have all impreza's got alarms

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2010, 10:05 PM
the polisher
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have all impreza's got alarms

hi all.
ive just got a 1998 2ltr sport and i dont know if it has a alarm.i dont have a key fob just the black key.
is there a way to see if it has a standard alarm fitted.where would it be located.
thanks
Old 12 August 2010, 01:59 AM
gee182
Scooby Regular

i have the classic 94 and that never had an alarm.
and to check if you have an alarm fitted or not easiest way of checking is can you see a siren in the engine bay?
or check for the alarm unit itself these are most likely located under the driver side dash?
if you cant see any of these you probley dont have one
Old 12 August 2010, 09:16 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for UK turbos i think the Thatcham CAT 1 alarm/imobiliser was only factory fitted as standard from 1998(version 5 cars) - i think?.
As for Jap imports, they all enter the country without any security as there is little if any car crime in Japan.

So therefore you 98 may not have one fitted if previous owners did not get an after market installed.
Old 12 August 2010, 10:58 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by apac
As for UK turbos i think the Thatcham CAT 1 alarm/imobiliser was only factory fitted as standard from 1998(version 5 cars) - i think?.
As for Jap imports, they all enter the country without any security as there is little if any car crime in Japan.

So therefore you 98 may not have one fitted if previous owners did not get an after market installed.
spot on
Old 12 August 2010, 11:00 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

I was wondering this aswell, just came to the conclusion that no-one steals cars in japan, lucky them !
Old 12 August 2010, 12:57 PM
the polisher
Scooby Newbie

thanks all, it looks like i dont dave one fitted.

its got a imobiliser fitted as its got a picture of a key on the dash and a red flashing light and the key has a chip in it.

this is my first scooby,will upload some pictures later

thanks
Old 13 August 2010, 06:34 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apac

Originally Posted by stonejedi
spot on
Not quite spot on. Minor clarification, for the pedants out there:

The Sigma category 1 alarm is not quite "factory fit". They were/are added to the cars after their arrival in the UK, not during manufacture in Japan. The part of the security system on these cars that is factory fit is the category 2-rated immobiliser system that uses the coded transponder in the keys (sounds like this is all you have Polisher). And, as above, the JDM cars don't even have those.

Trending Topics

Old 13 August 2010, 06:50 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Not quite spot on. Minor clarification, for the pedants out there:

The Sigma category 1 alarm is not quite "factory fit". They were/are added to the cars after their arrival in the UK, not during manufacture in Japan. .
bluming 'ell mate.

it's a pity they don't add on all the JDM extras when they come into this country. The Japs get the better cars.

I was talking recently to someone who worked for Honda. He said that the JDM and UK versions of the Type-R etc were built in the same plants over here. So in other words the JDM's get exported to Japan and are higher spec than the UK cars which remain here. Then people get the JDM's re-imported as they are better than the UK cars. WTF?