Notices

Will this turbo fit and improve my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2010, 01:54 PM
Toomanycars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this turbo fit and improve my car?

I have a 2000 X reg Classic Turbo that has has a full 3" turbo back exhaust,panel filter and Ecutek remap (done in 2006) and am toying with taking the car to the next stage of tune but i'm aware that (having posted a question on here) my current standard original turbo is the main limiting factor in getting more power.

I have seen a turbo advertised that is described as the following and wondered if it was an appropriate and more importantly worthwhile upgrade?

The turbo in question is a STI TDO5 16G and is meant for 02-06 Impreza's.
It is also stated in the advert that it would need to have oil and water lines bought in addition to the turbo as i assume it doesn't come with them??

Obviously my car would need to be remapped if i bought and fitted a new,larger turbo,but if the one above is an improvement on my car,is there anything else that would need to be done at the same time?

What would i expect from the upgrade with regards power and driveability / additional lag etc?

Cheers in advance!
Old 11 August 2010, 03:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

will fit ok, would be better with a vf35, vf34 or sc36 though.

will prob find it a bit laggier than your td04, but your gonna find most turbos spool a bit slower than the td04.
Old 11 August 2010, 04:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Toomanycars, where, exactly, have you seen this turbo advertised? If it's a genuine Mitsubishi turbo with a proper front mount conversion then the answer would be as per Tidgy, although to get the best out of a 16g you would most likely need further supporting modifications over and above the extra remap. Fuelling (pump, almost certainly injectors) and intercooler will need to be addressed. You are also then in the sort of power arena where you will have to be careful with the gearbox, and will also need better handling and braking.

However, all that said, there are many fake/poor quality turbos being advertised - especially on Ebay. As such, if you can point us in the direction of the advert, it'd be easier to advise you whether the specific unit you are looking at is worth buying or not.
Old 11 August 2010, 05:03 PM
Toomanycars
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Toomanycars, where, exactly, have you seen this turbo advertised? If it's a genuine Mitsubishi turbo with a proper front mount conversion then the answer would be as per Tidgy, although to get the best out of a 16g you would most likely need further supporting modifications over and above the extra remap. Fuelling (pump, almost certainly injectors) and intercooler will need to be addressed. You are also then in the sort of power arena where you will have to be careful with the gearbox, and will also need better handling and braking.

However, all that said, there are many fake/poor quality turbos being advertised - especially on Ebay. As such, if you can point us in the direction of the advert, it'd be easier to advise you whether the specific unit you are looking at is worth buying or not.
It was on Ebay,but it was with (i think)a reputable company...........or at least i see them advertising in the Jap mags - XS Power??
Old 11 August 2010, 05:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

as said alot of dodgy stuff on ebay, personaly i'd stay clerand go to a reputable tuner to source a new one.

supose the question to ask is what your budget?
Old 11 August 2010, 05:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

here ya go, exactkly what you want and half the price.

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...6099-vf35.html
Old 12 August 2010, 07:00 PM
Toomanycars
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
here ya go, exactkly what you want and half the price.

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...6099-vf35.html
Cheers mate,had a look at the link and it's even done a similar mileage to my car (52k) but i have heard so many horror stories about second hand turbo's,and as i don't know what i'm buying,that i think if i was going to do it i would probably go with a new one.

I assume that the VF35 though is the standard turbo on the Blobeye STI?

And obviously from the questions asked in the link,it literally bolts straight onto my car?
Old 12 August 2010, 07:15 PM
wrathchild_78
Scooby Regular

yes it does.

I have build my car up the last 2 years with 90% second hand parts and if you search a lot, you will find that its the best value for money option. Just check what you are getting before installing it.
Old 12 August 2010, 07:21 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another recommendation for the Vf 35. I had one on my old classic, great turbo.
Old 12 August 2010, 08:12 PM
Toomanycars
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrathchild_78
yes it does.

I have build my car up the last 2 years with 90% second hand parts and if you search a lot, you will find that its the best value for money option. Just check what you are getting before installing it.
I know it can make sense financially,but i'm just one of those people that know nothing about the mechanics of a car,so wouldn't know if i was buying a VF35 or a microwave from the many unscrupulous people out there!!

I suppose i have trust issues,so saving £250 soon becomes irrelevent if it ends up costing me £2500 for an engine rebuild .
Old 12 August 2010, 08:52 PM
wrathchild_78
Scooby Regular

fair enough!
Old 12 August 2010, 08:57 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your dubious about getting ripped off,arrange to meet the guy and collect with cash(thats what i did).It also depends on what sort of power you want to get out of your car.Most people always reccommend a vf35, but if you search around a good vf23/28 turbo can cost you half of a vf35 and are good for 310 - 330 bhp.
This vf28 cost me £150,and had covered 42k,so look around, then post on the site for advice like you have done earlier