Notices

NEWBIE HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2010, 11:04 PM
tanjaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE HELP PLEASE

Hi, I have been a member on here for a while but just been looking. I have an 02 bugeye wrx and last week on hols the rad decided to split and she got a little hot although not REALLY HOT but close. Now it was fine to drive it the 300 miles home and round cornwall for a few days but yesterday it got hot again and stunk. Checked the coolant and it had gone. rebled system today and got good heater and flow etc.. thought all fine. just took it out and its getting hot again and then the oil light came on dimly so switched it straight off and coasted for a bit. once restarted the oil light was out so gingerly drove it home. my thinking is the coolant may be getting into sump thinning the oil out hence the coolant loss. no gunk on oil filler no steam and no misfire/ exhaust gas smell in header tank. Really hoping the block not fecked but instinct is telling me otherwise. Any ideas or previous history of similar problems?

cheers jared
Old 02 August 2010, 07:10 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

sounds like head gasket exaccerbated by you rad leak. get your wallet out. a simple fix back then has now has the possibility to cost you £1.5K
Old 02 August 2010, 11:33 AM
chris162
Scooby Newbie

Default water leak

sounds like head gasket to me to. can be expensive unless you can do it yourself.....
Old 02 August 2010, 10:39 PM
tanjaz
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies guys. had a look when got home from work and the oil was just a touch low so thats good sign. turns out the new top rad hose has damage on it and dropped coolant out so i replaced it rebled it and jobs a fish. im soooo releived thought i was gonna have to whip the lump out. got enough to do with an engine transplant halfway along on my van!?

cheers jared