Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2010, 04:16 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 Simtek and remap

Finally got my MY99 UK Turbo Remapped today with a simtek ecu by Andy Forrest
Estimated around 330 - 340 i was making
The car is now everything i wanted it to be, the original clutch is slipping when pulling hard in 5th Gear so time for a New one

FMIC Hybrid from Harvey
Uprated Fuel pump
Uprated plugs 7's
Full decat prodrive backbox
VF29 Turbo
K+N
Simtek ECU Mafless
3 Port Boost solenoid

Just one Question, the original ecu always allowed about 2 seconds of cranking before firing now the simtek Fires up instant, does the original one do this to allow oil pressure to build before firing
Old 05 October 2010, 05:10 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

throw in a type r v5 box. will feel even quicker
Old 05 October 2010, 06:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably the fact you replaced a few tired parts that its now firing quicker.

Tony
Old 05 October 2010, 07:31 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by just123
Just one Question, the original ecu always allowed about 2 seconds of cranking before firing now the simtek Fires up instant, does the original one do this to allow oil pressure to build before firing
The OE ECU does have a delay built into it between acquisition of rotation/timing and spark switch-on, yes. If you know how you can alter it so the engine will turn over longer on the starter before firing.

You would have to ask someone at Subaru in Japan whether this was intended for oil flow/pressure, or some other purpose, but in practice that is what it will do.

I would imagine that somewhere in the Simtek there's a similar parameter. Might be worth asking Andy if it is mapper-adjustable, or something that can be changed in firmware, if you're concerned. I'd have thought it'd be something that Simtek have researched (either directly or via their mapper network) and found to be okay though. Do you have a separate oil cooler, or the OE modine/filter location btw?

Edited to add:
Originally Posted by seddomyster
throw in a type r v5 box. will feel even quicker
Might feel quicker, probably won't be in practice. UK engine with milder cams and overbucket shims doesn't rev as well as an STi engine. UK gearbox/ratios probably better suited to Just's setup, especially on the road. DCCD would alter the handling balance of course.

Last edited by Splitpin; 05 October 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05 October 2010, 11:21 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply splitpin

No i dont have a seperate oil cooler yet

Originally Posted by Splitpin
The OE ECU does have a delay built into it between acquisition of rotation/timing and spark switch-on, yes. If you know how you can alter it so the engine will turn over longer on the starter before firing.

You would have to ask someone at Subaru in Japan whether this was intended for oil flow/pressure, or some other purpose, but in practice that is what it will do.

I would imagine that somewhere in the Simtek there's a similar parameter. Might be worth asking Andy if it is mapper-adjustable, or something that can be changed in firmware, if you're concerned. I'd have thought it'd be something that Simtek have researched (either directly or via their mapper network) and found to be okay though. Do you have a separate oil cooler, or the OE modine/filter location btw?

Edited to add:

Might feel quicker, probably won't be in practice. UK engine with milder cams and overbucket shims doesn't rev as well as an STi engine. UK gearbox/ratios probably better suited to Just's setup, especially on the road. DCCD would alter the handling balance of course.