twin turbo (new to forum)

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2011, 03:27 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin turbo (new to forum)

Hi,

I've spent the last month or so pawing over japanese cars I boiled my long list down to the GTO, Lancer, Scooby Supra, skyline, MK 2. i recon its going to be the scooby just on price. looks like i can pick up a 97-98 wrx or slightly newer sti or wrx for reasonable money.

i have a few questions and figured you guys would be the best guys to ask. I had a lot of time for the pug306.net forum and hope the community here is the same to be honest its kind of deal breaker for me.

I'm going to want to juice this car up pretty silly so was wondering.

1. for those of you over 30 with 2 or more ncb what d you generally look at a month for insurance.

2. with the older cars can you add a second turbo or would i even want to,i can't see any reason why not but am just at the start of my research so would appreciate any advice in this area.

3. the pug was an absolute ***** to work on with no space and badly thought out. since i'm going to be spending a fair part of my life under or in the engine bay how are they space and lay out wise?

Last edited by luke1979; 02 May 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02 May 2011, 03:43 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

oh further to that any purchase advice, common problems etc would be really greatly received

thanks in advance

luke o
Old 02 May 2011, 05:01 PM
fred388
Scooby Regular

ok i cant really help u mechanically on these,but not heard or read anyone on here with a 2nd turbo in it, but with insurance im 29yrs old,insured in a good area,6points,and a claim 3years ago,now on 5yrs ncb i pay 750 for the year through keith michaels on this forum.
the bits ive done myself ive not found the engine bad to work on compasred to other cars ive had.
sure someone will be along soon with better mechanical advice, but its a great forum for help/suggestions ect, where u based
Old 02 May 2011, 05:13 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

i live in portsmouth bud, so about £65 quid month i can live with that.

i'm going to have a we look at the workshop manual and figure it out for myself.

my pug was a nightmare for reliability what can i expect in terms of this and that going, how stable are the electrics what are the mechanical weak points?

thanks for the reply bud
Old 02 May 2011, 05:21 PM
Hobstar82
Scooby Regular

There is a post on here, page 3 at the mo- "ej20 twin turbo" by rssmotorx and a chap by the name of ian.e has commented on his thread. Looks like he is running a twin turbo, I'm sure it'll be fine if you private message him for any info.
The engines on the early models aren't too bad to work on compared to transverse pug engines, especially if youre competent, but still a squeeze! There are plenty of ppl on here who will help along the way with tech info.
Insurance wise, personally for me- 5yrs NCB, aged 29 on a 1999 classic with protected NCB and legal protection £450
Old 02 May 2011, 05:24 PM
Hobstar82
Scooby Regular

Bottom end is the main weak point (on the earlier cars anyway) if you start pushing over 320 on a standard car your gonna want to start upgrading internals and gearbox

Last edited by Hobstar82; 02 May 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02 May 2011, 05:29 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking tune your car,look for newer models of Impreza(2001 onwards),you can pick up WRX 2001 for around £2500,these car are generally good cars,internals are good up to 400bhp,gearboxes are not too strong(some will hold 350bhp),standard turbo on WRX is good up to 280bhp,if you want more you may look for bigger turbo(twin turbo conversion is not for Impreza),remap cost around £225-£350(OS-Open Source) or £550(EcuTek),brakes are really bad(i will advise have look for good pads and discs at least,PM here Bob@Aztec Performance or Ian@Godspeed brakes,kevlar pads and discs cost £90).

