Notices

Banjo Bolts on a VF28!?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2010, 07:20 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banjo Bolts on a VF28!?

Got round to fitting the vf28 to my MY00 Classic, and found some banjo bolts already in place. Are the ones that i need to get from Subaru to replace the ones from the TD04 any of the three in this picture?

Old 30 July 2010, 07:25 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No mate they are the 2 water feed bolts which you should be able to use off your td04 an bolt straight on to your vf28,your oil banjo is the one that you appear to have in the top which will need replacing , the td04 one is a wider diameter.you should have 2 copper washers on each water bolt and 2 for the oil feed banjo which are a slightly smaller size.

Last edited by midnight; 30 July 2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 30 July 2010, 07:31 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Ahaa! So that would suggest that I have been given all the bolts I need and only need the copper crush washers?
Old 30 July 2010, 07:36 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Yes mate ,or you can take the ones off your old td04 and refit them,making sure you rotate them 180 degrees(turn them over) before refitting them.
Old 30 July 2010, 09:36 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chtpcpo
Ahaa! So that would suggest that I have been given all the bolts I need and only need the copper crush washers?
That picture is not sufficient for us to see whether you have all the bolts you need. You also need to change the banjo bolt at the cylinder head end of the oil supply for the proper ball/roller bearing restrictor/filter bolt. This is part number 14445AA002 (altho this may by now have been superseded, dealer will tell you), available from your local main stealer for something like £16.

You can reuse the crush washers or get new ones when you collect the above. Also don't forget the remap, which you will need pretty much immediately.
Old 30 July 2010, 09:44 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

For God's sake! Just when you think you have sorted it! Right then, i will take another picture in the moro and try again. I thought that the restrictore oil supply bolt was the one at the top of the picture! Clearly not!

Back to the drawing board!

As far as the remap is concerned, i take it that an ECU reset will not suffice for a couple of weeks?
Old 30 July 2010, 09:46 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

For God's sake! Just when you think you have sorted it! Right then, i will take another picture in the moro and try again. I thought that the restrictore oil supply bolt was the one at the top of the picture! Clearly not!

Back to the drawing board!

As far as the remap is concerned, i take it that an ECU reset will not suffice for a couple of weeks?
take it steady and it will ok and by that i mean keep of the boost lol as your fueling/ignition map is all wrong for that turbo

Trending Topics

Old 30 July 2010, 10:00 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Roger that, thanks. Seems like you and Midnight are going to have a lot of input into this build!
Old 30 July 2010, 10:03 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

if your having a remap have u changed your fuel pump an tmic. i think the vf28 may exceed the tmic potential
Old 30 July 2010, 10:16 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Got an STI V6 one but it is cracked and leaking. Took the alloy hard pipe and turbo elbow pipe off and from my investigations it seems that this is they key difference between the UK and STI versions. Walbro already installed as well as 2.5" decat, green cotton filter and WR Sport backbox.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:30 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Chtpcpo,no need to panic,as splitpin says above the banjo for the cylinder head end may and has been supersedded.When i changed my turbo back in march,after scouring all the info pages regarding banjo bolts on scoobynet ,i went to subaru uk and ordered the bottom banjo bolt for a P1,as well as getting a parts printout of all the parts associated with the vf28 turbo.When i got home and removed my existing td04 bottom banjo bolt it had the same diameter hole as the new part i had just bought. The only difference is the original banjo off a p1/sti 5 has a small filter inside the bolt,
I returned the banjo to subaru and ordered the one for the top going into the turbo,3 days later it arrived,when you compare this to the std tdo4 top banjo you can clearly see the difference ,the vf bolt is about 0.4 mm where as the td04 item is more like 1.00 mm
If in doubt order the bottom banjo,and when you remove your existing one & compare the 2(identical). I have done this on my 99 uk turbo,and my current 2000 uk turbo,and no problems whatsoever.
No need to reset your ecu after you have fitted turbo,just drive it off boost,and keep it steady and a tip i picked up off splitpin: disconnect your pipe that goes to the wastegate & compressor housing(T piece) & then connect a length of tube from your wastegate to the compressor(4 - 6 inches)

Last edited by midnight; 31 July 2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:33 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I thought that the restrictore oil supply bolt was the one at the top of the picture! Clearly not!
Clearly not. Running a ball bearing turbo on a plain bearing oil supply is less bad than doing it the other way round, but Subaru provide the restrictor for a reason.

