Notices

noob turbo question.

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2011, 05:26 PM
tattooRick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob turbo question.

ive had alook through the search bar before posting this, ive read up on the different turbo's and from what i gather fmic is better on a classic than tmic. ok. and 550 injectors and a walbro pump are good.

what i cant find is. do most types of upgrade turbos fit? ie. i take my standard turbo off and just bolt another on no hassle?

also in my youth i had a renault 5 turbo, i changed to a hybrid turbo and didnt remap. if i change anything on an impreza should i remap?

my car is a classic impreza wrx sti (if thats possible) import 1993.
current spec as far as im aware:

induction kit (k&n i think)
decat 3" system.
dump valve vta (will remove if i have to)

and the aircon has been deleted aswell.
thats it as far as im aware.

also what turbo do i already have? what do i need to look for to tell me this?

arent I a pain in the forums bum.......why is my tmic off and angled to the right and not in the centre like every other picture i look at?

Last edited by tattooRick; 15 February 2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: adding something
Old 15 February 2011, 05:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is an STI then it will be a 1994 model and should be very easy to recognise (just look for the numbered plate and under the bonnet will have lots of little STI bits).
Your turbo is going to be a TD05 16G, its big enough for 350bhp with all the supporting mods but the car is pushing 17-18 years old now and I would seriously consider a health check if you want to go for that sort of power as the standard internals are definately not the best (though people will go on about the block being closed deck and the strongest available, if its the original one and a piston hasnt decided to eject itself out the side yet )

Bin the VTA, you will need the 550cc injectors will be needed and I would look at the brakes as these are a serious failing on early cars (plus you will need either a remap or an after market ecu or you will blow your engine up! )

Tony
Old 15 February 2011, 10:12 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much exactly the same as me then... As above you will have a TD05 16g Turbo... The next turbo up from that is the TD05 18g which will see you around 400bhp+

550cc Injectors are a must, and to run these you will need a remap. You can run a piggyback ecu (ECUTec....) or run a complete new ECU (Apexi). You will have phase 1 380cc injectors as standard. you can fit phase 2 550cc injectors but you will need adapters (available from Carl Davey) or you could take the (expensive) route im taking and convert to top feed injectors, with a fpr.

Now depending where you are from, find a good local mapper and see what he would recommend (each mapper prefers their own type of ecu)