Notices

Dump valve replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2010, 07:50 PM
jaseman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dump valve replacement?

Hi guys, i have a 2001 WRX and want to change from a standard to an aftermarket replacement ie a Bailey or Forge dump valve. The question i have is, for a novice DIY mechanic is it an easy straight forward job to do?
any help appreciated
Old 05 October 2010, 08:02 PM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

Yes mate, replace in same place then the small end of the dumpvalve (suction end) is connect to inlet manifold AFTER the throttle. But if car has a MAF sensor it will disrupt it.
Old 05 October 2010, 08:12 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why change at all if your car is running fine at the momment with no issues . If it is because you want the noise ,then at least opt for a half decent valve,which means forget the baileys,forge is better imho. As stated above, fitting any bov will cause your ecu to slightly over fuel to compensate for the air that isn't there(vta),so you may get pops and bangs in your exhaust depending if it is decatted or not.
Old 05 October 2010, 09:05 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i had a turbosmart on my x plate wagon years ago and it ran fine so put the same one on my blobeye car didnt like it ran rough so off it came standard back on car runs fine gain
Old 05 October 2010, 09:07 PM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
i had a turbosmart on my x plate wagon years ago and it ran fine so put the same one on my blobeye car didnt like it ran rough so off it came standard back on car runs fine gain
Yes this is due to the maf telling the ecu that there is air there when in fact the d.v has relased it. Thus running rich.
Old 05 October 2010, 09:21 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

yes thats what i got told on here so i took it off no problems now so i would just leave the standard one on
Old 05 October 2010, 09:36 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Keep the standard recirc. Why do you want to put a chav whistle on your scoob.. MADNESS.
Old 05 October 2010, 09:45 PM
P1#1015
Scooby Regular

Would have to be a Forge unit. Superb build quality and (if set up with the correct spring and/or shims) should be fine for the car. Got a v5 Forge VTA on mine, did dabble with an SSQV (would only put a mk1 on as the newer ones have shoddy internals by contrast) but took it off again as the car ran soooo much smoother with the Forge on. Plus with the Forge it is almost silent up until about 3k rpm so you don't feel like Captain Nobber pootling around town at 20mph with it venting.......
Old 07 October 2010, 09:19 PM
nickscooby
Scooby Regular

ive got a blitz on my classic, i dont get any over fueling (my mapper said that the air/fuel ratio was spot on before he even touched it and i can get 30mpg out of her), i had the recirc on for a little while a few months ago and my car felt laggier.
Old 07 October 2010, 11:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nickscooby
ive got a blitz on my classic, i dont get any over fueling (my mapper said that the air/fuel ratio was spot on before he even touched it and i can get 30mpg out of her), i had the recirc on for a little while a few months ago and my car felt laggier.
Well, well, who'd ha' thought it?
Old 08 October 2010, 09:08 AM
REVOLUTION
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jaseman
Hi guys, i have a 2001 WRX and want to change from a standard to an aftermarket replacement ie a Bailey or Forge dump valve. The question i have is, for a novice DIY mechanic is it an easy straight forward job to do?
any help appreciated
Hi

As mentioned above, it is a very simple job to do on the 2001 WRX. We carry the Forge VTA valves in stock. Give me a call and I will do you a good deal on one.

Thanks

Keith@Revolution
0191 4619200
Old 08 October 2010, 12:22 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickscooby
I have recently just sold a blitz bov and yes they are better than a std dump valve as they can be adjusted to your own car,but like all bov's that are fitted to a maf based car they will cause overfuelling unless mapped for it. Mine use to pop and bang with mine on,but the recirc is what the car was designed with,and will operate better than a bov unless it is leaking/broken.When you lift off the gas with a recirc the excess air is fed back into the inlet, helping to keep the turbo pressurised.With the bov the air that your maf has already calculated for is vented to the atmosphere so the ecu has to account for this as there is less air entering the compressor,and sends more fuel.If your car felt laggier it may be because your recirc is broken, but after owning a baileys ,a forge ,a turbosmart,a gfb,and a blitz bov, i can honestly say that there is no performance advantage to be had by fitting one - only slight overfuelling and a noise imho.