Notices

green filter idiot's guide

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2010, 10:36 AM
wagon76
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default green filter idiot's guide

hello all, just thought i'd post a quick review of cleaning my green filter - sorry if it's basic stuff. hope someone finds it useful.
i bought the small/medium cleaning kit for about £11 from the main distributor of the green filters.
removing the filter from the box is easy. the cleaning instructions are pretty clear, but i would add that i used half the cleaning solution and maybe 1/4 of the spray oil.
i would advocate careful use of some small tweezers to remove twiggy bits from the bottom of the filter grooves. rinsing will not get these out. just be careful not to damage the gauze.
instructions on how much oil to apply are a bit vague. you don't want the thing dripping with the stuff, so i applied it in mist coats, each time noting how much it glistened and if it didn't appear saturated when dry giving it another light spray.
i have big hands, and refitting the filter is always a bit of a fiddle for me. in particular i struggle with re-engaging the bottom tabs on the box lid, particularly as the thick rubber edging of the green filter stops you sliding them in as you can more easily with the OE item.

anyway - for all you novices out there (like me) i just wanted to let you know it's an easy job, and the cleaning kit will do two cleans, so depending on mileage you could be looking at a year or two's motoring for filter cost plus £11 or so.

thanks