Notices

Timing belt (read; searched; still asking)

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2010, 05:40 AM
dlrecord70
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt (read; searched; still asking)

Hi all:

I'm new here. I have a 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.2L N/A Phase two engine (US only so I understand).

I have read as many posts about timing belt changes as possible and have followed Meaty's step by step tutorial. I believe I have everything right but wanted to check my specific situation before pulling the tensioner pin:

When facing the engine, the right side cam gear spun clockwise after releasing tension on the old belt. I believe this is normal. I rotated that cam gear counterclockwise to align the mark on the gear with the notch in the plastic cover. However, I have a white mark, which lines up almost perfectly with the new belt line and the plastic cover notch; however, beside it is a mark (dash) colored pink that sits slightly to the right.

My question is, should I be aligning the white mark on the new belt with the white line that aligns perfectly with the notch in the timing cover, or with the mark (dash) colored pink? Everything I read says dash/mark... I've tried to move the cam gear slightly more counterclockwise to align the pink dash, but it spins out of compression and won't stay aligned as the white mark does.

I'm sure yo guys are overlysick of newbies asking similar questions, but specific feedback for my situation is peace of mind I am willing to take some abuse for. Any help is appreciated to put my mind at ease before I pull the tensioner pin and button it up. Many thanks in advance.
Old 07 October 2010, 07:37 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I presume that photo was taken without the tensioner released, it looks normal to me, forget the mark to the right, your alignment is ok.
Old 07 October 2010, 02:27 PM
dlrecord70
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct, no tensioner in this photo. Also, the white lines on the new belt align exactly with the other dashes on the crank gear and the left cam gear. It seems correct to me too but wanted to get some feedback in case it wasn't.

Thanks.