Notices

Tuning advice wanted on a WRX 98'

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2010, 04:24 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning advice wanted on a WRX 98'

Hi all just got a Subaru Impreza WRX uk Turbo on a 98 plate. ( is this firstly what is known as a classic ) as this is my first scooby and dont know much about them,

Im looking to get more power out of it with a remap and maybe upgraded turbo? it already has Front mount intercooler, de cat, blitz Nur spec Cat back, and induction kit. would i be able to go get a simple re map as ive been told the ecu's are un mappable on some scoobs? really dont have a clue done have mega bucks to spend but want to up the BHP / Torque around 300+ figure?

What are my best options including prices and power out come?
Old 02 August 2010, 07:06 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

if you have all that work done then there has to have been a change to a mappable ecu.
Old 02 August 2010, 05:45 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

ok doke so what ecu do i need to get and can i get one from a supplier that would supplie fit and setup? what turbo does mine have is it a td04?

Or did you mean for it to run the current mods it has to have a mapped ecu?
Old 02 August 2010, 06:22 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

your turbo could well be a vf22 as mine had one when it was standard but you you shoudl get your car check on the rollers as the mods you have mainly the front mount, it would need a good map and you should see the 300 to 320 bhp but it may have already had somthing done to it. so first get it check by a good company with a set of rollers and also id say get a sim tec speak to the jolly green monster check out his web site for the sim tec ecu
Old 02 August 2010, 06:36 PM
Eternal Rage
Scooby Regular

Guessing this is a Uk Turbo 2000 badged as a WRX? No UK Spec WRX?

Which on a 1998 plate will make 208/214 BHP standard, cant remember
It will have a TD04 Turbo, TD05 16g is sensible upgrade, low rpm spool and capable of decent top end power.

1998 Turbo 2000 ECU will not be mappable... which gives you two options...
- An aftermarket ECU, like Apexi Power FC etc... and then a remap (£1000 easily) ...
- Or a Manual Boost controller (about £20).

Happy Modding
Old 02 August 2010, 06:39 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

ok mate nice one cheers. ill look him up now. need to book a session on the rollers then lol
Old 02 August 2010, 07:29 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

ah ok mate yeh must be a uk turbo 2000 then im guess not really sure as i dont know much about them at all. if i got a td05 i take it then it would need mapping to run it, and a boost controller wouldnt be as reliable or safe as a map is that right? gonna book a dyno run for this week see what needs doing then go from there.
Old 02 August 2010, 07:38 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Martin, as Bigsinky said earlier, with all those bits under the bonnet it already badly needs a remap. And, as far as TD05 etc goes, have you actually examined the turbo already in there to check whether or not it's standard?

Would also suggest you lift the front passenger carpet, remove the cover plate and see what sort of ECU you have, and tell us what you see on the sticker. It may well be that it already has a non-standard unit in there. If it doesn't, there's a significant chance that it is currently running outside its safe performance envelope, merely due to the presence of the front mount intercooler and the induction kit.

It would also help us to advise you if we knew what model year your car was. If you have a "98", you could have either a 98MY, or an early 99MY car. This is significant for a number of reasons - not least that the ECU on the '99 cars is reprogrammable, and the '98 (currently) not. Have a look at the vehicle ID plate on the nearside front suspension turret and tell us what the Applied Model code is. If the fourth character is an "F" (i.e. GC8FK8D) , you have a 98 model year car. If it's a G (GC8GK8D), you have a '99MY.

Last edited by Splitpin; 02 August 2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02 August 2010, 07:42 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

ok mate ill go and inspect it all and come back to you tommorrow boost wise its runner 0.8/ 0.9 bar as its got a boost gauge lol ill have to have a good look over it all and find out exactly whats its got etc first then come back to you. cheers.
Old 02 August 2010, 08:17 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

right just had a look and its got engine code GC8FK8D the ecu has a black and silver sticker with big black letters 8 S at the top. i also found under the stereo and ash tray behind the dash another box with DENSO written on it. has big yellow sticker on it and some red writting etc. and the turbo looks stock as i cant see any numbers etc and looks like its been in there a while ill up load some pics of turbo etc, whats every ones veiws on that?
Old 02 August 2010, 10:49 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin 2010
right just had a look and its got engine code GC8FK8D... whats every ones veiws on that?
Okay. You have a 1998 model year car. It sounds from the "8S" sticker that your ECU is a standard Subaru unit.

