Keithslippery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEE-03WRX
Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a 2003 WRX (Non-STi), for a bargain price. The guy was in tears when I left with it as his other half was more a less forcing him to sell it lol. Remind me never to sell my car when the GF is present Love the feel and drive of the car. Its had the PPP pack fitted although not sure exactly what, I have the receipt indoors so I'll have to check.

So onto other modifications I want to buy a new exhaust system for it as the prodrive exhaust doesn't do the car justice if you ask me. I have been looking at the Nur Spec R. I'd want to fully decat the car as I have a friendly MOT tester . Including the up & down pipes.

I've read through the forums and can see that most people recommend a re-map after the exhaust has been fitted. Basically I want to know who can re-map the car and roughly how much it will cost. I live in East London so the closer the better to be honest.

I found the Nur Spec R for £500
How much for the Downpipe?
How much for the Uppipe?
How much for the remap (approx)

I have also seen a K&N Appollo Cold Air Induction System for £150. Would this be a worthwhile investment too?

P.S I've also noticed I automatically joined a secret club when I was driving the car back. Saw 2 other Scoob drivers who waved and flashed me to say Hi. Same thing motorcyclists do when we see another rider on a Superbike, we nod heads (I also have an R1).

Thanks all,
Lee
hi mate welcome to the world of scoobys, good luck with the car, I also have a R1 1998
Old 30 July 2010, 06:52 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Simon (jollygreenmonster) is in Kent, you could either get a road session wih him or meet him at one of his days at surrey rolling road. He has a website, stick jollygreenmonster in google.
Old 31 July 2010, 12:30 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Decat purpose designed uppipe, stainless steel, slip jointed so no gasket issues, DEI heat wrapped, five new Subaru studs. £139.
Proven performance gains.