Notices

Header noise

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2011, 10:14 PM
phil.s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header noise

Got my turbo to up pipe gasket today to fit as it was missing when I got the car but then also found there were no gaskets fitted between the head and the manifold No wonder my turbo wont boost!

Anyway I replaced all of the associated gaskets but it sounds like its leaking still. Its fitted with a tubular stainless (I think) header and I just cant find any signs of a leak anywhere. was starting to think maybe its just the noise you get with this type of manifold. the sounds coming from the side nearest the collector.

Sprayed realy thick soapy water on all the joins but no sign of any leaks.

Whatchya reckon??
Old 05 May 2011, 01:54 AM
stringostar
Scooby Regular

hey phil, this post is exactly what i was gonna put! i'm having the exact same problem! i have tried what you have, new gaskets etc, and still it sounds like its blowing.... the sound is more prominent from the drivers side front, under the headlight... i have been under the car with it running and it sounds as if its the tube coming the passenger side, at the point where they join into one... my next step is to remove again, use exhaust paste on the gaskets and see what that does!
Old 05 May 2011, 02:25 AM
14N-FR
Scooby Regular

I have just fitted Harvey's headers and up pipe and my exhaust note has changed quite a bit and at full rev's the exhaust sounds like it could be blowing but I am sure it isnt.

Can anyone else confirm their exhaust note changed when they fitted tubular headers?
Old 05 May 2011, 04:11 AM
ironbridge
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my exhaust note changed a lot when i fitted headers. more raspy tinny sound - sounded like it was blowing.

wrapped the headers and this noise went away, sounds normal now just a little deeper
Old 05 May 2011, 07:15 AM
phil.s
Scooby Regular

Thats a little more reassuring then. Havent taken it out yet as I've removed the dash. Will see what happens when its all back together. Lost 0.5 bar of boost over the period of a day, can see why now! Will let you know what happens with it. Raspy and tinny is exactly what it sounds like.

stringostar let me know if that works because gasket glue was my next idea.

Last edited by phil.s; 05 May 2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05 May 2011, 07:39 PM
stringostar
Scooby Regular

ironbridge, what do you mean wrapped the headers?

phil.s will do mate, gonna be over the next few days when i do it! i doubt it will work tho cos there is no sign of any leakage onto the head (usual black deposit).. i also took out the bungs which are in mine and put some copper washers on, but they didnt make any difference... i also get a backfire from the front, which sounds likes its coming from the same place as the rasping.... bit of a weird one is this...

keep you poster

stringo
Old 05 May 2011, 07:48 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Slip joint is common.

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2011, 10:01 PM
phil.s
Scooby Regular

Had another listen tonight and i'm convinced its just the noise they make. Doesnt seem to get any worst when you rev the engine. Gutted I took the dash out now to re-flock it. Suppose thats the price I pay for my impatience! I'll be able to drive it saturday all being well so I'll let you know.
Old 06 May 2011, 10:24 AM
stringostar
Scooby Regular

i'm convinced its blowing phil... it sounds too noisy.... i must say tho, when i changed the gaskets, it seems to spool up quicker and the exhaust sounds nicer