Without having seen the car, it's impossible for any of us to tell you whether it's running right, but to hear that it has both a front mount intercooler, induction kit and decat, is not particularly reassuring.

Aside from anything else, if the ECU is standard, and with the standard turbo, you will not be benefiting from the FMIC and cone filter - and it may well be that the car would run better without one or both of them.

As a '98 car, the ECU is not currently remappable, although this solution is being worked on more or less as we speak. The bottom line is that your car almost certainly needs a remap now, to run correctly with its current modifications, let alone if you went on to change the turbo.

If I were in your shoes I'd speak to a respected tuner close to you and work out your options. If you are thinking about changing the turbo in the short term, the obvious thing to do would be to fit an aftermarket ECU at the same time and have it all mapped in.

Be careful with the dyno run too. If it appears that the car is running lean or detting, make sure the boot is removed from the throttle immediately. Much better that than the alternative.
Old 02 August 2010, 11:06 PM
Eternal Rage
Scooby Regular

Thought it would prob be a UK model from what you said. I was in exactly the same place you are now. Mine got stripped and sold before i had a chance to really tune it though engine wise.

There is a Apexi Power FC unit for car built between 09/1996-08/1998 which i think yours would be being an MY98. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apexi-Power-FC...ht_3075wt_1140

Someone should be able to confirm if that would do the job for you.

I havent seen many of them sold, but £399 is a pretty good price IIRC, factor in fitment and the re-map into your budget if you do decide to go for it. As mentioned, Simon at Jolly Green Monster is pretty hot on these.
Old 02 August 2010, 11:13 PM
John Type R
Scooby Regular

I used to have a 1997 UK turbo 2000. I bought a second hand Apexi ECU and had it mapped (which totalled 600quid) which is alot cheaper if u go for a new unit. The car had an exhaust, downpipe, filter and it ran 280bhp. It was a really nice map on there and loved it! I wouldnt spend too much on it though, if your serious and want to go far i would keep it for a year get used to it then go for an Sti.
Old 02 August 2010, 11:34 PM
Eternal Rage
Scooby Regular

^^^ actually agree with that a lot but patience is a virtue... lol

had my UK Turbo for nearly 2 years, always wanted more from it (it was running 13.5 1/4 @98mph, circa 270bhp), but never got round to it, the engines and transmissions cant take too much more tbh. I decided to call it quits after 2 gearboxes and 2 engines and got a 280BHP Twin Turbo Legacy, and next one will be 300BHP V5 STi Type R in a month or so.
Old 03 August 2010, 12:11 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eternal Rage
...There is a Apexi Power FC unit for car built between 09/1996-08/1998 which i think yours would be being an MY98. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apexi-Power-FC...ht_3075wt_1140

Someone should be able to confirm if that would do the job for you...
Yes, that's the one for a MY97/98 car...
Old 03 August 2010, 06:39 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

ah thats not good then lol, im on the case of getting the ecu and incontact with simon, The car at the moment seems to run fine, its pulling hard through out boost etc on tick over smells like its got to much fuel, the only time it doesnt like it is at exactly 75mph whilest accelerating hard it sort of cuts out and stalls then goes again. but if you 3/4 throttle it its fine and doesnt do that. either way not risking it just poodling about until its had ecu upgrade and re map to suit the mods, ill stick with std turbo that way ill get safer every day power with out killing the clutch or gearbox as quick as i would with a uprated turbo lol, then once insurance price comes down ill be looking at the sti's as this is my first scooby and only had it 5 days i love it lol qaulity cars comfy and fun to drive.
Old 03 August 2010, 06:45 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

does it need to be an after market ecu or can i get a subaru eco from say an my99 or any other model and have it fitted and mapped?

something like this maybe? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/subaru-impreza...item1e5d74543b

Last edited by Martin 2010; 03 August 2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03 August 2010, 01:16 PM
Eternal Rage
Scooby Regular

You will need one from that age car, hence the link to the Apexi one on Ebay.
You wont find a much cheaper option that that.
Old 04 August 2010, 06:52 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

ok mate nice one, im guessing a boost controller wont solve this either defo needs to be a remap and ecu, it just doesnt seem to have running problems seems to smell of fuel on tick over which suggest to me its not running lean but that could just be tick over and runs and pulls very hard more than 200bhp id say maybe wrong though. any one local that has good knowledge fancie meetin up and having a look see what you think?