Jura
Old 02 May 2011, 05:30 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

What are the cost implications of that kind of behavior
I know internals can be cheap I picked up a replacement piston brand new for thirty quid listed as nine hundred from a dealer. I guess its about quality not price though if I get close to 300 I'll be happy
Old 02 May 2011, 05:35 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luke1979
What are the cost implications of that kind of behavior
I know internals can be cheap I picked up a replacement piston brand new for thirty quid listed as nine hundred from a dealer. I guess its about quality not price though if I get close to 300 I'll be happy
Almost everyone who hunting BHP,have engine forged with something like this kit,this is 2.1 stroker kit

http://www.advancedautomotives.com/c...-kits-58-c.asp

Jura
Old 02 May 2011, 05:39 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

TBH fella if you want twin turbo then opt for a legacy.
Old 02 May 2011, 05:49 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

I"m not really emotionally attached to any one idea I'm open to the idea of uprating the internals and finding some bad *** ball bearing turbo but first I think I need to look at fmic's headders those uneven exaust dealies a strait through and brake upgrades well realisticly the fist thing I need to do is buy the car

Thanks for the replies though guys looks like its a nice friendly active forum

Cheers and nice to meet you all

Luke o
Old 02 May 2011, 05:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Important point: DO NOT buy cars pre 99 if you want to tune them, as they have an ecu that can't be mapped. That's certainly true for the 97/8 cars, and MAY be true foir ealier cars.

UK cars start out with only 208 bhp and have less toys and weaker engines. Imports are better to tune as they have stronger engines and more toys to start with.

If I were starting agin, I'd be looking for a Version 5 or Version 6 STi, (99 and 00).

Or get a bugeye, (01 onwards), they are a bit heavier but have better bodywork, stiffer etc, and nicer inside.
Old 02 May 2011, 06:01 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

You wont be needing to touch any internals with only 300 as a target. If you're looking at an import, then that figure will be very easy to achieve.

De-cat Exhaust
Re-mappable chip or ECU
Decent panel filter

Done.
Old 02 May 2011, 06:15 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

I don't really want to spend more than 2k on the car itself knowing that I'm going to take it apart so really what what your saying is I need a 99+01 import. What engine codes are those going to be ?
Old 02 May 2011, 07:05 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

this may sound odd on a scooby forum, but if your looking for easy big power, have you considered a Skyline R33 GTS-T? Don't get me wrong, I love my scooby to pieces, but I have a mate with a GTS-T - RB25 engine is ridiculously solid, loads of parts, easy to work on - and he is running just over 400bhp...

I am probably going to get a whole world of abuse from other scooby owners for this post on here , but it is definitely a serious option... just trying to help!!
Old 02 May 2011, 07:28 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

Skyline is very much an option but its quit a long car and you tend to mostly see automatics about it would be my best option if I can't get a tunable scooby for<2k was also looking very very closely at the. Gto or 3000 depending the 6j7 is supposed to be pretty sweet or a supra with a 2jz-gte in it maybe a mkii or iv with the ge and add the t
Old 02 May 2011, 07:45 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by luke1979
Skyline is very much an option but its quit a long car and you tend to mostly see automatics about it would be my best option if I can't get a tunable scooby for<2k was also looking very very closely at the. Gto or 3000 depending the 6j7 is supposed to be pretty sweet or a supra with a 2jz-gte in it maybe a mkii or iv with the ge and add the t
another friend of mine had a supra vi with 2JZ-GE, and had a 2JZ-GTE conversion. paid £4k for decent car, and £3k for conversion, then had no traction control, and 5 speed box. not worth it in my opinion... depends what you want though! he loved it because he loved supra's. personally, I would defo go with impreza or skyline. old Evo's are still expensive, and I don't know GTO's well enough to comment.
Old 03 May 2011, 11:08 AM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

That's handy to know

No one able to tell me the engine codes I'm looking for on the scooby?
Old 03 May 2011, 11:57 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

http://tinyurl.com/6gb6kxv

Last edited by bigsinky; 03 May 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03 May 2011, 12:04 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

That google thing is sooooo funny look you tard I know I can google scooby engine numbers I have been doing just that for the past two weeks if you'd actually bothered to read the thread you just. posted in you would be able to see that

What I'm doing is asking a group of expirienced individls their opinions

If you can be constructive do one
Old 03 May 2011, 12:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's your aim?

2k, forget it, you will spend most of that on just the engine (internals), let alone the car...

Insurance will depend on where you are/postcode/car/age/ncb/points etc, best to hit the insurance section for that

Twin turbo was only on the Legacy twin turbo, and no it wasnt exactly good either, your better off with a smaller single turbo for the quicker spool up or maybe a hybrid, though thats another 1k gone....

