Notices

lerching (hesitation)

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2011, 02:33 AM
stringostar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lerching (hesitation)

right, gonna try and explain this best i can.. i have a my98 uk classic, running uprated fuel pump, standard injectors, vf23 turbo, hks induction, straight thru exhaust, with decat, and standard ecu (non programmable)

problem is, when driving with a steady throttle, for example steady away at 70mph is middle lane, the car feels like its lerching.. by this i feel like a nodding dog! the speed doesnt alter, and the exhaust note is the same.. its only slight, but you can feel it there... once my foot is planted, the turbo spools up and she pulls away..

does anyone know why this happens? i'm thinking its because of all the mods.. maybe its just me!

cheers
Old 27 March 2011, 03:43 AM
Billet
Scooby Regular

if you haven't mapped it for all those mods then that's probably the problem, i wouldn't put my foot down a lot if i was you, until it's mapped, you could do some damage if it is running lean etc.
Old 27 March 2011, 11:42 AM
stringostar
Scooby Regular

i bought the car like this last week. the lad who had it before did all the mods and reckoned the ecu is a learning one thus doesnt need re-mapping... plus a 1000 quid for a simtek ecu is worth more than the car! not prepared to spend that much!
Old 27 March 2011, 11:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stringostar
i bought the car like this last week. the lad who had it before did all the mods and reckoned the ecu is a learning one thus doesnt need re-mapping... plus a 1000 quid for a simtek ecu is worth more than the car! not prepared to spend that much!
Absolute bollox! and probably why he sold it, did all the shiney bolt on mods and left out the crucail remap or in this case sounds like a new/replacement mappable ECU which is going to cost.

Your current ecu cannot 'learn' the mods done as it is not programmed with them in mind.

Get it mapped before it goes BANG! I would not drive it until you have as I would be concerned about buying such a car from a moron!
Old 27 March 2011, 12:14 PM
stringostar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Absolute bollox! and probably why he sold it, did all the shiney bolt on mods and left out the crucail remap or in this case sounds like a new/replacement mappable ECU which is going to cost.

Your current ecu cannot 'learn' the mods done as it is not programmed with them in mind.

Get it mapped before it goes BANG! I would not drive it until you have as I would be concerned about buying such a car from a moron!
paul, can you recommend a low cost ecu to use.. like a said earlier, i dont wanna go spending a fortune on an ecu when the car isnt worth that much..
Old 27 March 2011, 12:19 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stringostar
paul, can you recommend a low cost ecu to use.. like a said earlier, i dont wanna go spending a fortune on an ecu when the car isnt worth that much..
No, sorry, speak to a few mappers and explain the mods the car has and what you want from it and they can advise you from there.