Notices

6 speed oil

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2011, 06:50 PM
si2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed oil

Which oil should i use in a 6 speed non dccd box, wont be tracking it but may get a little abuse at times, will be running around the 500bhp mark.

Dont want the syncros getting knotchy either!

Any help or advice appreciated
Old 14 February 2011, 07:09 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go for the Motul Gear 300 or Millers CRX

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90.aspx

Cheers

Tim
Old 14 February 2011, 10:05 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Castrol Syntrax Universal, from above .best oil for 6 speed syncros,believe you need 4.2litres.
Old 14 February 2011, 10:17 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

I'm replacing mine with the following.

Gearbox and diffs.
Fuchs Titan Race SYN 5 75w-90
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68901-fu...-5-75w-90.aspx

Steve
Old 14 February 2011, 10:37 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
I'm replacing mine with the following.

Gearbox and diffs.
Fuchs Titan Race SYN 5 75w-90
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68901-fu...-5-75w-90.aspx

Steve
too slippery for the syncros trust me i killed mine 2 year ago 1k later to fix.

use castrol syntrax in 6 speed its perfect for it trust me
Old 15 February 2011, 10:08 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Syn 5 is a weird one, it's absolutely ideal for a lot of cars, but rubbish in others. I tend not to recommend it for gearboxes as the results are a bit random. If a car is using it and it's fine, it's a good one to stick with as it's a very good oil (much better quality than the Syntrax and other semi-synthetics).

Cheers

Tim
Old 15 February 2011, 06:46 PM
si2000
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replys guys!

A bit confused on what to use now as there is so many different opinions
Old 15 February 2011, 07:04 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oilman
Syn 5 is a weird one, it's absolutely ideal for a lot of cars, but rubbish in others. I tend not to recommend it for gearboxes as the results are a bit random. If a car is using it and it's fine, it's a good one to stick with as it's a very good oil (much better quality than the Syntrax and other semi-synthetics).

Cheers

Tim
Tim,

I have just purchased a shed load of this stuff to replace my current Gearbox and Diff Oil as recommended when I rang you guys a little while ago.

So what do I do with this 8 litrs or more of Syn 5?

Steve
Old 15 February 2011, 08:30 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Put it in and see how you get on, if its not working out and you will know pretty quick I will replce it with something else for you. Or alternatively we can swap it for something straight away.

Cheers

Guy
Old 15 February 2011, 11:16 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Cheers

Tim
from past experience i would not use anythin other than semi-synthetic in a 6 speed, crunch that syncro on 5th a few times and it wont last long so in my strong opinion it could be an expensive "test to see how you get on" if all goes wrong .would you put up 1k in cost if it did go wrong?i think not ...

not wanting to cause argument as you know alot more about oil specs than i will ever be interested in and been using you for 5 years with great service just wishing to pass on my experience .

the 6 speed just seems too picky to fully syn oils for my liking.

my old sti which believe is still running castrol in @502bhp with no issues for 40k.

before rebuild mine
crunched in 5th
tried redline made worse
left it left it till got worse
new syncros/sleeves/5/6 gear kit etc etc and and 1k bill.

castrol syntrax great cold start gear change/gearbox more than happy to use it and any power you will run in a road car. halfords or opie oils to buy it.
Old 16 February 2011, 08:32 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Put it in and see how you get on, if its not working out and you will know pretty quick I will replce it with something else for you. Or alternatively we can swap it for something straight away.

Cheers

Guy
Cheers Guy.

Will be in contact and see what alternative I need.

Cheers
Steve
Old 16 February 2011, 08:33 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
from past experience i would not use anythin other than semi-synthetic in a 6 speed, crunch that syncro on 5th a few times and it wont last long so in my strong opinion it could be an expensive "test to see how you get on" if all goes wrong .would you put up 1k in cost if it did go wrong?i think not ...

not wanting to cause argument as you know alot more about oil specs than i will ever be interested in and been using you for 5 years with great service just wishing to pass on my experience .

the 6 speed just seems too picky to fully syn oils for my liking.

my old sti which believe is still running castrol in @502bhp with no issues for 40k.

before rebuild mine
crunched in 5th
tried redline made worse
left it left it till got worse
new syncros/sleeves/5/6 gear kit etc etc and and 1k bill.

castrol syntrax great cold start gear change/gearbox more than happy to use it and any power you will run in a road car. halfords or opie oils to buy it.

Cheers for the input matey.

Are we talking not good for just gearbox or diffs also?

Was going to look at Millers or Redline after finding this out yesterday.