A 2k budget isnt going to get you anything exciting, after that 2k what sort of money are you looking at?
You have to understand that if you want to get "easy power" then forget what your looking at, save up more and pick up an early MY01 JDM STI with all the good bits in place (4-5k on average) or an MY02 UK/JDM for 5ish k, they are alot better, stronger engines, gearboxes, bigger and better brakes, no need to be going in and replacing internals (400bhp on a well maintained unit will be reliable), and if you want to work on the engines, your going to have to take it out of the engine bay.

I would check out some of the projects in the project section, get an idea what these cars are like to work on, note that parts can be very expensive, nothing like a pug to work on and need more tlc.

Tony
Old 03 May 2011, 05:42 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

So tony by what your saying getting a scooby with a decent engine. Is going. To cost upwards of four k and that's without me having any fun with it. For that kind of money I could just get a lancer or a. Skyline. Now that's all been said I'm wondering what attracts everyone to this car is it that you get a lot of cheap 1.6s so the. mindless racer types can make them look pretty but not put in any wrench time
Old 03 May 2011, 05:50 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

agree with what tony saying, there's little point in buying an old scoob for 2k or less as you say so you can then remove the engine and spend all yer time and money doinf stuff!! makes no sense and yeah these are flat four's so any internal work engine out, i would save up more cash and buy one that you dont need to spend the same on the car as buying it to get the power
Old 03 May 2011, 05:51 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

Sorry tony didn't answer you question aim is to have fun with a petrol engine have stripped and rebuilt the old xud learned a lot now I want to look at something with rwd or 4wd without a lateral engine. I'm not after big power but if 300 is achievable with some sound well thought out effort then sweet

I learned a long time ago if your not a rich genius you aint gona build the fastest anything.

Journey not the destination I love engines and the sense of achievment you get from taking them appart and putting them back together

Big power the concept makes me laugh really all the dreamers dreaming
Old 03 May 2011, 05:51 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

you have come on here for advice from people that know these cars WELL, best to listen to advice given especially from someone with as much knowlege as tony
Old 03 May 2011, 06:03 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

Who said anything about not listening to tony he said 4k for something decent I said for that I'll get a skyline as a more stable platform for the money geez some of you don't read to good hey

I would say relax a little I'm not a chav boy racer I have time and respect for everyone so there really is no need to tell me off for not listening to your man tony there especially when I did

Reel it in
Old 03 May 2011, 06:36 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

mate you have read what i said wrong, it was a statement, not telling you off,getting at you nor anything else, i never said you were not listening?

geez some of you don't read to good hey,(exactly what you have done)

prime example of how things can be picked up wrong sorry bud

Last edited by wrx fifer; 03 May 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03 May 2011, 06:45 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

Its all good I'm happy to admit I may have been a tad reactionary there it was a crappy train ride and I probably would read tao te ching as lairy at that point apology accepted and offered

I am a little gutted though is there really no way to pick up a budget model and.invest parts and labour over time. Say my short term cap is 2k but I don't care spending 200 quid a month for 3 years getting her up to spec and don't care about engine in engine out. What's the best route then?
Old 03 May 2011, 06:51 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

your deff looking at a classic for that budget, best bet i would say is stick to an import and forget about uk cars, youyr looking at a wrx probably for that cash or an sti if your lucky enough to fin a decent one.
but better and stronger engines as said above
Old 03 May 2011, 07:00 PM
luke1979
Scooby Newbie

So what's with this mapping issue on the older engines ecu's I was scanning this thread and one of the guys has 95 oma tuned car now I'm showing my ignorance but that to me says the older cars can be specd up. I'm sure an old sti or wrx is where I'm at but I am a bit put off by the impossible to map statement. Remember. My current car doesn't even have an ecu I'm used to hands on mechanical tuning and this is a big step into the unknown for me

Cheers for the help by the way

Quick Reply: twin turbo (new to forum)