Notices

blown engine on new shape 08 sti

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2011, 07:28 PM
elitek
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown engine on new shape 08 sti

hey guys,i'm new on here and need to find out how big the problem was with the new engines. i.ve had mine since new,always serviced at dealership and sitting at 34k now with goosed engine.was serviced at 30 k and now ran dry outta oil. i havent been thrashing it now,but totally gutted.its been remapped to 360bhp and miltek exhaust and new air intake..dealership not interested in helping out so wondering if legal action could be taken ..i never new about the weak piston rings as per press release until now.too late
has anyone had any joy in getting subaru to repair or renew engine even though theirs have been modified?
cheers !!
Old 09 April 2011, 07:31 PM
spanner monkey
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ngine+failures
Old 09 April 2011, 07:55 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the oil between the 30k service and now (34k) ? I know modern cars shouldn't use much oil, if any, but it is a performance car. It's also been mapped, really hope you've been checking the oil.
Old 09 April 2011, 07:59 PM
elitek
Scooby Newbie

hands up..no i never checked the oil..but never would have thought too... that link spanner sent was interesting though,however my car is no longer under warranty so think i'm in bad **** finacially for the next year to pay for repairs
Old 09 April 2011, 08:01 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Oh dear

If I was in your position I'd delete your posts regarding not checking the oil. IM group have checked on here and caught people out who have admitted to not checking oil, having the car mapped etc.

Who's your local dealer?
Old 09 April 2011, 08:12 PM
elitek
Scooby Newbie

its iain grieve in falkirk, and although they new about my upgrades they were still willing to take my money for all the servicng..dunno if its me but i wasnt impressed with the aftercare since i bought the car
Old 09 April 2011, 08:19 PM
Petersti
Scooby Regular

to be fair fella all morden cars use oil and not to check the oil on a performance is just unheard of im sorry to say
Old 09 April 2011, 08:22 PM
jsfb
Scooby Regular

Broke mine twice Grieves replaced both times under warrenty, sold it back to them as IM wouldnt extend the warranty. You screwed as it tuned, it gives IM the perfect excuse not to fix it they will just blame the mapper. What colour is your hatch? Did you buy it from Grieves?
Old 09 April 2011, 08:24 PM
elitek
Scooby Newbie

yeah i cant argue about that,but always did in between other service intervals..ok maybe i'm 5% to blame,but there must have been an issue somewhere within the 30-34 k
Old 09 April 2011, 08:25 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Petersti
to be fair fella all morden cars use oil and not to check the oil on a performance is just unheard of im sorry to say

Some do, some don't, my 05 STi has never used a drop.
Old 09 April 2011, 08:27 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by elitek
yeah i cant argue about that,but always did in between other service intervals..ok maybe i'm 5% to blame,but there must have been an issue somewhere within the 30-34 k
The thing is had you been checking it you'd have noticed it eating the oil. Then you might have had a chance to do something about it. Not having a go though mate, s**t happens
Old 09 April 2011, 08:27 PM
elitek
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jsfb
Broke mine twice Grieves replaced both times under warrenty, sold it back to them as IM wouldnt extend the warranty. You screwed as it tuned, it gives IM the perfect excuse not to fix it they will just blame the mapper. What colour is your hatch? Did you buy it from Grieves?
mine is the silver spark one kicking about the area.. and it was andy forrest who remapped it about 18 months ago
Old 09 April 2011, 08:29 PM
elitek
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
The thing is had you been checking it you'd have noticed it eating the oil. Then you might have had a chance to do something about it. Not having a go though mate, s**t happens
yeh i know,just gotta take it on the chin..ouch
Old 09 April 2011, 09:00 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

Hi elitek yeah I would help you and members of the scoobynet who have a hatchback inc myself to take legal action against IM Group/Subaru UK I also own a hatchback on a 59 plate. I am the second owner and I found out the previous owner had short engine turbo etc on the car and I suspect this engine could be re living the same problem.

I work in the legal profession I am concerned about the possible floor in the pistons/rings/ringland etc and I think if I can produce to them enough paperwork from owners of the 2.5 hatch and possibly previous shape 2.5 engines there is a problem with the engine it might be worthwhile. I would however need full support from all members with a hatchback or previous who have had the same problem and indeed would be quite happy with sufficient evidence to hand, to lodge an application with the court.

Why should we pay out to upgrade pistons etc! My car is as standard and always has been, and even people who have modified there cars and have had problems this is not negate IM Sub etc from their responsibility. Gives them the perfect excuse but we all know this is bull. Indeed I am alarmed to read the stories on Scoobynet concerning the 2.5 and personally I think its time to reverse the table.

Are you and members with the 2.5 who have had problems with rings etc interested; do people reading this thread think my response is OTT and the problems are few and far between. I need to know. From what I've read no!

Yes modern engine do use oil but there does seem to be to many postings concerning failures this engine to be an anomaly.

Cheers

Tom

Last edited by Tommy2396; 09 April 2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09 April 2011, 09:23 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

To add to the post above I have a had a fair few Impreza's without major issues although I admit yes its a turbocharged car which needs careful handling and attention but from what I can gather there does seem to be an issue and that what I have read it was put down to a dodgy mapping but my gut feeling says its a bit more and seems to only affect the sti and higher powered models.

