Notices

K&N Typhoon

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2011, 11:33 PM
darrenx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Typhoon

If I fit the following to my gb270 will i gain the extra 15+ bhp they advertise..??? Also would i have to remap for this or will it just be ok to install this??

Thanks all
Old 07 July 2011, 11:38 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This K&N Typhoon will cause more problem than power(will mess your MAF and at end will kill your engine),i would recommend rather Remap than this K&N.

On your engine will not make 15bhp without the mapping,but i doubt after remap will make claimed 15bhp increase.
Rather invest money to remap from £225-£350 and you will have nice and responsive car.

Jura
Old 08 July 2011, 12:07 AM
darrenx
Scooby Regular

Why are Subaru's so hard to increase performance and need a remap every time you want to do things to it..??? Why are these things advertised and do not say on website about this or did I miss something? As for this remap what would you sugest I ask for to gt the best out of my GB270? I live middlesbrough area and am prepared to travel As for a replacement filter filter am I for now just better of buying a replacement performance pannel filter?
Old 08 July 2011, 12:10 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darrenx
Why are Subaru's so hard to increase performance and need a remap every time you want to do things to it..??? Why are these things advertised and do not say on website about this or did I miss something? As for this remap what would you sugest I ask for to gt the best out of my GB270? I live middlesbrough area and am prepared to travel As for a replacement filter filter am I for now just better of buying a replacement performance pannel filter?
Yes. Typhoons will give you a few ftlbs (about 5) with a remap but negligable bhp increase
Old 08 July 2011, 12:23 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

How to say there,Subaru ECU control almost everything and can learn,but not learn from fitting bigger turbo,injectors,cone filters etc.

Why are these things are not in advert?
Because after saying there:"You will need remap after fitting K&N Typhoon and you will see small increase" will nobody buying this cone filter.

Best if you contact here mappers here like Duncan@Race Dynamix,Neil@Slowboy Racing or Rich@FB Tuning and Simon@JGM(he doing EcuTek and price for EcuTek remap is from £550)

About the your power,i think you have all ready enough power from your turbo TD04,if you want more power i would suggest VF34 or VF43,VF35 these you will find here in For sale section.

For panel filter K&N panel filter or Green Cotton Panel Filter are mostly used,Cosworth Panel filter are used too.

Jura
Old 08 July 2011, 12:28 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

only thing to add to the vf43 etc is you will need a sti intercooler and undertray then your wrx box becomes an issue
Old 11 July 2011, 04:25 PM
darrenx
Scooby Regular

Anyone know the best place middlesbrough way to get this remap???

And will this typhoon filter really kill my engine..????
Old 11 July 2011, 05:34 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

I would recommend here contact Duncan@Race Dynamix ( http://racedynamix.co.uk/ )he is mobile and will come to you or nearest town/city..

Yes can kill engine or MAF,Induction kit without the proper remap and you are asking for trouble,just run off the boost until you will have car mapped for IK(induction kit)

Jura
Old 11 July 2011, 06:06 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want more power (maybe 300-360/375) you're far better off sticking with the OEM airbox and going with a decent panel filter.
Green filters made over 6-7bhp over standard in a back to back test run by Japanese Performance.

Cone filters, whether enclosed or not, will increase the airflow coming into the engine and the ECU won't have been programmed to compensate, hence you could end up running too lean or rich, the former could lead to your engine expiring.

With 270bhp out of a WRX spec, you're already toward the top of your power on that turbo (TD04 I believe?).
Spend your money more wisely instead on a better turbo either from the STI or aftermarket (e.g. TD05 18G, VF34/35/39/43) and some pink injectors from an STI, which, if you combine them with a bigger STI intercooler should see you knocking on around 340-350bhp (or more with the right turbo). You might want a better fuel pump as well....ask the mapper.
With the money you'd spend on a Typhoon filter brand new, you can pick up at least 1/2 of this kit second hand.
I managed to get a second hand STI I/C for £100, and a VF35 and injectors for £350.

With just a Prodrive sports cat, decat centre, and 3" back with Green panel filter and Walbro, my WRX went from 210bhp to 281bhp on the standard TD04 and WRX I/C at my last map with Simon.
Cost me £140 for the sports cat and decat, and £40 for the filter ages back.
I'm hoping to make about 330-340 when I fit the STI top mount, turbo and injectors, which should be more than enough for me!

As for mappers, most travel. Pat Herborne, Bob Rawle, Dynamix, Andy Forrest, Jolly Green Monster, etc are all well known and respected.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 11 July 2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11 July 2011, 06:12 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Couple of handy links for the OP:
GB270 --> GB340 http://forums.sidc.co.uk/topic/124767-gb-340/
Which Turbo Upgrade for a GB270 - https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...70-2007-a.html
Old 11 July 2011, 08:07 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Typhoon is only rated for 300bhp isnt it?
Old 11 July 2011, 08:54 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

I can see why they call it "Typhoon" It's because after you've fitted one, you'll think a tree has fallen on your car.
Total Cack. Avoid.
It's shocking that K and N are still flogging it, despite it being obvious to anybody who took the trouble to test one that it radically alters MAF outputs with no hint on the box warning "RE MAP OR DIE".
Old 11 July 2011, 09:01 PM
darrenx
Scooby Regular

Thanx all for your help.... its complex all this need to get a credit card.... If I take it to around 300 wth a turbo etc how will this effect the insurance for the car and would I have to declare the remap as the ones I have seen say they are undetectable....?
Old 11 July 2011, 09:20 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

NEVER try to save a few quid by not declaring any mods, itll bite you in the end.
Old 12 July 2011, 07:53 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
It's shocking that K and N are still flogging it, despite it being obvious to anybody who took the trouble to test one that it radically alters MAF outputs with no hint on the box warning "RE MAP OR DIE".