Notices

Feeling my car might have some problems.

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2011, 07:38 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeling my car might have some problems.

Hello everyone,well ive only been a subaru owner for only a few weeks,the car is a sti version 8 03 model with 25 thousand miles on the clock,when i bought the car it felt ok but as the last few weeks have passed not driving the car all the time,but when ive took it for a drive it isnt making me feel as if the car is planted to the road well,on two accasions now one accelarating coming out of a bend and tonight not even on full throttle in a straight line,the car feels like its got bad oversteer,the back of the car just seems like it wants to step straight out,now if im honest its just had its mot which it only failed on break pads which i did know about so nothing was reported on any suspension fault.
This is also the first 4wd turbo car ive had,but i have had fast cars in the past ie supercharged ep3 type r,s running over 300hp,but none of which feel nothing like my subaru does,im hoping its just because im basically not use to how the car and learning how to drive it properly,would love someone that know,s there **** about impreza,s to have a look at my car,just for piece of mind more than anything,just dont know anyone local dont fancy letting a dealer have a look incase they just say things are wrong when they arnt,if anyone wants to call me paranoid or say it could be the way im driving the car feel free to do so as im wanting some sound advice,and im hoping scoobynet is the right place to talk to some of you experts that know your impreza,s well,thanks for reading any comments welcome people.
Old 17 February 2011, 07:47 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Is that car modified at all in terms of handling? i.e upgraded rear anti roll bar etc etc .Impreza's tend to understeer more than oversteer tbh. Do you have DCCD? If so maybe you need to play around with it?
Old 17 February 2011, 08:14 PM
IainIainWRX
Scooby Regular

What type of tyres do you have and what size are they?
Old 17 February 2011, 08:21 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainIainWRX
What type of tyres do you have and what size are they?
tyre,s mate are continental on the front which have loads of tread on them,the rear ones i think are pirelli nero,s or summat like that,not 100% on tyre size but the alloys are the 18inch prodrive pp7s i do know though that the rear tyres have less tread on them than the front ones by quite a few mm.
Old 17 February 2011, 08:24 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djandyg
Is that car modified at all in terms of handling? i.e upgraded rear anti roll bar etc etc .Impreza's tend to understeer more than oversteer tbh. Do you have DCCD? If so maybe you need to play around with it?
no pal no mod,s to suspension or mods to engine,not as far as i know anyway
dccd i think came on later sti,s but i could be wrong there aswell.
Old 17 February 2011, 08:35 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car did this when i had different tyres on the rear stepping out etc. since fitting same spec tyres all round now grip is spot on and if i accelerate hard it tends to understeer but slides sideways as a whole on all 4 wheels but not the rear stepping out any more.
i have falken 452 on cheap but excellent grip in my opinion.
Old 17 February 2011, 08:43 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fordrsrickc
my car did this when i had different tyres on the rear stepping out etc. since fitting same spec tyres all round now grip is spot on and if i accelerate hard it tends to understeer but slides sideways as a whole on all 4 wheels but not the rear stepping out any more.
i have falken 452 on cheap but excellent grip in my opinion.
Im hoping mate that it could be something as daft as having different tyres front and back,something doesnt feel right though,at the minute i dont fancy putting it into a bend fast just incase something isnt rite,there,s some mega ditches where i live.
Old 17 February 2011, 10:04 PM
IainIainWRX
Scooby Regular

If the car's only done 25 k since new then it could be that the rear tyres are the originals and are 7 years old! Either way, have a look and see if you can see the age markings...

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

I wouldn't fancy driving on 7 year old tyres.