If people can pm me who have had problems and also please could people with 2.5s who had not had problems with mileage etc pm me and obviously on this basis I see whether it would be worth taking it any further.

I know a link which I have read does exist which raises the 2.5 issue but still a think we need an even balance.

Tom
Old 09 April 2011, 09:39 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Petersti
Had mine nine years, check the oil every three months !

Change it every six months.

dunx
Old 09 April 2011, 09:59 PM
elitek
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tommy2396
Hi elitek yeah I would help you and members of the scoobynet who have a hatchback inc myself to take legal action against IM Group/Subaru UK I also own a hatchback on a 59 plate. I am the second owner and I found out the previous owner had short engine turbo etc on the car and I suspect this engine might be re living the same problem.

I am a property lawyer with my own firm and I am also a consultant for a firms of solicitors who undertake litigation and I am extremely concerned about the floor in the pistons/rings/ringland etc and I think if I can drown them in enough paperwork from owners of the 2.5 hatch and possibly previous shape 2.5 engines there is absolutely no denying that there is a problem with the engine. I would however need full support from all members with a hatchback or previous who have had the same problem and indeed would be quite happy with sufficient evidence to hand, to lodge an application with the court.

Why should we pay out to upgrade pistons etc! My car is as standard and always has been, and even people who have modified there cars and have had problems this is not negate IM Sub etc from their responsibility. Gives them the perfect excuse but we all know this is bull. Indeed I am extremely alarmed to read the stories on Scoobynet concerning the 2.5 and personally I think its time to reverse the table.

Are you and members with the 2.5 who have had problems with rings etc interested; do people reading this thread think my response is OTT and the problems are few and far between. I need to know. From what I've read no!

Cheers

Tom
thanks for your input Tom,and i would be willing to assist if we get enough support for owners/ex owners of the new sti...

mike
Old 09 April 2011, 10:02 PM
jsfb
Scooby Regular

Elitek. Mine was spark silver my vin was JF1GRFKH38G011904. Please check this isnt the car you have ended up with. If it is you may have a good case for getting IM to pay up.
Old 09 April 2011, 10:06 PM
jsfb
Scooby Regular

Tommy, more than happy to share all the details and correspondace with IM on my hatch engine failures.
Old 09 April 2011, 10:07 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

Ok if you can pm me. I might have your spark silver have to check VIN! Oh no elitek was 2008! Sorry!

Last edited by Tommy2396; 09 April 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09 April 2011, 10:10 PM
elitek
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jsfb
Elitek. Mine was spark silver my vin was JF1GRFKH38G011904. Please check this isnt the car you have ended up with. If it is you may have a good case for getting IM to pay up.
mine was bought new from iain grieve ...ta
Old 09 April 2011, 10:10 PM
jsfb
Scooby Regular

Loads of info herehttp://www.facebook.com/login/setash...54351337932314 and on subarus own facebook page.
Old 09 April 2011, 10:15 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mike, a few recollections there. I just feel it's just something thats needs addressing but I need a clear list of of who's had probs who's not and advice from professionals in the know about these engines.

Cheers
Old 10 April 2011, 09:27 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

hi tommy pm'd you with some info about my 07 2.5 sti
Old 10 April 2011, 11:34 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Has the engine been stripped yet?
if not then if you really want to pursue this legally, get it independently assessed or have indie. engineer at dealership for strip down.
Look for ringland failure letting the oil pass, but it may still get blamed on a poor remap leading to detonation and ringland breakup.

Failed 2.5 engines on modified cars are not known to get through the rigorous assessment for warranty claims.
The low sales figures and high failure rate has put paid to dealers turning a blind eye.
Old 10 April 2011, 06:51 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Had my 08 STI from new and had no problems (only done 12000 miles). Been banging on about the Hatch failure rate for ages but Subaru couldn't really give a $%*!.

Always felt that this issue will catch up with them and I still believe their day will come.
Old 10 April 2011, 06:55 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

Is this also an issue with the hawkeye 2.5 engines or is it just the hatches?
Old 10 April 2011, 07:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by scooby1929
Is this also an issue with the hawkeye 2.5 engines or is it just the hatches?
All the 2.5ltr STI engines have similar issues though the hatch issues had the added bonus of having a different map that was maybe a little too lean at the top end (hence they changed it a few times), but the engines are basically the same and suffer the same issues (pistons/piston rings, HG's on the MY06's were problematic etc).

Tony
Old 10 April 2011, 09:58 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Maybe I missed it but when you say"goosed" you never actually stated the symptoms. Has the lack of oil run the bearings or are you getting piston noise from ringland failure? It's being assumed that ringland failure has allowed the engine to drink it's oil so are you saying that the bearings are now shot?

JohnD
Old 10 April 2011, 10:14 PM
elitek
Scooby Newbie

hey john. from what i have been told by mechanics who have looked and listened to it the banging is coming from the bottom end of engine but i cant get exact fault until its all stripped apart. sooner the better so i can get on with life

Quick Reply: blown engine on new shape 08 sti