Notices

Shakin steven's front end!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2010, 07:46 PM
Skeg Vegas v1 STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shakin steven's front end!!

Hi guys, I have a 1994 version 1 sti with a very bad wobble on the front end. Basically at any speed above 40 the car is shakin badly. I'm pretty sure its the passenger wheel thats the problem as the brake is catchin and superheatin the pad and theres black dust appearin all over the wheel and u can literally feel the heat comin from the whole wheel area. Im not sure if this is the cause of the shakin or if this is as a result of the wheel shakin.

I changed the wheel bearin and this has improved things very slightly. I recently had new droplinks and the front end tracked. All the bushes except the top mount rubbers are in mint condition. The top-mounts are slightly perished. I was told the cv joint was a possibility but there is no tell-tale clickin in full lock. Ive checked to see if there are any wheel weights missing but there doesn't appear to be.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have a basic mechanical knowledge and always try to work on the car myself but this ones got me stuck and I dont know what to try replacin next!
Old 05 October 2010, 07:50 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Well the brakes are obviously the first thing to sort. If the disc has got hot enough then that could be worpped as indeed it could be as simple as an out of shape tyre or wheel. Try as a test putting that wheel on the back and see how it feels if the wobble moves youve solved the problem. Its the wheel/tyre combo
Old 05 October 2010, 09:39 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Check your strut aswell...
Old 06 October 2010, 01:32 PM
nickos77
Scooby Regular

I would also check the shape of the wheel, make sure it's not square! I had this with one of mine, to look at it was fine but once off the car I could see the inside and it had a massive flat spot.