Steve
Old 16 February 2011, 08:58 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Cheers

Tim
Strange that as you have sold me 5 litres of that and recommended it for a six speed bugeye via another forum
Old 16 February 2011, 10:13 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Did I recommend it or did Guy? And when was it? I've stopped recommending it for gearboxes, but I used to spec it for some cars. In fact, really it should be fine for an Impreza as they need a GL5 oil and the problems with the Syn 5 come from cars that need a GL4 and don't get on with a GL5.

Cheers

Tim
Old 16 February 2011, 10:21 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Whoever looks after Subaru-impreza, says Simon on old posts and Guy on others, Tim on others.

Last edited by JDM_Stig; 16 February 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 16 February 2011, 11:49 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Okay, well all I can say is that it should be right, I personally tend not to recommend it any more for gearboxes as there have been some problems when it's used in certain ones. 9 out of 10 times it's fine, but I recommend something else on the basis that I would rather suggest something that is right 99 out of 100 times. If someone asks for it, I'll sell it to them. I may say it wouldn't be my choice if they ask what I'd suggest for the car, but like I said, it's fine the vast majority of the time.
Old 16 February 2011, 05:45 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

OK, this is getting messy.

Opie (Guys/Tim) can you confirm if it is just an issue with 6 Speed (2001 -2002) Bugeyes that have an issue with such fluids? Do you all go by the same chart or from personal recommendations? Not a pop just asking.

I really rate Fuch's/Silkolene Pro S engine oil and that's why I went for the Race SYN 5 75w-90 fluids after speaking to one of you on the phone.

Not sure how much SYN 5 I purchased from you to be honest? Here is my order that will show the amount I purchased.

Order: 163122

First time I have come across such an issue as I have never had any issues what so ever in the past through ordering with Opie so anyone reading this don't be put off.

Guy/Tim, What fluid for Gearbox & Diff would you suggest on 2002 6 Speed running 450+bhp.
Everyday use
track days
sprints/drag

Cheers
Steve
Old 16 February 2011, 08:50 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Hi Steve

Syn 5 is an absolute top quality oil, but that is the reason it can cause problems, basically it's so slippery that sometimes the synchros don't slow enough and the gearchanges get a bit crunchy at high revs. In the vast majority of cars it will cause no problems at all, but if the synchros are worn, it can be a problem. It tends to only occur in cars that need a GL4 oil (Evos, Skylines, a lot of jap stuff basically), but in cars that need a GL5 (as modern Subarus do) it tends not to be a problem. If your car isn't crunching when changing at high revs, there's nothing to worry about at all, the Syn 5 will be giving it some very good protection, it's as good a gear oil as there is on the market.

The reason I don't recommend it for a lot of gearboxes is that I don't want to cause anyone any problems. Sods law if I do recommend it one day, that will be the one in a hundred cars that doesn't get on with it. If you're using it and it's fine, stick with it, compared to the other top end options, it's good value. I'll still always give it as an option for diffs as it's perfect for most and we don't get problems with that.

The first time it came to our attention that it doesn't always work ideally was with Evos, a couple of people on the MLR forum mentioned that it wasn't working well for them, but some of our biggest customers are Evo tuners that swear by the stuff and buy hundreds of litres a year. It's not an issue with some models of car, different cars, certain gearboxes, it's a rare, random occurance to do with worn synchros.

With Maydews car, it seems to be the gearbox was on the way out. If it didn't like Syn 5, didn't like Redline (I guess Lightweight Shockproof or 75w-90 NS), I would think there was a problem that oil couldn't fix. Although some oils are great at fixing problems, Redline often being very good at doing so, sometimes there is nothing an oil can do, no matter what it is.

If the car doesn't get on with the Syn 5, go for something like the Motul Gear 300, Redline 75w-90NS, Millers CRX NT or the old favourite, Castrol Syntrax. The first three of those are as good an oil as the Syn 5, but cost more than the Syn 5. The Syntrax is a good semi-synthetic oil, but is not close to the Syn 5 in terms of quality.

You had 5L in your order, enough for the gearbox and diff, plus a top up or spilling some on the floor. I'd suggest trying the Syn 5, if it starts crunching, let us know and we'll send something else. If you don't want to try it, return it to us and we'll swap it for something else.

