Notices

Smell of coolant and steam in car

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2010, 10:39 PM
paul_f(classic)
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell of coolant and steam in car

Hi, can anyone help? I was driving along today when all of a sudden steam started pouring out of the air vents with a strong smell of antifreeze. I've checked my coolant and all is fine (No coolant loss). No wet carpets as my first thought was the heater matrix leaking, but the heater blows Hot air with no problems.

After playing with the controlls i've noticed it only steams when the fans off in hot position. Put the fan on it's ok Put it in cold again all ok could it be aircon need topping up or something more sinister?

My car is a MY96 Impreza WRX Import with aircon.

Cheers
Old 05 October 2010, 10:42 PM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

Leaking pipe work IN the heaters.. your hot water pipes run into there to make your hot air work. Only when on hot though. The steam is very odd, but dont drive it until fised as you will overheat the system as there is a leak and its no longer pressurized.

Try squeezing the top rad hose while somebody inside the car trys to listen for the leak.
Old 05 October 2010, 10:52 PM
paul_f(classic)
Scooby Newbie

I've checked for leaks found nothing, When i removed the header cap to check coolant it sounded pressurised and its not used any coolant from week to week.

Been driving all day and temp gauge never moved from its normal spot fans working as normal and i would have thought the carpets would be wet or slightly damp even checked under the carpet

Thanks for the reply
Old 05 October 2010, 10:58 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

happened on mine about a month after i bought it same thing heater on cold no steam , thats because the heater matrix is not getting hot water , and takes air in from under the bonnet. bad news its almost defo the heater matrix , well it was on mine anyhows. the steam came up and misted the windscreen in seconds , hope this helps , oh and yes its a dash out job
Old 05 October 2010, 11:04 PM
paul_f(classic)
Scooby Newbie

Yeah that's what happend to me, steamed up windscreen instantly. Can it still be driven as it's booked in for a new exhaust and brakes tomorrow.

Cheers for the quick responses
Old 05 October 2010, 11:11 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had no choice had to get home and was 20miles away however i bought antifreeze and mixed it in a 5ltr placci container kept eye on gauge and refilled via the overflow on passenger side got me home but it was a bitch as it was pissing with rain and i had me head out the bloody window as i couldnt see through the windscreen . the water will be in the car it just runs down inside the gearbox tunnel . if it where me i wouldnt drive it as it can only get worse, but as i said its a dash out job , i bought mine from grade a subaru , they sent me the whole heater unit complete
Old 05 October 2010, 11:27 PM
paul_f(classic)
Scooby Newbie

Is it possible to bypass the matrix by disconnecting the pipes from the engine bay and joining them up? i know its abit old school ford type fix it job but i don't realy have much choice as the exhaust scrapes the floor when i hit a bump or speed hump if i have anyone in back including the kids and the brake disks and pads are well past their best

Just my luck 3 problems in 1 week

Last edited by paul_f(classic); 05 October 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2010, 12:13 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you can by pass the heater matrix

Simon