Notices

bloody car

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2011, 12:24 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bloody car

was driving the scoob enthusiasticaly earlier it was boosting at 0.7 bar and then it felt like it hit the rev limiter (it didn't) power dropped for a second and it went back to running ok it feels like something is holding it back when i floor it any idea's
Old 30 January 2011, 12:31 AM
Tee-
Scooby Regular

Fuel surge
Old 30 January 2011, 12:34 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

what does that mean look into it or its all good?
Old 30 January 2011, 12:47 AM
Billet
Scooby Regular

where you low on fuel at the time, if you were then fuel surge happens. fuel surge is when when you are low on fuel and it is swishing around in the tank and not reaching the fuel pump, therefore the cars stutters.
Old 30 January 2011, 12:49 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tazz
where you low on fuel at the time, if you were then fuel surge happens. fuel surge is when when you are low on fuel and it is swishing around in the tank and not reaching the fuel pump, therefore the cars stutters.
hhmmmmm i was lowish i suppose under a 1/4 just about nice one bro thanks
Old 30 January 2011, 01:32 AM
Loco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greenfumb
was driving the scoob enthusiasticaly earlier it was boosting at 0.7 bar and then it felt like it hit the rev limiter (it didn't) power dropped for a second and it went back to running ok it feels like something is holding it back when i floor it any idea's
mine is doing this all the time at the mo. off to scoobyworks monday to be diagnosed. will report findings back here, in case your problem continues or gets worse
Old 30 January 2011, 12:26 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Loco
mine is doing this all the time at the mo. off to scoobyworks monday to be diagnosed. will report findings back here, in case your problem continues or gets worse
Top man that would be great to here nice 1
Old 30 January 2011, 12:46 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the coil packs for spilts under the rubber boots.
did you get a pop or a bang when it dropped power?
the increased boost from the z4 ecu has highlighted a duff coil pack.
Old 30 January 2011, 12:55 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
check the coil packs for spilts under the rubber boots.
did you get a pop or a bang when it dropped power?
the increased boost from the z4 ecu has highlighted a duff coil pack.
i will check them out,there was no pop or bang just felt like i hit the rev limiter only doing 4-5000 rpm.i got a pop/bang amonth or so ago but i think it overboosted then for some strange reason,cheers pal
Old 31 January 2011, 05:24 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Loco
Originally Posted by greenfumb
Top man that would be great to here nice 1
So, visited scoobyworld today. great guys there. got my car up on the Dyno to get the power runs done, but also plugged in the diagnostics to check it at the same time. first good thing, she is hitting 298bhp before getting the stuttering problem around 5500rpm, so hopefully with a bit more to go, she will get close to 315bhp quoted

after looking at the diagnostics, they found that the neutral position switch was cutting in between 5500-6000, so this is most likely the cause of the problem (+1 to TonyBurns, for correctly diagnosing this in my other post )

Unfortunately, they didnt have the part in stock, but car is going back friday to have new switch fitted. now, they say they SUSPECT that is the problem, but i think it would be too much of a coincidence for it not to be the neutral position switch. The best bit is, the guys there said they would re-dyno the car with the new switch fitted, free of charge.

Obviously, don't want to be pre-emptive as car defo isnt sorted yet, but by the sounds of it, it will be, and therefore, a massive thanks to scoobyworks. Top guys to chat to, and diagnosed problems in about 30mins.

Biggest learning point - I will not be taking the car to main dealer EVER again. they took £80 of my cash to run a diagnostic that came back saying nothing was wrong. great. wish i hadn't bothered in the first place!!
Old 01 February 2011, 09:14 AM
Demon Jinx
Scooby Regular

Keep us posted bro would like to know whats happening with your car.
Old 01 February 2011, 02:23 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

nice one loco i have ran fault codes on mine via black plugs under dash found some faults reset ecu and fingers crossed not done it anymore cheers for the info guys good luck for friday loco
Old 05 February 2011, 04:42 AM
Loco
Scooby Regular

WR1 update ---

SHE IS ALL FIXED!! Happy Days!!

So, I went to scoobyworks to have my neutral position switch replaced. Switch was changed, and the diagnostic showed the switch wasn't tripping in anymore. HOWEVER, when they took it out on the road, it was still stuttering like before

So they thought it could have been the MAF sensor. swapped mine for a different one, took it out, still stuttering...

Then, they ran through a couple of other things that could have been wrong:

- they had a look at the plugs, and while taking them out, they found out they were done up, but not particularly tight.
- It had a Sh*te unipart air filter, so I had a K+N panel fitted.
- The recirc valve could have been leaking, so they replaced that

They took it out on the road, and when they got back, the fault was cured!! So not exactly sure what was wrong, but I was just so dead happy it was fixed!!

So it could have been the rubbish filter, the recirc valve leaking, or (very possibly) where the plugs were not done up proper tight, and under full throttle at max power air was leaking around the plug threads and in to the cylinder. That would also explain why it was running a bit lean before, and now it is absolutely spot on again.

But the bottom line is, Scoobyworks sorted it out for me, and I am dead chuffed!! The guys there did a great job. I came back from the test drive with a massive smile on my face!! Smiling now as I write this post!! A Huge thanks to the guys at Scoobyworld, and I would recommend anyone us them.

Had the car dyno'd when it was fixed too, and she made 297bhp. completely happy with this, considering she has done 57k.

Driving home was like having a new car again!! reset the the shift light at 6500rpm, and now I am just enjoying driving her the way she is supposed to be!!

Last edited by Loco; 05 February 2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05 February 2011, 05:27 PM
Scoobyworld
Sponsor

Location: Full Workshop facilities - EcuTek Remapping - Huge Range of Performance Parts

Glad the drive home was better than the drive to us!

I think that Unipart filter and the loose plug combined to ruin the cars performance, glad its all fixed for you now

thanks for coming down, was good to meet you

cheers

Neil