Cheers

Tim
Old 16 February 2011, 11:16 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

my issue all started at 25kmiles all was fine went for full 30k service at main dealer for all oils to be changed, fully syn box oil was used within a short time crunch crunch at the time was pretty uncommon and david at api said they where starting to get more and more.

despite what specs are recommended on paper early subaru 6 speed boxes dont like fully syn gearbox oil ,as said above the oil is top quality but thats the issue its to slippery.

using a good semi syn like castrol (as recommended by gearbox builders on here) allows the syncro to do its job.

plus side to using this oil is gear changes feel great hot or in freezing conditions.

been on here since 2006 and this comes up so much lost count.

diff oils just use 1l of your choice as no issues .
Old 17 February 2011, 06:19 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve

Syn 5 is an absolute top quality oil, but that is the reason it can cause problems, basically it's so slippery that sometimes the synchros don't slow enough and the gearchanges get a bit crunchy at high revs. In the vast majority of cars it will cause no problems at all, but if the synchros are worn, it can be a problem. It tends to only occur in cars that need a GL4 oil (Evos, Skylines, a lot of jap stuff basically), but in cars that need a GL5 (as modern Subarus do) it tends not to be a problem. If your car isn't crunching when changing at high revs, there's nothing to worry about at all, the Syn 5 will be giving it some very good protection, it's as good a gear oil as there is on the market.

The reason I don't recommend it for a lot of gearboxes is that I don't want to cause anyone any problems. Sods law if I do recommend it one day, that will be the one in a hundred cars that doesn't get on with it. If you're using it and it's fine, stick with it, compared to the other top end options, it's good value. I'll still always give it as an option for diffs as it's perfect for most and we don't get problems with that.

The first time it came to our attention that it doesn't always work ideally was with Evos, a couple of people on the MLR forum mentioned that it wasn't working well for them, but some of our biggest customers are Evo tuners that swear by the stuff and buy hundreds of litres a year. It's not an issue with some models of car, different cars, certain gearboxes, it's a rare, random occurance to do with worn synchros.

With Maydews car, it seems to be the gearbox was on the way out. If it didn't like Syn 5, didn't like Redline (I guess Lightweight Shockproof or 75w-90 NS), I would think there was a problem that oil couldn't fix. Although some oils are great at fixing problems, Redline often being very good at doing so, sometimes there is nothing an oil can do, no matter what it is.

If the car doesn't get on with the Syn 5, go for something like the Motul Gear 300, Redline 75w-90NS, Millers CRX NT or the old favourite, Castrol Syntrax. The first three of those are as good an oil as the Syn 5, but cost more than the Syn 5. The Syntrax is a good semi-synthetic oil, but is not close to the Syn 5 in terms of quality.

You had 5L in your order, enough for the gearbox and diff, plus a top up or spilling some on the floor. I'd suggest trying the Syn 5, if it starts crunching, let us know and we'll send something else. If you don't want to try it, return it to us and we'll swap it for something else.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

I think it's best I give you a call to be honest rahter than chatting on an open forum.

Are you in on Saturday or would you rather I put something in writing?

I purchased 7 ltrs , just looked at my order on email.
My box is good as gold. I've only ever had one time where it struggles to get in gear and with no crunching etc. So all I want to know is......
What is THE BEST GEARBOX AND DIFF OIL TO USE on a 6 Speed.

Will the TITAN GEAR SYN 75W-90 Semi Synthetic Driveline Oil be OK for my Focus as well?

Steve
Old 18 February 2011, 01:19 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I used to have Silkolene in mine but always felt notchy and sometimes annoyingly so. Anyway, decided to change to Castrol Syntrax and that was the best move for me. Felt better and took that notchiness away. Feels great when it has been changed too! LOL
Almost gets me wanting to change it more regular.
Old 18 February 2011, 09:00 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Tim,

I think it's best I give you a call to be honest rahter than chatting on an open forum.

Are you in on Saturday or would you rather I put something in writing?

I purchased 7 ltrs , just looked at my order on email.
My box is good as gold. I've only ever had one time where it struggles to get in gear and with no crunching etc. So all I want to know is......
What is THE BEST GEARBOX AND DIFF OIL TO USE on a 6 Speed.

Will the TITAN GEAR SYN 75W-90 Semi Synthetic Driveline Oil be OK for my Focus as well?

Steve
Hi Steve

Either go for the Motul Gear 300, Redline 75w-90NS or Millers CRX in the gearbox and the Syn 5 in the diff.

You're probably right, a call or email would be better, but I'm not here at weekends, so you can email me on sales@opieoils.co.uk, I keep an eye on the emails over the weekend.

Some Focuses do use a 75w-90, but can you let me know the details in your email?

Cheers

Tim