Notices

GC8 Electrical smell and smoke? :(

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2010, 12:08 PM
Coburn
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GC8 Electrical smell and smoke? :(

Hi there, finally got my impreza back on the road, took it for a spin and had this odd electrical smell, almost like soldering?

That was saturday, i next drove it yesterday, warmed it up nicely and took it for a spin up and down the bypass near me to see how the new clutch felt at higher speeds.

when i got home, to my absolute horror there was greyish smoke pouring out from the driver's side of my bonnet. I lifted it to investigate and it appears to be coming from the Up-pipe (if i am correct?) well, beneath the black meshed intakey thing that sits above it.

Took it out again today, and same thing, on short drives now it isn't really noticable, but still aparrent, although less so today.

I've noticed my blowers won't put out any hot air lately also so was hoping it would maybe be a motor? Checked oil, water etc and everything is good, so fingers crossed.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, biting my nails in anticipation now!!
Old 06 October 2010, 09:55 PM
Turbo Tez
Scooby Regular

You say you have new clutch, first thing I would check is if any wires or pipes have not been properly secured and are left touching the up pipe/headers, down pipe/cat. Both your lambda sensor wires run very close to the exhaust parts.
Old 07 October 2010, 03:02 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo Tez
You say you have new clutch, first thing I would check is if any wires or pipes have not been properly secured and are left touching the up pipe/headers, down pipe/cat. Both your lambda sensor wires run very close to the exhaust parts.

ditto