No. If you are having the car mapped, the best way to go forward is to fit the turbo a day or two prior and run it on actuator pressure (and a light foot) until you and mapper are in the same place.

Roger that, thanks. Seems like you and Midnight are going to have a lot of input into this build!
That would make for an interesting build.

Originally Posted by seddomyster
if your having a remap have u changed your fuel pump an tmic. i think the vf28 may exceed the tmic potential
That doesn't quite add up Seddomyster. The VF28 doesn't "exceed the TMIC potential" as it's basically the same intercooler as used on the STi5, which of course runs a VF28 as standard. Which isn't to say that changing it wouldn't bring benefits.

In addition the 99-00 UK fuel pump is the same as the one fitted to the STi5-6 so again there should be no pressing need to change it. The main reason to do so would simply be due to the standard pump now being 10-11 years old.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:38 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

No need to change your tmic as both P1 and sti 5 type r have the silver sti tmic and are good for 330 bhp . if you look at the std black tmic and compare it to the sti one not much difference apart from the size of the fins.The main difference was the piping network on the std car which was plastic and quite restrictive compared to the smoother freeer flowing sti item.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:39 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

sorry splitpin just read your post ,you can type faster than me.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:46 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Like i say, i am now more confused than ever, will look at the turbo in the morning. My brief look earlier showed that the guy i bought the turbo from included almost all bolts and nuts that i would have expected to have to go looking for so am confident that everything is there!

Will not fit her until i have saved up the pennies for a Bob Rawle ECUTEK remap.

EDIT: And as i said to someone else today, it would have been a sh!te load easier if i had just bought the STi 6 Wagon that i didn't buy because it was a grand more than the UK one...... Looks like i will have spent well over that to get this one to behave like an STi!

Last edited by chtpcpo; 30 July 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:49 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
sorry splitpin just read your post ,you can type faster than me.
can he
Old 30 July 2010, 11:00 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

No need to be confused mate,use the parts that were supplied with the turbo ,i was not so lucky and had to buy the bolt(and spend time to find out if it was right/wrong)that i needed. I have fitted a vf28 to my 99 uk turbo which bob rawle mapped in march this year which made 317 bhp which had damn near the same mods as your car(bar vortex exhaust) .My 2000 uk car has the same mods with the same vf 28 + sti tmic & ninja 2 exhaust and runs 324 bhp,so you should not be too far away.

Have a look in the morning and post up or add a picture of the turbo.

Last edited by midnight; 30 July 2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 30 July 2010, 11:07 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Bolx to it, going to have a look now!
Old 30 July 2010, 11:11 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Also if you had bought an sti 6 wagon ,1.your insurance would have been dearer. 2.your current car is designed to run on uk fuel. 3 . Std power is 280 bhp,yours after remap will definetley be higher than that. Here some interesting reading:

http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/58761.html
Old 30 July 2010, 11:20 PM
chtpcpo
Scooby Regular

Righty ho!

This is the view of the left side

This is the view from above

This is from underneath

I can't see any banjo bolts (as long as they are the same as those on a GSXR brake caliper!) other than those we haev already talked about. There is a hole in the underside with a small gasket and 2 bolts but other than that nada!
Old 30 July 2010, 11:47 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

right mate you have the banjo bolt going in to the top of the turbo,when you take your old turbo off you will see a 10 mm screw which holds your oil feed pipe to the turbo,unscrew that and carefully bend the pipe away when your taking the turbo off(no need to disconnect at the cylinder head end).
When you have your td04 off,you will see a pipe at the bottom of the turbo held by 2x bolts ,unscrew these and take the oil return pipe off and bolt it on to your vf28(picture 3) making sure you check the condition of the gasket before fitting.Use all of the copper washers off your td04 if the vf28 does not have them.You will also need to use the water pipes off you td04 .When you try to fit these you will notice that they do not line up with you vf holes.the water pipes are held together by a small piece of metal,simply bend the 2 pipes back and forth and the two pipes split into 2. The 1 that is shaped like a U goes to the bottom hole and the other one goes to the top. thats it

Bolt it on before you go for to see bob for your remap and be prepaired to be impressed

Last edited by midnight; 30 July 2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 30 July 2010, 11:53 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

After you have fitted your vf28 if you connect a short length of pipe between the actuator and the compressor you will be fine (picture 2)